JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's their rather scathing article about how greatly disappointed they are with Obama's lack of interest in gun control:

<broken link removed>

In it, they refer to his first year of presidency as an "abject failure" for gun control... for reasons such as his administration's disinterest in things like closing the "gun show loophole", reinstating the assault weapons ban, and various other gun control measures. They also state that he's repealed more gun control measures in his first year in the White House than G.W. Bush did in his entire 8 years as president.

I find it rather interesting, particularly since President Obama has been called the most anti-gun candidate ever to run for president. Now, it's obvious the reason the current administration is distancing itself from gun control because it's already struggling with issues like the war, healthcare reform, the economy, among others. Gun control would be political suicide. Congress sees it the same way. But to be fair, even though Obama has made numerous anti-gun statements in the past, gun control was never a major part of his campaign, and IMO, the Brady Campaign is transforming somewhat vague statements and interpreting them as concrete promises and then expressing their disappointment that Obama hasn't kept promises that he didn't really make to begin with. When Obama won the election and the Dems got the majority in Congress, the Brady folks said it was proof that the public wanted gun control, and that Obama has let the public down. The facts seem to state the opposite, and that the public will not accept greater gun control measures, and that even though President Obama is not a friend to gun ownership, he does seem to have enough regard for the will of people not to attempt any major effort to abridge gun rights.

even though President Obama is not a friend to gun ownership, he does seem to have enough regard for the will of people not to attempt any major effort to abridge gun rights.

Regard for the will of the people? :s0140:

They only thing Obama has regard for is his own agenda. He knows gun control is a losing issue. While I'm sure he would sign a gun control bill if one came to his desk, most democrats in swing states have no desire to commit political suicide. They will still try incremental restrictions, but nothing really blatant.

even though President Obama is not a friend to gun ownership, he does seem to have enough regard for the will of people not to attempt any major effort to abridge gun rights.

They only thing Obama has regard for is his own agenda...

That's politics! Almost all of major politicians have agendas. Just about every president that's ever been has had an "agenda." The only thing that ever stands in the way is what the people will and won't stand for. The president, and the Congress see that the people won't stand for another AWB (the people didn't stand for the last one), and so, they don't attempt it.

They only thing Obama has regard for is his own agenda. He knows gun control is a losing issue. While I'm sure he would sign a gun control bill if one came to his desk, most democrats in swing states have no desire to commit political suicide. They will still try incremental restrictions, but nothing really blatant.

+1 Yup!

He's kind of tied up with the health care debacle at the moment. But me thinks once that is done, he will set sights on the gun control issue. Not sure what will come of it, but he'll try, just as he's trying with health care.

He's kind of tied up with the health care debacle at the moment. But me thinks once that is done, he will set sights on the gun control issue. Not sure what will come of it, but he'll try, just as he's trying with health care.

I doubt it. He knows it's a political loser, and there are plenty of other things he wants to regulate first (banks, education, etc.)

Will he? Yes, he's already made it clear using his mouth piece Eric Holder. Less than two weeks after he took office actually. The basic statement was: "We're going to reinstate the 94 crime (of a) bill but make it permanent and add just a few things to it". Neat. Death of 2A is in the crosshairs have no doubt. Feinstein said that it will be reintroduced when she thinks the time is right on 60 minutes last year. All Dem senators were totally willing to vote for Obamacare knowing it would be the death of their careers as politicians. Does all of this mean a bill would actually pass? Sure, if it's put as a rider on some omnibus spending bill. As a stand alone? Not a chance. Too many blue dogs from states that would kick them to the curb in the next election. To think it's not something floating around and not being openly discussed is na&#239;ve. We all want to think that politicians have our best interest's front and center but they don't. Their careers and the power that comes with being a politician is what's important to them not you, not me, not our kids.

Sorry for the rant, this kind of stuff boils me.

All you guys have missed how they are quietly promoting the UN treaty approach. Outside of Congress...Hillary Clinton as Sec of State has endorsed the arms and ammunition trade control agreement treaty to the glee of Brits and Europeans, that has been around since the early 90's. Bush and Bolton quashed it and now it has reared it's head again. Bad bad news for us, this monster will outlaw reloading and ban private gun ownership.
I am speaking of a specific treaty they are pushing.
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDMeDmV0ufU

All you guys have missed how they are quietly promoting the UN treaty approach. Outside of Congress...Hillary Clinton as Sec of State has endorsed the arms and ammunition trade control agreement treaty to the glee of Brits and Europeans, that has been around since the early 90's. Bush and Bolton quashed it and now it has reared it's head again. Bad bad news for us, this monster will outlaw reloading and do much more damage. I'll find and post more details!

Actually, no, we haven't missed it. Obama has been trying to cede US Sovereignty to the UN since he came into office and started his "apology tour". This is part of what I talked about when I said they will try to propose restrictions incrementally. I doubt they will propose what Rebecca Peters and her minions want outright, but they may try to accept parts of it to be "good world citizens in fighting International arms trade". Just like they've been trying to blame Mexico's crime and corruption on US gun dealers.

Speaking of did any one catch Obama's speech today. Sounds like he's getting a little desparate. Now is when he starts losing the people that were still with him after all the BS.

I think if he went ahead and tried to pass gun control he's get stopped again, but I'm sure he's too focused on getting his baby of health care passed.

This is going to be a rough few years.

Speaking of did any one catch Obama's speech today. Sounds like he's getting a little desparate. Now is when he starts losing the people that were still with him after all the BS.

I think if he went ahead and tried to pass gun control he's get stopped again, but I'm sure he's too focused on getting his baby of health care passed.

This is going to be a rough few years.

Amen brother. I just hope we can survive three more years of this clown.

The opposition isn't as strong as we think, and we're not as weak as we think! There's too much defeatism going around. When we read about the confiscation in the Philippines, we say things like, "Oh, watch, soon that'll be happening here." But if that's the case, then what's the point? Are we just waiting for that fateful day when we're forced to sheepishly hand over our guns? Or do we actually have enough say to make sure that day never comes? I think the article stands as proof that despite the broken political system we have to put up with, if people make their voices heard, their rights don't have to disappear. Like I said, President Obama has often been called the most anti-gun person ever to hold the office of president, yet thus far, he's avoided enacting an new AWB, and doesn't even speak on the subject, and basically doesn't want to touch the whole gun control issue. Why do you suppose that is? Is it because he's learned to like guns? If only. As we've established, because it's political suicide. But why is it political suicide? Because of the will of the people.

We have made our voices heard. When Obama took office, Americans bought guns in record amounts, including a lot of first gun buyers. That sent a very big message on where people stood on gun control, and where they stood on trust of government. We need to continue to make our voices heard, but that is the only reason we haven't had an outright attack on our 2nd amendment rights.

We have made our voices heard. When Obama took office, Americans bought guns in record amounts, including a lot of first gun buyers. That sent a very big message on where people stood on gun control, and where they stood on trust of government. We need to continue to make our voices heard, but that is the only reason we haven't had an outright attack on our 2nd amendment rights.

Obama - voted salesman of the year by the firearms industry for 2009! :s0114:

Brady Bastards said:
In a year punctuated by mass shootings, ambush killings of police, assault weapon-toting protestors, and profligate gun trafficking from U.S. gun shops that threatens the stability of Mexico, President Obama's first-year record on gun violence prevention has been an abject failure.
Mexico? Really? They want us to be concerned about the stability of Mexico? Not Here?

Also as we all know, how many crimes committed with firearms were from people who were supposed to have them and with guns they obtained through legal channels? Not very many. Enacting stricter gun control only takes the ability for citizens to defend themselves away and puts more power in the criminal's hands who don't care about gun control laws.

I love how they always try to highlight criminal gun violence and skip over this point. In countries where they have enacted strict gun laws, gun crime did not go down at all, and in some cases, actually increased because the criminals knew that law-abiding citizens were helpless to defend themselves from that point on.

The danger of Obama will come when he officially gains "lame duck" status. Either in 2012 or towards the end of his (gulp) 2nd term.
As soon as he knows he can't/won't be re-elected, he will fulfill his promises to the gun control folks. He'll turn Holder loose and we'll spend the next 2-4 years getting executive orders overturned.

Scary I know. The best we can hope for is a close election in 2012,... That he loses.

Mexico? Really? They want us to be concerned about the stability of Mexico? Not Here?

Also as we all know, how many crimes committed with firearms were from people who were supposed to have them and with guns they obtained through legal channels? Not very many. Enacting stricter gun control only takes the ability for citizens to defend themselves away and puts more power in the criminal's hands who don't care about gun control laws.

I love how they always try to highlight criminal gun violence and skip over this point. In countries where they have enacted strict gun laws, gun crime did not go down at all, and in some cases, actually increased because the criminals knew that law-abiding citizens were helpless to defend themselves from that point on.

Mexican drug violence was big news last year, the claim is that most of the weapons used in this drug war come from the US. The Mexican Gov asked our Gov to do something about it. Your're right it isn't really our problem, though the US buys most of the drugs they are fighting ove, but that is the tie in to Mexico.

The two highest categories for gun deaths in the US are accidents (or unexplained) followed by suicides. After that you get the homicide demographics with the majority of them taking place in urban areas using handguns, done by men between 15 and 24 who are very often gang members. So by your distinction we could prob. say the guns used were not obtained via legal means since many of the shooters would be too young.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top