JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A store is a place of public accommodation if they sell goods to the general public. If one of your sons, for instance, who happened to be between the ages of 18-20 attempts to purchase a rifle or shotgun, or ammo for a rifle or shotgun, from one of these places, then please contact me. Time is of the essence.

The one about nobody here is a lawyer?
in full disclosure I deleted my reply to yours a moment before because after I replied I wasnt certain I understood what you were saying.

and I didnt re read thru this thread to see if I missed a comment from an actual lawyer here... great, will look forward to hearing from him on this...

"Public accommodations, in US law, are generally defined as facilities, both public and private, used by the public. Examples include retail stores, rental establishments, and service establishments as well as educational institutions, recreational facilities, and service centers."

"Public accommodations, in US law, are generally defined as facilities, both public and private, used by the public. Examples include retail stores, rental establishments, and service establishments as well as educational institutions, recreational facilities, and service centers."
good to know.
So how does this apply to the fact that a business has the right to refuse service to anyone?

good to know.
So how does this apply to the fact that a business has the right to refuse service to anyone?

They have a right to refuse service to anyone, unless it's for an unlawful discriminatory reason which in Oregon is: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age (18 or older), except in sales of alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, and in giving discounts to people over 50.

good to know.

They can say that... it ain't true. Protected classes are just that. Of which 18-21 are because of age discrimination which IMO is rarely adjudicated.

BTW that is what foiled the bakers... gays have been determined to be a protected class based on sex.

There are 3, count em, 3 stores in La Grande where one can buy groceries. (Well actually 4. The 4th being a health food store and which side of things do ya think they fall on?) Soooo, we got a Walmart, a Safeway, and a BiMart. Is it time to hit the SHTF supplies????

In that case as I mentioned, most often don't have the "easy choice" to not give their money to a certain store. I used Google as an example earlier. What anyone can do though is not give that grocery store money when you can easily avoid it. Don't buy ammo there. There is still great places to buy that on line as an example. You can also buy a lot of grocery stuff on line often cheaper. Write the store and let them know you are going to avoid your dollars going there for anything you can buy anywhere else. Letter will of course be ignored but you do not have to spend money there for a lot of other stuff.
As I had mentioned before too I would respect a store that just stops selling guns & ammo. If they want to get righteous and bend over for the left just stop selling it at all. I would still shop there then.

It would take a lot of organizing but as the list grows and choices to shop diminish,
What if all 2ndA people could select a chain store to boycott for a week.
The next week another store. The next week another.
If it was united it would wake them up.

Or just stop buying stuff there you can easily get elsewhere. Just because you may have to buy say food at the place does not mean you have to buy ammo there. Or guns. Earlier one poster was talking about the price of a 10/22 At one. It was a very good price. Just looking at one place, Davidson's, I could find the same gun for about a $50 more at several shops. Now $50 is a lot of money to most but how many 10/22's are people going to buy a week, month, even year? So if it was me? I was buying a kid a new .22? I would have no problem paying the extra $50. I sure as hell would not buy the ammo at the place either since I can pretty much match their price online. So even if you can't easily totally avoid a certain store you can divert some of your dollars to another.

They have a right to refuse service to anyone, unless it's for an unlawful discriminatory reason which in Oregon is: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status or age if the individual is of age (18 or older), except in sales of alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, and in giving discounts to people over 50.
I believe under federal law, a FFL does not have to transfer a gun to anyone they are uncomfortable with. I believe you are trumped........

I believe under federal law, a FFL does not have to transfer a gun to anyone they are uncomfortable with. I believe you are trumped........

Under what statute or ATF regulation? I'm looking at 27 CFR section 478.99(b) 27 CFR § 478.99 | eRegulations
and I don't see carte blanche exception like that. I think what they meant when they told you that is that in general you don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to, but that wouldn't apply if the reason you're uncomfortable with the sale is because of a specifically protected characteristic under state law.

Otherwise you could just say you're uncomfortable selling guns to any non-white people.

Under what statute or ATF regulation? I'm looking at 27 CFR section 478.99(b) 27 CFR § 478.99 | eRegulations
and I don't see carte blanche exception like that. I think what they meant when they told you that is that in general you don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to, but that wouldn't apply if the reason you're uncomfortable with the sale is because of a specifically protected characteristic under state law.

Otherwise you could just say you're uncomfortable selling guns to any non-white people.
They were specifically referring to someone that appears unstable or drunk but that could just as easily be assigned to age. They specifically said that it was up to the FFL holder's discretion, young people are not protected by the equal rights act. That law is very specific and narrow.

They were specifically referring to someone that appears unstable or drunk but that could just as easily be assigned to age. They specifically said that it was up to the FFL holder's discression.

Right, but appearing unstable or drunk isn't a protected characteristic. You can refuse to sell to someone if the reason is that specific person is in your opinion unstable. You can't refuse to sell to any 18 year old because you think all 18 year olds are unstable. That's illegal under state law.

Right, but appearing unstable or drunk isn't a protected characteristic. You can refuse to sell to someone if the reason is that specific person is in your opinion unstable. You can't refuse to sell to any 18 year old because you think all 18 year olds are unstable. That's illegal under state law.
Where are they a protected class? All that you are going to accomplish along with making a fee is this type store discontinuing selling all guns and ammo.....that sounds like you are the only winner........typical ambience chaser crap.

Your statement was incorrect as proven by the law I referenced. It's a red herring to steer the argument away from that fact, and I won't fall for the distraction.
Duly noted. I believe what I was saying is that Kate Brown & present company will selectively ignore that law. Kind of like how Obama's DOJ selectively ignored, disregarded and decided not to enforce laws that did not compliment their political agenda. No different with the current leadership in Oregon.

I am not a lawyer but was trained in the application and use of an FFL............and am smart enough to know that federal law has precedence.

Okay, but if you can point out to me that part of the FFL law that states you don't have to sell to anyone you don't want to I'd appreciate it. Because I don't think that's in there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top