Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Boycott Geico

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grunwald, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

There is a story making rounds that Geico cancelled a guy's auto insurance because he owns a firearms parts business and uses that vehicle for conducting his business.

I think this deserves a response in kind from anyone who believes in the 2A - cancell Geico and go with someone else.

2. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

No problem. I've been boycotting Geico ever since I was old enough to drive.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So would you call this an unsubstantiated emotional response to a rumor based on no facts?

Kind of like gun control?

I got nothing for GEICO but good grief when does the rumor and idiotic behavior stop?

4. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

I rather like the Gecko, and the Swine with the pinwheel.

5. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

This one time, a friend of a friend's uncle's niece's brother's sister told me a story about....

If we can get some proof that this really occurred, that would be great.

Boomerang and (deleted member) like this.
  6. keystir

keystir Hillsboro, OR Active Member

what the guy told Geico: I want the cheapest rates possible on auto insurance, I barely ever drive my vehicle anywhere and I absolutely don't use my vehicle for business use.

What the guy really does: Uses his vehicle exclusively to deliver gun parts for his business putting tens of thousands of miles on his vehicle while storing thousands of dollars of steal able merchandise inside.

Geico probably found this out and dropped him for misrepresentation.

7. Grunwald

Idiotic behavior is when people chose to give money to those whose values are counter to theirs. Scanned copy of the letter is available on various gun sites as the guy who received it posted it on his facebook page.
    This site has a copy of it:
    GEICO Insurance - Cancelled policy because Man makes firearms parts

Bigfoot and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Zing!! I'm sure the apologies will be posted soon.

GEICO, Government Employees Insurance Company. Although it's owned privately.

That little pig and the lizard can go do themselves, or each other I'm open minded about CGI interspecies sex

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Damn. Geico just coughed up about $4k to have my hood replaced and entire front end of my car painted just because a rock hit my aluminum hood and left a small 2" dent. All new windshield also because the rock might have caused one of my chips. Cost me $50 comprehensive deductible.

Geico and McCollum Auto (highly recommended - they are great) out on Foster treated me like some sort of royalty. Sporting a 2005 that looks like a 2013 - a special thank you to that dump truck that flinged that rock my way.

Now I feel conflicted. Stupid Geico; why would they give a damn that this guy makes firearm parts? Where is the extra liability exposure in that?

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yep GEICO canceled the policy because they were using a vehicle that their underwriting does not cover.

According to a bunch of insurance guys discussing this its perfectly normal to cancel a policy when the insurer finds out the vehicle is not being used as described in the policy.

The didn't cancel because he's in the firearms industry they canceled because they don't write that kind of a policy for vehicles used to transport weapons. Its a different thing. they are in effect saying had we known the intended use of the vehicle we would have never written this typeof a policy in the first place.

Years ago Farm Bureau insurance canceled my cousins insurance when they found out the 2dr chevy he had listed on the farms insurance policy was in fact a 65 Corvette Stingray. Seams they didn't believe he was pulling an irrigation trailer around the farm with it.

BillB1960 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Not real big on insurance law but this was a Commercial Policy so the vehicle was insured correctly. The guy ran a small machine shop making chamber adapters, he didn't actually make firearms or ammo. A lawn service truck has a greater chance of an explosive accident.

And the GEICO quote: “The reason for cancellation is your vehicle _____ does not meet our underwriting guidelines because it is used in conjunction with a company that deals in the weapons industry“

Yet they advertise for business from people who use their vehicles to work in the Dept. of Defense.

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  12. BillB1960

BillB1960 Hillsboro Active Member

snopes.com: GEICO

13. Grunwald

Snopes is about as trustworthy as George Soros.

Next thing people will try to do is convince others that Craiglist does not have a policy againt selling firearms.

14. SBC97281

SBC97281 Oregon Active Member

Insurance is a contract where two agree to engage in described activities and financial considerations. One one party engages in activities that change the risk calculations negatively that is justification for canceling.

Otherwise people have an incentive to report significantly lower risk and the cost for all goes up.

15. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

I think the letter from GEICO was pretty clear. That they want to backpedal after getting publicity over it doesn't really add much useful to the conversation.

Andy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I boycotted SAFECO when they would not grandfather existing coverage on a home purchased within the family. I'll still go to a game at Safeco Field, and even pony up huge bucks for a dog and a couple beers there, but for insurance they're dead to me.

Another company lost my business when I was a Californian and they would not insure a Harley Davidson motorcycle because they are prone to theft. So called "vanishing deductibles" are a moot point since you pay a lot extra for that distinction. I'd rather be a sane driver and control what I spend instead of coughing it up twice a year, and assuming that I'll be making claims.

Insured with someone else, I got curious and phoned GEICO since they seem to promise the world. Cheaper policy? You bet - at a glance. But the same level of insurance with the same deductibles? Not even close! Several hundred more per year at GEICO, just for a car, a truck and a motorcycle. They have to pay for those clever commercials somehow, yes?

Here's the point. If you price anything - home, scooters, boats, autos, trucks - specify the exact level of coverage you're currently paying for, compare the dectibles, and see how that adds up on a new quote. Simply, I didn't change to GEICO because their premiums would have been substantially higher.