JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So would you call this an unsubstantiated emotional response to a rumor based on no facts?

Kind of like gun control?

I got nothing for GEICO but good grief when does the rumor and idiotic behavior stop?

what the guy told Geico: I want the cheapest rates possible on auto insurance, I barely ever drive my vehicle anywhere and I absolutely don't use my vehicle for business use.

What the guy really does: Uses his vehicle exclusively to deliver gun parts for his business putting tens of thousands of miles on his vehicle while storing thousands of dollars of steal able merchandise inside.

Geico probably found this out and dropped him for misrepresentation.

So would you call this an unsubstantiated emotional response to a rumor based on no facts?

Kind of like gun control?

I got nothing for GEICO but good grief when does the rumor and idiotic behavior stop?

Idiotic behavior is when people chose to give money to those whose values are counter to theirs. Scanned copy of the letter is available on various gun sites as the guy who received it posted it on his facebook page.
This site has a copy of it:
GEICO Insurance - Cancelled policy because Man makes firearms parts

Zing!! I'm sure the apologies will be posted soon.

GEICO, Government Employees Insurance Company. Although it's owned privately.

That little pig and the lizard can go do themselves, or each other I'm open minded about CGI interspecies sex

Damn. Geico just coughed up about $4k to have my hood replaced and entire front end of my car painted just because a rock hit my aluminum hood and left a small 2" dent. All new windshield also because the rock might have caused one of my chips. Cost me $50 comprehensive deductible.

Geico and McCollum Auto (highly recommended - they are great) out on Foster treated me like some sort of royalty. Sporting a 2005 that looks like a 2013 - a special thank you to that dump truck that flinged that rock my way.

Now I feel conflicted. Stupid Geico; why would they give a damn that this guy makes firearm parts? Where is the extra liability exposure in that?

Yep GEICO canceled the policy because they were using a vehicle that their underwriting does not cover.

According to a bunch of insurance guys discussing this its perfectly normal to cancel a policy when the insurer finds out the vehicle is not being used as described in the policy.

The didn't cancel because he's in the firearms industry they canceled because they don't write that kind of a policy for vehicles used to transport weapons. Its a different thing. they are in effect saying had we known the intended use of the vehicle we would have never written this typeof a policy in the first place.

Years ago Farm Bureau insurance canceled my cousins insurance when they found out the 2dr chevy he had listed on the farms insurance policy was in fact a 65 Corvette Stingray. Seams they didn't believe he was pulling an irrigation trailer around the farm with it.

Not real big on insurance law but this was a Commercial Policy so the vehicle was insured correctly. The guy ran a small machine shop making chamber adapters, he didn't actually make firearms or ammo. A lawn service truck has a greater chance of an explosive accident.

And the GEICO quote: “The reason for cancellation is your vehicle _____ does not meet our underwriting guidelines because it is used in conjunction with a company that deals in the weapons industry“

Yet they advertise for business from people who use their vehicles to work in the Dept. of Defense.

snopes.com: GEICO

When we asked GEICO for a statement on the matter, they provided a response stating that how the vehicle was being used (rather than the nature of the owner's business) was the issue:

We spoke with the policyholder in December and there was some misunderstanding/confusion on our part on how he used the vehicle. We have reached out to the policyholder and hope that we can clarify usage of the vehicle and continue his policy.

Insurance is a contract where two agree to engage in described activities and financial considerations. One one party engages in activities that change the risk calculations negatively that is justification for canceling.

Otherwise people have an incentive to report significantly lower risk and the cost for all goes up.

I boycotted SAFECO when they would not grandfather existing coverage on a home purchased within the family. I'll still go to a game at Safeco Field, and even pony up huge bucks for a dog and a couple beers there, but for insurance they're dead to me.

Another company lost my business when I was a Californian and they would not insure a Harley Davidson motorcycle because they are prone to theft. So called "vanishing deductibles" are a moot point since you pay a lot extra for that distinction. I'd rather be a sane driver and control what I spend instead of coughing it up twice a year, and assuming that I'll be making claims.

Insured with someone else, I got curious and phoned GEICO since they seem to promise the world. Cheaper policy? You bet - at a glance. But the same level of insurance with the same deductibles? Not even close! Several hundred more per year at GEICO, just for a car, a truck and a motorcycle. They have to pay for those clever commercials somehow, yes?

Here's the point. If you price anything - home, scooters, boats, autos, trucks - specify the exact level of coverage you're currently paying for, compare the dectibles, and see how that adds up on a new quote. Simply, I didn't change to GEICO because their premiums would have been substantially higher.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top