JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm prepping to load my first shouldered rifle rounds. Soon after I got to loading handgun only, back in 2011, I bought a small cylinder for my RCBS Uniflow. Made it much better for small charges such as in 9mm than the standard cylinder. I need to change back to the standard cylinder now for the larger charges. Damned if I couldn't figure out how get that little plunger into that large cylinder, without looking on line to see you drop it through the top of the hopper! :oops: So far so good? NO! In the process of putting the bushing that holds the measuring stem into the body of the cylinder it won't tighten down. It tightens, almost, then slips the threads in the cylinder body. THAT hole/threads are bigger, by about .018", than in the small measuring cylinder. WTH? Those threads, in that large cylinder, should be pristine seeing as it was only used for a short time, and only switched once. I would have known if I'd stripped the threads TAKING IT OUT? And the paint on the threads of the bushing aren't damaged.

I've come to the conclusion that my standard cylinder is TU. Any body close that has an extra standard cylinder that's in good shape?

Just for the heck of it. The parts diagram...

Hi Mike,
I don't have an extra, but did switch from the Large to the small cylinder to load my pistol rounds. I also bought the large and small micrometers for both cylinders. I was just wondering if you had considered maybe picking one up one of the micrometers for your large cylinder to make your adjustments easier and repeatable? Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Ron

Hi Mike,
I don't have an extra, but did switch from the Large to the small cylinder to load my pistol rounds. I also bought the large and small micrometers for both cylinders. I was just wondering if you had considered maybe picking one up one of the micrometers for your large cylinder to make your adjustments easier and repeatable? Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Ron

I'm not in need of a micrometer adjustment. I'm in need of the large drum itself because the threads are compromised! That's the dilemma! All I can figure is that the threads came out with the bushing when I switched over to the small drum all those years ago!

Not sure if I understand your dilemma. The large and small cylinders have different measure screws.
Call RCBS they have great service

The threads the bushing, that the metering (spindle?) screws into. Those threads in the drum itself are toast.

Call RCBS. There's a good chance they'll take care of you tomorrow.
RCBS will prob have one ready to be mailed to you before the end of the phone call

No doubt. I was stumped at how those threads could be so messed up. Only thing I can think is that it was so tight from the factory I just forgot how hard it was to take off when I switched drums, and the threads came out with it. :s0092:

Always heard how good RCBS is. I look forward to the service!

No doubt. I was stumped at how those threads could be so messed up. Only thing I can think is that it was so tight from the factory I just forgot how hard it was to take off when I switched drums, and the threads came out with it. :s0092:

Always heard how good RCBS is. I look forward to the service!
i have a hand primer of theirs. i lost one of the priming rods when i moved. i emailed them asking them how much and where to buy. they replied "we need your address so we can get these new, updated ones out to you ASAP" i was literally like this ":eek:"

Are you using the spindle that comes with the larger rotor and not the small spindle. They have separate part #'s and most likely different threads.

I think that the bushing is common for both the large and small cylinders. I haven't removed the small cylinder from my Uniflow, because that would throw my recorded micrometer numbers out of wack. The threaded shafts are the same thread, just the size of the disks on the end are different, and the round threaded lock is also interchangeable. I would also try ebay to find your parts. That is where I bought my Uniflow, the small cylinder, and two micrometers for less than it would have cost just for the Uniflow new. I lucked out and everything but the uniflow looked like it had never been used. I took a picture of the large cylinder, shafts, bushing and nut, in case it is useful to anyone.

Ron

20200405_161646.jpg

Are you using the spindle that comes with the larger rotor and not the small spindle. They have separate part #'s and most likely different threads.

I think that the bushing is common for both the large and small cylinders.

Yes and Yes.

I called RCBS this morning. Wow! I had to wait because they are on limited hours and limited personnel! I must have sat here for a whole 7 minutes! HAAAA! Turns out you can't buy the large drum from RCBS. They'll only send it to me, free. You can buy the small drum on line though. The gal is going to send me another bushing, tension washer and locking disc too. It almost makes me feel guilty I don't have any RCBS dies. :oops: Great service in these times.

Yes and Yes.

I called RCBS this morning. Wow! I had to wait because they are on limited hours and limited personnel! I must have sat here for a whole 7 minutes! HAAAA! Turns out you can't buy the large drum from RCBS. They'll only send it to me, free. You can buy the small drum on line though. The gal is going to send me another bushing, tension washer and locking disc too. It almost makes me feel guilty I don't have any RCBS dies. :oops: Great service in these times.
nice!!

Yes and Yes.

Told you. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads