JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if a .50 BMG APIT would glow long enough to see the downward arc and if it'd still pierce armor or ignite at terminal velocity.....

I read a study of indirect fire with the 45-70, made during the Civil War, (405 GR. bullet) it was found that the bullets when fired into the air, would pierce up to 8" of oak timber at a distance of 1 mile.
Velocity would be down to around 450 - 460 feet per second at one mile. That's only 200 foot-pounds of energy, so I doubt you'd get through an 8" plank. It would still hurt like the dickens though ... and probably penetrate a skull or soft tissue to the point of messing you up in a significant way.

Last Edited:
You know, I recall a myth-busters episode on this very thing. If I remember correctly... What they found was firing perfectly straight up there would be little chance of the projectile being lethal.
BUT.... most times guns are fired into the air are not perfectly perpendicular as we have seen so many videos of fools firing at about a 45 to 60 or 70 degree angle. Which keeps the projectile in a steady trajectory that is still quite lethal. This is also what they concluded on said Myth-Busters episode.
Funny side note, Not too long ago Edwin Sarkissian did a video on his yu tube channel and tried to shoot straight up and try to "hear" where the bullets fell. Nothing came down close enough to detect.

Velocity would be down to around 450 - 460 feet per second at one mile. That's only 200 foot-pounds of energy, do I doubt you'd get through an 8" plank. It would still hurt like the dickens though ... and probably penetrate a skull or soft tissue to the point of messing you up in a signifacant way.
Been a while, but as I remember the study was done to ascertain the effectiveness of massed indirect rifle fire. I'm trying to find the article.

From Another article:

A bullet fired straight up, with no wind, might reach a height of 10,000 feet (about three kilometers), but will come back down at only around 150 miles per hour: just 10% of the speed and with only 1% of the energy as the originally fired bullet.

But this part from the posted article makes no sense:

"If he was not looking at the sky he could die, because it could have gone through his head," Lopez said. "So he almost died from that."
Sounds like because he was looking up the bullet went through his mouth into his neck without hitting anything major. If it would have hit the top of his head it could have been much worse.

Mike J.,

I was just going to mention BIDEN and his dumb @@@ ideas when it comes to using a shotgun in more ways than one!

And HE is on record and film doing this on many occasions too.

Crikey!

Take care.

Happy New Year to you and your wife too.

Cate

Mike J.,

I was just going to mention BIDEN and his dumb @@@ ideas when it comes to using a shotgun in more ways than one!

And HE is on record and film doing this on many occasions too.

Crikey!

Take care.

Happy New Year to you and your wife too.

Cate
Indeed! And the "TDS" is so strong on the left that none of them relate or remember moronic comments from this man.

I tilt my head slightly when I look at them. A puzzled look on my face. How does a creature like that survive daily life?

I read a study of indirect fire with the 45-70, made during the Civil War, (405 GR. bullet) it was found that the bullets when fired into the air, would pierce up to 8" of oak timber at a distance of 1 mile.
That is because the bullet was still on its ballistic trajectory, and still had a measure of it initial muzzle velocity, whereas a bullet shot vertically upwards eventually stops, having run out of velocity, and is thereafter subjected only to gravity.

The belief by some experts that the .45-70 Govt cartridge ran out of puff at around 300-400 yards, and fell out of the air around that point was the subject of a series of ballistic trials. Called the Sandy Hook trials, and held in 1879, they were used to trial the .45-70 Govt cartridge against the British Martini-Henry .577-450 service cartridge of the day - please read and be amazed - thanks to Mr David Minshall of the British MLAGB -

In days gone by and I lived in a more rural setting I have been known to touch one off at midnight on NYE - into the ground that was heavy clay and rock free. I can't imagine the stupidity of firing blindly into the air.

My first compound bow was set at 70#. I shot an arrow (I was really young and stupid) as straight up as I could. It went way up there....and landed over 900 feet away. Next to a horse.
I'm not sure if it's luckier or not, but apparently my dad shot one straight up and had to move due to the return path.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top