JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody here actually know these people?
I straight up just want to buy 2 or 3 of those pelican squad size rifle cases.
If they actually bought 100 of them surplus, I reckon it was a great price.
Said they sell them on Ebay. See if there are some there. Makes me wonder how much the Gov (as in us who pay taxes) pay for those damn things vs how much we sell them to people to get rid of after we use them? I sadly suspect this is one of those things that would shock at how much money is lost on then. 🤬

Said they sell them on Ebay. See if there are some there. Makes me wonder how much the Gov (as in us who pay taxes) pay for those damn things vs how much we sell them to people to get rid of after we use them? I sadly suspect this is one of those things that would shock at how much money is lost on then. 🤬
They used to be between $600/$800 new from pelican, depending on innards and exterior color.
I have 1 plain black one with nothing inside, 2 latches that won't hold %100 , and a full complement of cheap master locks all around.
I paid $35 for it used.

They used to be between $600/$800 new from pelican, depending on innards and exterior color.
I have 1 plain black one with nothing inside, 2 latches that won't hold %100 , and a full complement of cheap master locks all around.
I paid $35 for it used.
Thing that I almost really don't want to know is how much we pay for them from the contractor vs do we all but give the damn things way later as surplus. :eek:

As I read this and the comments all I could think too was how the hell did someone, somewhere along the line not notice one was a hell of a lot heavier? Sure sounds like somewhere along the line someone was stealing these things and somehow "lost track" of the one. Should keep some paper pushers busy for a LONG time tracking the #'s and figuring out how the hell those went "missing" for all that time. Also first thing comes to my mind is was this the first time? Doubt it. How many crates like this slipped out of some Gov warehouse and into some cartel's hands? The crate would be worth a lot of cash to someone who "diverted" those guns for money.
Two words… "Air America".

I saw pallet after pallet coming off of those planes down south of the border back in the 80's….

This sort of find sorely tempts otherwise "law abiding" people. When something like that drops in your lap, you get tempted. But to keep them and get found out, big trouble. Not about how you got them, but mere possession as automatic weapons off the books.

Speaking of the books. These were on government rolls somewhere. Makes you wonder how they got accounted for. A2's are kinda old now, these could've been lost for some time. I'd like to see the stickers on the case up close, that might provide some clue.

I imagine that inventories of such things are kept on computers now. Maybe if the warehouse is doing a count, they come up 12 short, maybe they can just change digits on the screen? In my time in the army, we had to do a report of survey on a single missing weapon. Not to mention the CID angle.

It's anybody's guess as to why handlers somewhere along the line might not have noticed the difference in weights between cases. The cases weren't always on pallets, they had to be stacked manually at some point, maybe several times.

Or here's another theory that nobody here has put forward. The rifles in the case in question were left in there intentionally, an inside job. To be retrieved later. Then once stacked, the would-be thief lost track of the single case out of maybe hundreds. Or couldn't get back to it. Something like that.

I have probably told this story before.

During the Viet Nam War, an Oregon National Guard group was sent to Fort Lewis (now Joint Base Lewis-McCord) for training. The base was overflowing with troops, and there were no barracks available to house them. They were told to go to an empty warehouse and set up a camp.

The warehouse wasn't quite empty. In one corner were a number of wooden crates. The Guardsmen gave in to their curiosity, and one night opened one of the crates. It contained Trapdoor Springfield rifles, preserved in cosmoline, and in excellent condition.

The crates were empty when they went home.

Edit to Add: I have seen one of these rifles.

I imagine that inventories of such things are kept on computers now. Maybe if the warehouse is doing a count, they come up 12 short, maybe they can just change digits on the screen?

Any system these days keeps track of who entered numbers and so forth. I doubt you could subtract 12 rifles from inventory without also entering in where they are going. You'd have to know the system really well to obfuscate at the level required to keep fingers from pointing straight back to you.

Just pointing out that the assumption there was only one case in the 100 that had M16s in it seems flawed. Near the end of the article they say the ATF won't disclose how many rifles have been found. The weight difference could be negligible if they were all full.

Just pointing out that the assumption there was only one case in the 100 that had M16s in it seems flawed. Near the end of the article they say the ATF won't disclose how many rifles have been found. The weight difference could be negligible if they were all full.
That makes it easier to understand how this came about.

If someone at the warehouse took a pallet from the wrong bay (area of storage), where full containers were stored, instead of where the empty ones were stored, a full pallet of containers would be forklifted and shipped without noticing the weight difference if no one was weighing the loaded pallets. If shipped by surface transport (trucks, most likely), it is unlikely that anyone would take the time to check the weights. If sent by air, each pallet would be weighed in order to keep the total weight within the capacity of the airplane, and also to distribute the load to keep the balance within the aerodynamic limits of the airplane.

1664342403006.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads