JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it would be fun to 'spice up' a bowling pin shoot with a little money. Maybe set up 20 pins and everyone buy in at a buck a pin and everyone takes 20 shots.

High score wins all and ties split the pot.

If they are like the previous matches, it'll be a double elimination

2 shooters at a time. The first shooter to knock down all the white pins wins the round, but there are penalties for shooting the hostage pins. Everyone gets to shoot at least twice

I had fun but did poorly with the Glock so in the true American Way, I'm going to throw money at my Rock Island GI 45 acp 1911 and see if I can make a pin gun out of it. Look out world, here I come!

Wolverton Mt GC hasn't had pin shoots for over a year. They shoot Steel Challenge or ICORE now. I think Lone Oak GC still does.
I shot pins back in the Midwest. Revolver or auto class. Five pins, 12" from the back edge, timed, pins had to hit the floor.
The rimfire class used 2"x2"x4" blocks. Now that was a kick and kept the expense down.

So THAT was FUN!

Rules: head-to-head, from low-ready at the beep, knock down the white pins as fast as you can in 30s. A downed solid hostage pin counts as a penalty against a white pin. First to shoot clean or highest score wins. Downed pins count, no need to clear the shelf -- No ammunition limits and unlimited reloads. One all encompassing division for all firearms.

Safefire Pin.jpeg

I counted 22 shooters tonight, no revolvers, maybe a third or more with micro red dot optics and from the brass on the floor, shooters were 9mm, .40SW, .45ACP, and .22lr. I didn't see any tricked-out race guns, but I did get to meet Mr. & Mrs. @GWS and watch his first round with a .45ACP Hi-Point. The rounds were double elimination and I saw some great shooting.

I shot my carry G43x/Romeo0 and finished middle of the pack (tie-breaker win,win,loss,win,win,loss). Shot 58 rounds of 9mm NATO (courtesy of @Hueco) at 39 white pins. 1.5 rounds fired per pin -- need to work on my accuracy under stress, but I can live with that for now. My elimination loss was to a gentlemen with a target .22 & optic who finished runner up.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I had fun and got to meet some great NWFA members in person.

LOOL
That HiPoint took a dump on me right at the starting gate when it went into a sort of type 3 malfunction without a round in the chamber.
I'm guessing I stuck 1 too many rounds in the mag and that 1st round jammed up against the feed ramp, locking the gun up and wedging the magazine in place. With a bit of effort we got the magazine yanked out, took the top 2 rounds out of the magazine and I got it to feed and the race started but now I have only 7 rounds. To my surprise I got the top 4 pins with those 7 and dropped the mag for a reload where the slide wouldn't close fully
Wasted a second figuring out that issue slammed my heel on the slide and back in business except for the part where my opponent had already finished.
Switched to a G-41 and took my second round and then lost out to a fellow older than myself and a whole hell of a lot faster.
Ah well-We got to watch @when_DM_smiles do some fine shooting before dear wife and I made our early departure

Big thanks to Lee and the whole SafeFire crew for a fun, safe and well-run match:s0155:
Now I'm out 1 pizza and have to listen to my pal rag on me and my HiPoint...:s0054:

Here is one persons thoughts on Bowling Pin Power Factors.
That article is a good read!
When I was shooting, 9s just couldn't cut it. Neither could 357s. High shot count was the only way 9s could clear the table. That put too much time on the clock. 40s didn't exist yet. One 45 shooter customized his HP bullets to flair out like a crown to grab the pins on a glancing shot. He said getting them to feed was his biggest problem. These matches had closer targets too. Set-up was more for speed then accuracy. I used a 44 Redhawk with a 2x scope and a down loaded 240 gr. SWC....... Back when I was young and quick.

I liked it as well, probably because it confirmed what I already intuitivly felt or knew. I strayed a bit going with the Glock 40 cal this last time but now I'm back firmly in the 1911/45acp camp. Now if I stray I'll stick to calibers that use large pistol primers like 10mm, 41 & 44 Mag, or 44-40 and 45 Colt for that old school cool.

An update for me, I was going to throw cubic dollars at my plain jain Rock Island GI model 45 but started looking at guns that were what I wanted or at least close. I was looking at 40 S&W's but after contemplating the above article decided to look at 45's. Long story short, My new Rock Island Ultra Full size 45 will be here early next week.

Edited to add that I'll see what I'm offered for a trade in on my GI model and if it's not reasonable that will be for sale or trade here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top