JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I'm participating in a friendly shooting competition at a local range later this week. However, this will be my first experience shooting bowling pins. The goal is knock down the most pins, the quickest, with some "hostage" pins for an additional accuracy challenge.

I plan on shooting 9mm. Do you think standard pressure 115gr will work? I don't know how competitive my shooting will be but want to at least show up prepared.

Any advice or experience? (besides "hit the target" ;))

Any caliber will work. When I shot pins, I used my Delta Gold Cup 10mm. They would explode off the table, rather than tip over from the 9's. Made it so much more fun!

I brought the 500 S&W once, but they wouldn't let me use it.

I just did some YouTube watching and reread the competition rules. Fortunately, a knock down counts and an off-the-table hit is not required (though I would love to see a pin shot by a .44 or 500 S&W).

Since I can't change the laws of physics, I'll see if I have heavier grain ammo in the box and aim higher on the pin.

Thanks!

I recall from my carnival game days that a baseball knocks em over just fine. Use those and make pew pew noises

Where I shoot them knocking them over but not off the table counts for one point and off the table counts for 2 points. 1911's in 45acp are most popular. Tomorrow I'll be using my Glock 22 in 40 S&W with a 180gr TC bullet just to be different. 9mm just doesn't have the beans to reliably knock a pin off the table with one hit.

Heck
I'm running my 45 acp HiPoint at the next pin match at SafeFire
Remember to keep one foot in the circle when shooting You can get a better angle on that pin behind the hostage by stepping almost out of the circle.

My range rules require not just knocking them over, but clear off the 4x8 sheet of plywood. To make it more demanding there is an ammo numerical load limit. IIRC for a 5 pin run you can load 6 of whatever caliber you use. You can reload 2x to total of 18. Usually by then you've lost. Good luck, 9 will knock em down.

Heck
I'm running my 45 acp HiPoint at the next pin match at SafeFire
Remember to keep one foot in the circle when shooting You can get a better angle on that pin behind the hostage by stepping almost out of the circle.
Thanks for the good info. Found some 150gr flat nose and 147gr target JHP in my ammo bin - that should help. Double elimination rounds, so at least two attempts with my sub-compact pew-pew. Looking forward to some fun. See you there.

when I shot at Wolverton gc the pins had to be knocked off of the plywood table except for 1 or 2 of the set ups. we set the pins at 3 distances from the edge, depending on caliber shot.
as u can see,different clubs do it different ways,, but a standard 9mm should suffice

Thanks for the good info. Found some 150gr flat nose and 147gr target JHP in my ammo bin - that should help. Double elimination rounds, so at least two attempts with my sub-compact pew-pew. Looking forward to some fun. See you there.
I've got some 124gr NATO rounds I'd be willing to trade you if you want FMJ's with a bit of oomph

A couple of decent books on the topic that OP might enjoy are:

boliche.jpg

Granted, both are very much dated, but still were an interesting read. Cheers. :)

My Tanfoglio Ultra .41 Action Express was designed for pin shooting (IPSC Approved). I never got into competition due to the cost of ammo. Hot .40 S&W, 45 ACP or 10mm should work well. Be sure to use wad cutters or semi wad cutters. Flat nose work if you can't find or reload wad cutters.

Last Edited:
Well I signed up thinking this was a casual competition (like shooting Christmas ornaments). You guys now have me little worried! ;)

Appreciate the comments. I didn't know pin shooting was a thing nor that's it's been around so long - learned something new today!

The match I went to today was fun. Very low key. I brought my G-22 and did middle of the pack ok. The guys with the 44 mag and 45 acp 1911's out shot me as they should, both being much more accurate than the stock Glock. One guy brought out an 8 mm Dutch revolver and let us that wanted to shoot it so that was fun. Maybe next time I'll bring my 1905 S&W Hand ejecter in 32-20. That was the last pin match for this year at Emerald Empire so I've got some time to figure out what to bring next.

Well I signed up thinking this was a casual competition (like shooting Christmas ornaments). You guys now have me little worried! ;)

Appreciate the comments. I didn't know pin shooting was a thing nor that's it's been around so long - learned something new today!
Don't worry, its supposed to be fun
Thats why I'm starting out with a HiPoint. If it craps out, I'll switch to something better. But my main purpose is finding out if the HiPoint can do the job. I have a side bet on that.

You can get real bowling pins from bowling alleys. My local alley charges $15.00 for 10 pins. Paper in fine for seeing where your gun shoots but like most anything else there is a bit of technique that can only be seen and learned from shooting real pins. I made a table from an old door an a couple of saw horses. When the table gets shot up (and it will) I just get another one from the recycle place for 5 bucks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top