JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since the law has changed you are allowed to pack your concealed firearm for protection during bow season.

The question is what should you pack to deal with black bears/cougars or two legged meanys?

I went around in circles thinking 45 acp, 40 cal or 357 mag. Chose the 357 mag with solids in the cylinder due to its superior penetration ability. I also have the Ruger 44 mag and 45 LC single action handguns but those are darn heavy to haul around all day.

My hunting party was visited by a Wildlife officer while we were having a tailgate lunch along side the road. I guess our Camo attracted his attention. He checked our licenses, tags, ran our drivers licenses and asked what we were hunting with. He was professional and did his job and went on his way. He did not ask if we were packing firearms and did not see my concealed 357, covered by a long fleece.

I don't worry about bears. I hope I see one, so I can nail him. My bow is just as accurate (if not more so) than my revolvers at bow/revolver ranges.

I'm not opposed to carrying a pistol if that is your cup of tea, but my fannypack is already kinda (and literally) a pain in the butt to carry, and a pistol on my hip would be just that much more. And consider the worst case scenario (maybe this is what you imagined): You stumble on a big black bear, startle him, and he is a "one-percenter". In other words, he's the one bear out of a hundred that will choose to attack rather than run. You need to throw your bow down, draw your pistol, and fire. The time it took to throw your bow down is the time it took for him to be on ya.

My point is this: the scenario where a pistol would save you in case of a bear is extremely remote, and your bow should not be discounted as an extremely deadly, accurate, and relatively fast weapon. Faster than getting rid of it, drawing a pistol and firing.

A close friend of mine lives in Minnesota. He is an extremely experienced outdoorsman, going frequently on canoe trips in the Boundary Waters with minimal gear, literally living off the land. He encounters Black Bears there on a routine, regularly expected basis: nearly if not more than daily. A raised pair of arms with a canoe paddle, and a shout is always all it takes to send a bear skedaddling.

He came west to bowhunt elk in Colorado. While on stand in a pile of rocks, a Cougar approached from 75 yards, then crouched and came on in a preparatory rapid crawl. Steve stood up, raised his bow over his head, shouted, and the cat came at full rush. Steve drew and nailed that cat at 15yards in the forehead. Lots of explaining to the Game Warden, but when the scene was examined, they knew this was no B.S.

So, go ahead and carry. If that is what you choose, I'd go with the lightest
.357 I could find, and cram it with full-house 158g hardcast. Me? I'll leave the pistol at camp and carry more water, and maybe another sandwich so I can stay out longer. And I hope, I hope, I hope I see a bear.

It's not the bears that'll get you, it's the cats! I've been farly well armed and dangerous for at least the last decade.
When you cover your self in camo and hang or spray elk urine on your body you just might get more action than you expect.
I've had cougars come in twice in the last 4 years. A bow is a lousy self defence weapon.

Just my $0.02

Cats in eastern Oregon are a problem. I have had one come In once. I always on the evening hunts carry colt .45 acp condition 1 in a thigh holster below my pack. You can access very fast if needed. Just makes me feel better. I get a wiered feeling on evening hunts. I feel like I'm being watched.

Cats in eastern Oregon are a problem. I have had one come In once. I always on the evening hunts carry colt .45 acp condition 1 in a thigh holster below my pack. You can access very fast if needed. Just makes me feel better. I get a wiered feeling on evening hunts. I feel like I'm being watched.

I agree. Had a cat come up on my pointer a few years ago during chukar season. Not a good feeling to be stalked. Fortunately, the cat headed out quickly and we didn't have to deal with it. But a 28ga shotgun isn't a good choice in this situation. Glad to hear the law changed.

I'm a born to be 100% gun hunter, I own a bow, I'm good with a bow on targets,Just can't seem to make the transition... I'm successful with rifle so why change...?...Still on the fence...

I have been on many bow hunts with buddies, They call on me because of my Elk calling skills, I bring them in... All my years of hunting in Oregon never once has a black bear been a threat, this don't mean they can't be a threat... cougar are threats, Serious threats...

Gun versus Bow for a FTF encounter IMO... The fastest weapon will do the trick... arrows leave a large wound channel and the animal bleeds out quick, A gun has felt energy and a hydraulic inertia affect on impact... By the time you spot a cougar the weapon in hand would be the weapon to use... If a Cougar is attacking he has watched, assessed and planned and in it's mind you are the meal... A black bear 99% of the times runs, What you don't know is if cubs are around or maybe it's only rout out is through you...
This is for Oregon ... Brown Bear/Griz country is completely different...
A gun shot can be thought of as a dinner bell and blood in the air is that fresh hot apple pie in Grandma's window... LOL...:s0155:

Be alert, Be aware, Stay on top of the food chain...

OH,
By the way, Cougar is Xlnt eating meat...:s0155:

I don't bow hunt, but I usually carry a 1911 loaded with 230gr jhp's. I am not too worried about animals in the woods. I had a black bear with in 30yds of me and it just kept right on putzing along and didn't even care about me. I am more worried about the other people out in the woods. With some of the crap I have seen in the few years I have hunted I never venture out there with out some sort of firearm if not 2.:D

man you guys with your 45's and 10mm's are way stronger than me I am such a wuss when it comes to needing to carry more weight.

i believe in the ounces=pounds and pounds=pain

i carry a 12oz (empty) 357 mag revolver

When I bow hunt I carry tags for bear and cougar and am actively looking for them while I am bow also hunting elk/deer. I could be surprised though. I always carry my .40 M&P.
Not a massive caliber/gun but i like to travel light and am confident it can get the job done in a pinch. BUt if you really are taken by surprise a really good blade could be handy as well.

P22, GP 100 or 44 mag! I have only shot at 1 cat with my GP cause i did not have a clear shot with the bow. I wish i could have made it with the bow, cause it would be dead! Pistol is a last resort for me but a must to have in the woods!

MY .02

Aside from protecting yourself against predators I believe packing a sidearm in the woods is always a prudent idea in case of getting lost. Even when I go hiking I bring some sort of boomstick... you never know when you might need to make a little noise. Besides, whistles are for sissies (and bears might laugh at you blowing a whistle).

Washington State allows you to carry a pistol now as well while archery hunting(noticing that the OP was in Oregon) However..... ONLY if you have a conceal carry permit..... NO PERMIT = NO CARRY WHILE HUNTING...... :s0155:

Personally I'd be less worried about bears than other humans. Oregon has some illegal pot farms out in the wilderness areas, and the growers are usually armed. Washington has the Russian smugglers in the North. If anything goes down out there you are on your own.

OH,
By the way, Cougar is Xlnt eating meat...:s0155:
Huh, really? I would have thought it would be very gamey and taste like... well, like cat. I guess I'll have to try it if I ever get the chance.

I have a bow in my hands bears and cougars don't worry me as much as getting to my spot safely on the highway. I have said this before I am willing to bet I can out shoot most people with a bow from 30 yards and in vs your pistol? Maybe not as many shots I will grant you that but I have yet to hear of a Cougar or bear attack in Oregon. 2 legged kind worry me and before you think I am anti gun I have a concealed permit. I carry alot just not during bow season.:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top