JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys!

I've been rifle hunting for the past couple of years and I truly love it and really appreciate the outdoors! I've never much given bow hunting much thought until I played with my buddies Matthews bow! I was impressed with how it handled and how accurate it could be in the right hands. ( not me ;-) anyway, I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts about the benefits of bow hunting. Longer season, more challenging, etc.. Also, if anyone can recommend a good place to look at bows around Washington county. Thanks for info in advance gents!

Love archery, I converted 5 years ago and won't look back unless I draw a tag. The elk are in rut it's exhilarating and sometimes heartbreaking but those great moments just make you dig in and keep coming back for more. One down fall is the weather, it can be challenging to hunt in the heat and care for an animal if successful.

I recommend seeing Kenny and Ruth at kutch archery outside of yamhill. Great people, beyond top notch service and an awesome 3d range. They deal in bowtech bows. Worth atleast going and talking to them there hours sometimes vary by the season so call them first to make sure you don't waste a trip.

Yes, Kutch archery! In addition to the satisfaction of harvesting an Elk or Deer with a bow, the month long season without most of the knuckle heads storming the woods on a "wild eyed got to kill one mission" is very enjoyable. If I had to define the perfect archery season, it would be to harvest a nice juicy tender spike bull in the last half hour of the last day of a month long season. I've taken more Elk in my old age than I can remember and have taken more than a handful of nice bulls, but a fat young spike is very hard to beat on the table.

once you go bow you never go back.i have never had so much fun or learned as much as i have when bow hunting.plus you can relax, take your time, and truly work on your field craft.it is more challenging and so rewarding. when you are standing over that beautiful elk you just harvested, when all the training and preparation are culminated to a single point in time , you look back at all the mistakes, should of, could of, would of's and realize you did it. you bend down and thank God for the gift and just sit for a minute.for me nothing is as surreal as seeing the results of hard work, determination and intestinal fortitude.

My only problem with bow hunting, is land closures. There is timber company lands all around where I live. You just never know if the woods will be shut down for fire danger, usually always happens right before or during bow season. If I knew I could hunt without having to travel to find state ground to hunt, I would definitely bow hunt,,,

Yes, the closures are a definite pain in the arse. You pray for rain and spin the wheel. Most property owners close their land during high fire danger season but I can't say that I blame them much, we've all seen the result of what can happen when slobs hit the woods, be it at places to shoot, the rivers or back camping places, and it only takes one idiot to start a monster fire. This year was the first year that Hancock timber closed at the 1st sign of a dry spell. I spoke with them and was told their new policy is as soon as there's a level two anywhere in the state, they close all properties statewide. I actually do a lot of hunting in state/federal timber land. There's not the numbers of animals there, but there's also (usually) not the amount of pressure on them, although this last seasons closures changed that quite a bit. This is where it really pays to know where and when the Elk go when pressured.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top