Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bow Hunter Stares Down Bull Elk at 4yds (Not in Washington)

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by 2A2Dend, May 17, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

Obviously this was not filmed in Washington. Where to put it?

When I watched the video, my adrenaline purged.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well, someday I'll be close enough to an elk to take one home - until then I'll continue to be envious and butt sore watching people make it look easy:p.

Slobray and clearconscience like this.
  3. 2A2Dend

While not Bow Hunting, I found a few other videos very appealing to my needs. I need to get out more.

This kid, not an iota of excitement. His dad wets himself.

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah watched that years ago

And watched it again. That is awesome. I may have watered myself with a bull that close

Joe13 and clearconscience like this.
  5. mjbskwim

Sorry but the second vid makes me mad. And you can read my comment that tells dad to teach the kid to hunt now.
    A friend knew a guy who filmed those type hunts. Said they didn't find half of the animals those type guys shot.

Joe13 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I was sitting on the bank of a coastal lake, just after dawn, trout fishing. A BIG bull and three cows ghosted out of the woods behind me and had a drink within a couple of feet of me!
    A. When you're sitting, virtually, under a bull elk they are real big!
    B. Those things are quiet!
    C. I didn't spoil me rompers!:D

Slobray, coyotecaller, Joe13 and 3 others like this.
  7. scrandall01215

scrandall01215 Washougal,WA Well-Known Member

Post # 3 vids. Those guys are a bunch of dumb f*cks and don't deserve the privilege to hunt! That kid wasn't excited because, the stock is what builds the adrenalin, the first vid. Is a prime example!!

Stacy

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    Joe13 and mjbskwim like this.
  8. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

i agree. why would you take a 1000+ yard shot at an elk and risk losing it. learn how to hunt!! will bring much more satisfaction.

Joe13 likes this.
  9. 2A2Dend

Sorry? They are hunting. They are using the same tools an everyday hunter is. Only better.

I still get a rush, stalking my prey. Most times I went hunting four leggers, adrenaline dump.
    I get a rush watching videos. Guided hunts, that's not hunting. Open land, that's not hunting.

Joe13 likes this.
  10. mjbskwim

One of the locals,some guy named Elmer Kieth?:rolleyes:, I dunno, used to say if you can get closer,get closer

11. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I can see the value in marksmenship to hit an animal at that distance, but to me I fear wounding an animal more than anything so if I'm not confident I'm going to make it a quick kill I won't take that shot. At 1000+ there's too much that can change your round or impact your placement.

But that first video. Dang! My heart would have been beating so hard it would have scared the elk away.

I'm not sure I could make that shot after almost hugging that bull.

mjbskwim and Joe13 like this.
  12. 2A2Dend

IMO people rifle hunters that hunt in this manner, they are not true sportsmen to the reason for being there. When the animal has no chance out of instinct, what's the point.

mjbskwim, 308 and Joe13 like this.
  13. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Meat would be my only reason

14. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

There is a ranch back behind my dads place in Idaho near Yellowstone where they raise elk specifically to be trucked in to private ranches for the pay2hunt crowd. I have some great pics of these enormous bulls who didn't seem too concerned about my very close proximity. I've seen big cattle haulers coming out of that place full of these desensitized elk, so it seems reasonable one could be quite close and not spook them.

15. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

The bull in the first video, the bow hunter, was big but it certianly did no appear to be a planted bull. Not near that big.