JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I accidentally bought some 300 savage Bullets for my 3006. I am in a pinch for a planned range visit tomorrow with my 30-30 (I don't have any round nose left). Would these Bullets only be safe as single shot or would the plastic tip be safe against a primer? I have a feeling these would be single shots but I'd figured I'd ask

image.jpg

I chickened out! I went to Bimart and bought some round nose Bullets. I'm gonna save the pointed ones for ny 30-06. The plastic tip seems like they could punch a primer pretty easy. Thanks again guys.

A few years back, I asked my wife while she was at Walmart to pick a couple boxes of .22 cal ammo as only 2 boxes daily per customer - they were scare then and rationed by Wally W. and usually were sold out, but worth a try.

She came home with 2 boxes of 22-250. Sigh...

I gave them to a neighbor who has 22-250 rifle, I don't and you can't return ammo.

He was glad as they were a premium Federal brand.

P.S. He's done nice things for me too.

I chickened out! I went to Bimart and bought some round nose Bullets. I'm gonna save the pointed ones for ny 30-06. The plastic tip seems like they could punch a primer pretty easy. Thanks again guys.

Good choice. I remember reading somewhere a while back where someone did some experimenting as to what it would actually take to set a primer off in a tubular magazine with pointed bullets, and he wasn't able to do it, but I wouldn't want to take that chance, myself. The thought of a round going off in the tube doesn't appeal to me.

The Sierra 125gr FPHP are really nice in a 30-30 light enough to be FAST and at the same time the HP makes them plenty hard hitting on Deer sized game. I also use them in my M1 carbine and Rugar Blackhawk in 30 carbine.

That's my problem!! I have lots of 110 grain round noses but I can't spare them because I shoot my m1 carbine at least twice a month.
It would be nice to load a light recoiling 30-30 though. The 150 grain factory loads that I shoot are pretty stout. That's a reason the old 30-30 sits in the safe!

Plus I refinished the beat up stock and I didn't do the best job. Haha!!

image.jpg

The Hornady #30303 for .300 Savage bullet is designed to be compatible with the shorter overall finished length of that cartridge. As compared to the other .30's that would use the #30302 bullet which is a taste longer, cannelure placement different. You could use these with .30-06, you'd have to think whether you want to seat them without regard to cannelure. Or not.

The ballistic tip on these is kinda hard, I wouldn't use them in a tube mag. The Hornady FTX bullets designed for use in tube magazines are significantly softer material then the polymer ballistic tips.

Every once in a while Midway offers cosmetic factory seconds bullets, lots of Hornady product. A few years ago they had the #30303 on sale at a good price. I bought 100 just because and I don't have a .300 Savage. If I ever get down to them in my supplies, they will be used in a .308 or .30-06.

It would be nice to load a light recoiling 30-30 though.
I shoot lots of 30-30 loaded with 12 grains of Unique and the 100 grain Speer 'plinkers' but recently had to try some of the 110 grain RN as my LGS was out of the plinkers - and I am going to stick with the 110s
This is s very nice load, chronos at about 1700 FPS at the muzzle.
Very accurate and low recoil.
IMG_1297.JPG

Last Edited:
You should be able to load one in the chamber and one in the magazine no problem.
Unfortunately not entirely true. SOME SP bullets have such a long ogive that when correctly seated will exceed typical OAL for a 30-30 round.
While this is no problem when loaded singly in the chamber if one is loaded in the mag tube it will be too long and not clear the tube when cycled and will be 'stuck' - don't ask how I know this!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads