JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Several weeks ago, I was in Portland for the Swap Meet and stopped by the Dick's Sporting Goods at Portland Meadows. I usually stop in to Dick's or watch for the ammo sales and this time they had some Winchester 9mm at 25% off. So I bought a couple of the 100 round value packs for about $24 each; which was cheaper than what it would have been in Washington, especially without any tax. So today I was going to the range and forgot that I hadn't reloaded my ammo cases from the last time I shot, so I grabbed the two boxes behind the seat. Then I reloaded my 100 round case, there was an empty hole when I put all of the rounds into the case. Interesting, so I emptied that case and filled it again with the other box and ended up with one short in that box too.

Anyone else experienced this before? Or was it my lucky day?

Probably filled by weight and dialed it down just a shade under what it should be. I can't see them dialing it up to make sure you get 101, as that would hurt the bottom line but 99 is close and who counts them anyway?!? :confused:

I bought a couple cases of lowcost 12 ga from Midway (Beg your pardon I cant remember flavor now) and three boxes came up one round short. They stack like a pack of cigarettes so you notice when they are one round short. I E mailed them mainly cause they may have a warehouse pocketer and may want to look into it. Their retort was sometimes boxes pop open on the conveyer and ammo may roll under somewhere and not be seen when picking them up and refilling the box in haste.
Picturing all the stuff that has fallen and rolled under my work bench it made perfect sense to me.
They gave me a five dollar credit I never asked for but did not turn down. That was nearly the cost of a box of 12 ga's used for clays thank you kindly.

These are once fired brass from Winchester white box. The ammo was purchased about 5-8 years prior. These are what the flash holes looked like after tumbeling.

Winchester quality right their.

image.jpeg

LOL ^^^

Couple of years ago a guy at the range was showing me some rounds from a win white box that the bullets were pushed in the cases about halfway to the bullet nose. :eek: Ever since THEN I kind of look sideways when I see win white box on someones table at the range.

LOL ^^^

Couple of years ago a guy at the range was showing me some rounds from a win white box that the bullets were pushed in the cases about halfway to the bullet nose. :eek: Ever since THEN I kind of look sideways when I see win white box on someones table at the range.

Yea, all my current WWB are crimped. Adds an Extra step for reloaders.

I've got 4 boxes of Winchester White Box 9mm. (Bought at Big 5) that has been sitting in the bottom of one of my ammo cans for several years. I'll have to drag them out and take a look.:eek:

They were $10.00 ea. so you know how long ago that was.:rolleyes:

I had a gift card so I ourchased a Serpa holster for my G17.. Half the little parts were missing. Dicks is pure crap now. Not to mention their ammo mark ups are ridiculous. I only went there for DRT and 7.62x39 brass zombie max ammo when it was hard to find elsewhere.

I've got a case of 9mm in the white box. About a third used and no problems so far! Even burns fairly clean! This is the first time I've heard of so many bad rounds or short count! Going to ramp up due diligence when buying ammo!

I bought several of the white box "range packs" when they went on sale at Bimart before Christmas and have been using them at USPSA competitions. I haven't had occasion to count to see if I'm getting the full 200 rounds but I did notice on the last one that there was an empty shell casing in there. Not a huge deal, but has me going "hmm."

Frankly, and not advocating for any company, unless you spend the bucks for Norma Brass and or in some cases match grade finished products no other company can afford the individual scrutiny when processing in the tens of millions of units.
Pass / fail inspections by the manufacture are done on sample lots not individual units, with acceptance and rejection rates for finished products usually also specified by the purchasing entity.
To be less than understanding of failure rates and at the same wanting manufactures to increase output and lower cost seems a little insensitive.
All in all, I personally think a miraculous job is being done considering (in aggregate) the billions of rounds produced each year. When I shoot skeet or trap for fun I buy five / six dollar ammo and expect less form it but when I hunt I pay way more and expect way more.

I had a gift card so I ourchased a Serpa holster for my G17.. Half the little parts were missing. Dicks is pure crap now. Not to mention their ammo mark ups are ridiculous. I only went there for DRT and 7.62x39 brass zombie max ammo when it was hard to find elsewhere.

I don't even go into their stores anymore after how they pulled all AR15s from their shelves and screwed over Bushmaster on their contract after Sandy Hook.

I don't forget anybody who is supposed to be on my side who betrays me.:mad:

Probably filled by weight and dialed it down just a shade under what it should be. I can't see them dialing it up to make sure you get 101, as that would hurt the bottom line but 99 is close and who counts them anyway?!? :confused:

I do. My Thompson drum won't work unless you have exactly 100 rds loaded.

tumblr_ndm44xNYXE1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads