JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was his 16th birthday present in September. Anyway, do you guys have issues with screw in chokes unscrewing through use? At the trap range this week, I made sure it was tight and after just 25 rounds, it had unscrewed about 1/10 of a revolution.

And now it's having a failure to extract issue. Thi happened four times over 50 rounds. The action gets stuck shut after the shot and I need to gently hit the butt on the ground while holding the pump to force an extraction.

Luckily I bought it through Davidson's so replacement should be easy.

Cheap steel or aluminum base shotshells cause the sticky extraction also on new guns with rougher chambers. Not usually a problem with brass base shells. Never heard of a choke tube unscrewing though....

What Greenbug said about the ammo.

Choke tubes backing out are not unheard of. Using a choke tube grease/never seize vice plain gun oil may help as its thicker. Know of some people that have gone to teflon tape on the threads. Then there are those that just let them dirty up and rust in place. ;)

The 870 is notorious for having shells stick, I believe it will occur on all 870s. I experienced it with two different Magnum models. The problem is lazy machining. The good news is that it should only occur with certain ammo, if I recall it was Winchester X shells for me.

1/10 isn't much, how tight was the choke? I'm a fan of the old Wingmaster or model 12, no new pumps for me for this very reason.

Well I've got, hmmmm.... five 870s I guess, from 1954 on to the police models and "current"(bought used) Express and they all work great. Never had a problem with extraction and believe me, if a gun will screw up I will get it. No screw in chokes though, so no idea what happened there. I'd say try it a bit more and see if the tubes expand into the threads for a tighter fit or try different makes of tubes. A light polish of the chamber or change of ammo might be all that is needed for that problem. Some makes/brands of shotshells do seem to be sticky in several of my guns, but nothing to get worked up over.

Last Edited:
Post 2007 remingtons are basically remington in name only. They were purchased by freedom group and QC was decimated. Return it and buy a used one, or better yet a police trade in. Throw a new magpul stock on it and it will be way better than anything new. I just found my friend a deal on here for less than $200.

What type of ammo? As posted above, Winchester can be very problematic. I shoot an 870 trap gun (newer) and the only (regular) issue I have is with grey Winchester hulls. Some powder is dirtier that others and cause some residue which after a few rounds (of 25) can make extraction a little sticky, especially, I have found in more moist weather. My 870 Trap runs on 80% reloads for practice and 20% factory Remy STS for matches. Try a good cleaning with a true chamber brush (not just the brass bore brush).

As for the choke tubes, not that uncommon. As above, try grease if you haven't already. I use Briley chokes and I check them after each station (5 rounds). Only once in a while will they be loose but happened to me this week. Headed out now with my 1978 870 for some sporting clays. This had been my field gun since high school. Fixed choke so no worries.

I have had to gently polish a couple of chambers on 12 guages, i use a short cleaning rod and metal polish on a bore mop in my cordless drill.
Very successful no more banging on the ground with the butt of a nice setup.

I always use antisieze, but i totally understand the let it rust in place method too!!

Matt

The 870 is notorious for having shells stick, I believe it will occur on all 870s. I experienced it with two different Magnum models. The problem is lazy machining. The good news is that it should only occur with certain ammo, if I recall it was Winchester X shells for me.

1/10 isn't much, how tight was the choke? I'm a fan of the old Wingmaster or model 12, no new pumps for me for this very reason.

Interesting. I have never heard that. I have had an 870 Super Mag that has never had a hiccup in 20 years. But I have always used premium ammunition as it's solely a hunting gun.

The ammunition that resuted in the jams in my son's gun was indeed Winchester trap loads with a steel head (base).

Interesting. I have never heard that. I have had an 870 Super Mag that has never had a hiccup in 20 years. But I have always used premium ammunition as it's solely a hunting gun.

The ammunition that resuted in the jams in my son's gun was indeed Winchester trap loads with a steel head (base).
It's not all shells, specific ones. I believe it has to do with their lack of finish machining. If your gun is 20 years old, it likely has better machining than their new stuff.

I have a few buddies who have issues with their 870s extracting. Steel based shells were one of the problems and a slight polishing of the chamber solved that. However, both of them got new machined extractors that also helped eliminate the extraction issues. Call Remington and see if they will send you a new extractor. Choke tubs on most of my guns will work out a little while shooting. Grease instead of oil helps prevent them from spinning too much.

If it sticks, smooth it out.

If it moves and it shouldn't a drop of blue loctite goes a long way.

Love my 870's.

Granted my 1981 model has seen way more use then the newer model with removable chokes so I honestly can't speak to the newer ones reliability as it's a part time bird gun and I don't hunt birds often.

I agree about buying an older wingmaster, especially if you are using it for trap. BTDT. However, ive never had extraction issues with any of mine. I do, however, polish out the chamber and forcing cone.

I have a few buddies who have issues with their 870s extracting. Steel based shells were one of the problems and a slight polishing of the chamber solved that. However, both of them got new machined extractors that also helped eliminate the extraction issues. Call Remington and see if they will send you a new extractor. Choke tubs on most of my guns will work out a little while shooting. Grease instead of oil helps prevent them from spinning too much.

I bought if through Davidson's so they will just ship out a new gun, no cost to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top