JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_2127.JPG His first car @17 is way different from my first car @17.....

Here's my first car that I bought myself in 1970.
A 1966 Fiat 600D with a rip roaring 32hp 3 cylinder engine.
Speeding tickets were not a problem.

FIAT-600-D-2341_6.jpg

My first car was a 69 Camaro. Got it when I was 14 when I got my drivers license ( They couldnt count at the DMV ) and built a 350/TH400/12 bolt posi for it . Traded it in I was 18 for a 70 SS El Camino because I thought the bed might come in handy. It did :). In any case I was looking at some Camaro forum a few days ago and actually tracked down the car. Its in Granbury TX where I left it 32 years ago .

My dad leased a car for me, a Pontiac Sunbird, which I drove until I got the money together to buy my own. It was a '79 Plymouth Fury with a souped up engine. The Fury was an older car than the new Pontiac, but I loved it more because it was MINE...and fast!

My first: 1963 MGB. Stole this picture off the 'net. Mine was not nearly as nice. Discovered how remarkably easy it was to convert the unit from LH drive to RH drive. Only part change you needed was the dash.
DSCF2452-2-1-940x636.jpg

He'll be 18 in a few months. The insurance costs for full coverage are really driven by value. A $40K truck vs a $14K car. Its just the color that makes it look evil.
What makes it look evil is the young man in the picture. This is a gun board, we all remember our salad days: lead feet, marginal judgement, hormones, and the proverbial "young, dumb and full of c__".

I traded a $80 shotgun for mine, a Rambler. o yea
Oh yea is right. Those seats folded down and made a full sized bed.

I hope he's paying for it with hard labor...
Gotta teach kids discipline or they end up with 3 DUI's, a pile of totaled cars and teen pregnancies... fortunately I was taught discipline.
I had no discipline or moral compass. Sure came quickly, sitting in a chair at the station.

O

Luckily its only a 6 cylinder but its amazing what they can do with a 6 cylinder these days.

I had a 6 cylinder Eco Boost in my rental Mustang in Vegas back the first of the month. Same car we rented back in March and put 1,600 miles on. I checked for an OBD reader on it before I drove out of a normal profile. These new 6 cylinders will smoke the tires, and it will easily spin 115 and get in front of a Vette pretty easy.

I bought my kids used Ford Ranger 4X4 pickups. Never spent more than $ 3,000 for one of them. I made them make payments to me on them, and they had to pay their insurance as well. I gave them the opportunity to work in our construction business and nursery to make those payments. They all did and did it well.

I also had a 71 Ford F 100 with a 351 that a couple of them drove for a while before the Rangers. The gas consumption and speeding and tire roasting tickets cured them of that rig after a while.

If they wanted to get another rig, it was all on them. I ended up with 2 of the Rangers back after they bought different rigs. I drove those Rangers into the ground and then sold them.

I lectured them about what a screw job new vehicles are, and to this date not one of them has bought brand new.

My dad bought me a 10 year old '69 Camaro when I was old enough to drive. It was a piece of bubblegum. Anyone who gets nostalgic for those Early Camaro's never drove one back when they had 2 barrel 307's , 2.73 gears and slipping automatics and those God Awful suspensions.. I made my son call my dad on the way home from the dealer to thank him for buying me that car. Paying it forward.
The youngest is getting the '70 I'm building now and painting in March....when he turns 25 that is. Without the 540 ! He'll get an LT-1 spec 350.

lXySnJ.jpg

3W5pS4.jpg

He did have a little mishap about 6 months ago. I looked out one day and noticed the back tire on the drivers side was sitting at an angle.

"Oh son, why is your tire at an angle? " "Oh um, I uh was driving down the road and hit a pothole".
He Couldnt just say " I was doing donuts and hit a curb" like actually happened. I could respect that. I might even say "Right on Right on."

He wants me to think he''s an idiot. Had to replace a rear control arm and get it aligned. Made him replace the strangely bald rear tires.

I had a 6 cylinder Eco Boost in my rental Mustang in Vegas back the first of the month. Same car we rented back in March and put 1,600 miles on. I checked for an OBD reader on it before I drove out of a normal profile. These new 6 cylinders will smoke the tires, and it will easily spin 115 and get in front of a Vette pretty easy.

No such thing as a 6 cylinder ecoboost in the Mustangs. It was a 4 cylinder, which is even more impressive

40C16F5D-1B5A-49BE-B5E7-FD04C1A279FA.png My friends bought their kid his first car too! Looks like he treated it just like he had to buy it, LOL. I had to buy my first car, I mean truck. A 1966 Chevrolet pickup that my Dad and I souped up the factory 327!

My dad bought me my first car. I learned to build engines, electrical work , transmission, and rearends with that car. Learned bodywork and paint too. I rode it hard and put it away wet. Beat the living crap out of it. Drove it 150 MPH, drag raced it on the street, got my license suspended no less than three times before I turned 18. Got laid in the back seat for the first time. Try that in a'69 Camaro. Should have died a few times in it but never hit a thing. I could get those back tires rolling smoke and slide that thing sideways into a parking spot. Made me the man I am today :) and that is a guy who very closely resembles my dad. Got me interested in mechanics and engineering . 90% of what I know how to do today I know how to do because of that car. If I had to respect it because I paid for it I might not have done half the crap I did at the time. I learned self respect and self reliance which is probably one of the reason my old man bought it for me.

Last Edited:
My first car was a 69 Camaro. Got it when I was 14 when I got my drivers license ( They couldnt count at the DMV ) and built a 350/TH400/12 bolt posi for it . Traded it in I was 18 for a 70 SS El Camino because I thought the bed might come in handy. It did :). In any case I was looking at some Camaro forum a few days ago and actually tracked down the car. Its in Granbury TX where I left it 32 years ago .
Tell me how you tracked it down?

Tell me how you tracked it down?

Got one one of the first gen camaro forums and entered in the name of the town I last saw it . There were a couple of forum members there . One guy had a few pics up. I recognize the rear end. It was a '69 Chevelle rear that I stuffed in the Camaro. Still had the Chevelle control arm mounts on top but the side brackets had been cut off right where I cut them off. I'm one of those people who doesnt forget things about stuff I build even 35 years ago.

No such thing as a 6 cylinder ecoboost in the Mustangs. It was a 4 cylinder, which is even more impressive

Not as fast and torquey as the V 8's but still pretty impressive. I tried to keep up with a 17 Shelby off a stop sign in rural Nevada but the Shelby was having none of that. I did cut off a Vette that was coming up in the left lane on me, I was kind of stuck behind a semi, but had enough room to stick it and shoot the slot, had to hit about 115 or so but completely denied the Vette the lead. I pulled back in the right land as I was coming up to any area I has seen an Arizona state trooper in the day before, and the Vette blew past me probably 120 or so but then checked up real hard when he saw a trooper. It was his lucky day, the stater must have been napping.

Got laid in the back seat for the first time. Try that in a'69 Camaro.

Done. In a 68 Camaro but no difference in the size of the back seat. Probably 100 times. Seats all the way forward, some gymnastics required, but it could be done. That was over 40 years ago, thanks for the memories. Chicks dug the fast cars, and the guys who drove them. The kids now days will never have that chance at that kind of fun. Muscle cars, racing, drinking beer, smoking weed and the young ladies all in one night. Those were the days.

Pretty sure that my boys worked out the front seat in the same 71 Ford pickup that I did...good for them. Know I found beer cans in the bed more than a couple times, and condom wrappers in the cab. Hell yeah.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top