JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lee works.

1: save the money on a press and make more rounds for experience.

2: always somebody out there that will buy seasoned equipment, somebody like you looking to start this journey

3: buy what you can afford, not what you feel pressured into doing.

All of my presses combined cost less than one expensive Blue, Red or Green system and I make the same quality of munitions. The idiot behind the lever makes the ammo, not the press.

I've also driven a WRX, cush Yukon, nice Civics, a Geo Metro and now a Prius. They all work and got me from A to B. I don't play the name game for hanging sacks between my legs, I use what works.

There's just no reason to bring @Stomper into this. :rolleyes:

:s0140:

I agree with the majority on starting with a Single stage press. its the best tool to learn on regardless of brand. stay current on the reloading manuals. learn each step of the process and pay attention to what each stage is. nothing like detonating primers when seating them.
you wont save much money, but shooting more should make you a more proficient shooter and reloader unless you just spray and pray.
I still use a Rock chucker I got back in the late 80s for precision work with precision dies. that being said I run two XL650s along with the chucker. progressive presses fit the bill for some of the shooting I do and they produce some accurate ammo with the dedicated toolheads.
you will find your equipment will evolve with your skill and shooting styles.
just my 2 cents.

Remington 700 in 30-06

In case no one else mentioned it, if your gun isn't a new one, check to see if it's one on the Remington recall.

Remington Arms Company, LLC ("Remington") is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® ("XMP®") trigger. Rifles manufactured after April 9, 2014 are not subject to recall.

In case no one else mentioned it, if your gun isn't a new one, check to see if it's one on the Remington recall.

Remington Arms Company, LLC ("Remington") is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles which were manufactured from May 1, 2006 through April 9, 2014 and which have an X-Mark Pro® ("XMP®") trigger. Rifles manufactured after April 9, 2014 are not subject to recall.
How would I go about checking that? I bought the rifle off someone else.

I know i'm going to stick with reloading. Unfortunately a turret press is a bit out of my budget. I dont have high requirements for production as im only going out shooting about once a month and its mostly by myself.

Im just curious about the differences between a Hornady Lock-N-Load kit and the Lee Breech Lock Challenger when it comes to quality. Has anyone had experience with both?

Is the price premium for the Hornady worth the money?

I'm near 217 and Denney, or would be if I wasn't on vacation. When I get back you're welcome to drop by and look over my gear and see what the differences are. I'll even toss in a box of 20 once fired Winchester 30-06 brass that I finished off this morning and don't plan to reload.

I have the Hornady LNL kit plus I've added their case tumbler and mechanical scale. I've also got the Redding mechanical scale to compare it to. You can see Lee, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, and Forster dies. You can see the cheap and effective way I trim brass with a Lee tool and the $30 Lee press that I use for universal depriming. I've also got a press mount by Inline Fabrication (out of Eugene) that you might find interesting. We can also look at my various load manuals to get an idea which one(s) you'll be wanting to buy.

I'm near 217 and Denney, or would be if I wasn't on vacation. When I get back you're welcome to drop by and look over my gear and see what the differences are. I'll even toss in a box of 20 once fired Winchester 30-06 brass that I finished off this morning and don't plan to reload.

I have the Hornady LNL kit plus I've added their case tumbler and mechanical scale. I've also got the Redding mechanical scale to compare it to. You can see Lee, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, Lyman, and Forster dies. You can see the cheap and effective way I trim brass with a Lee tool and the $30 Lee press that I use for universal depriming. I've also got a press mount by Inline Fabrication (out of Eugene) that you might find interesting. We can also look at my various load manuals to get an idea which one(s) you'll be wanting to buy.
Sounds like a plan! Enjoy your vacation!

I have a Lee challenger press. I was working within a budget and the price was right for me. I also have the Lee hand press which I use quite a bit. I use it to neck size while I'm kicking back on the couch. The quick change system works well for me since I have 7 different rifle calibers that I reload

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads