JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only reason I struggle to justify this one is for $100 more I can get a Hornady kit that comes with a tumbler and case trimmer.

And thank you to those that have been giving me input. Really is helpful!
Hornady makes some good stuff. I think you would be happy going that route. However, Ive been with RCBS since i started reloading over 20 years ago. You cant beat their customer service . Another suggestion I have is try a Frankfort arsenal prep center. They are a time saver and are on sale at Amazon for $150.00 right now. I wish I would have bought mine sooner.

Hornady makes some good stuff. I think you would be happy going that route. However, Ive been with RCBS since i started reloading over 20 years ago. You cant beat their customer service . Another suggestion I have is try a Frankfort arsenal prep center. They are a time saver and are on sale at Amazon for $150.00 right now. I wish I would have bought mine sooner.

I refuse to support amazon. Ever since I found out the owner gives away millions of dollars in grants to illegal immigrants, I stopped using any service and buying anything from amazon.

A lot of guys suggesting buying a single stage and then "upgrading" to a progressive press later. Chances are, you will never need a progressive. I shoot more than anyone i know and still load all my ammo on a single stage rock chucker. I load 300 rounds/hr of pistol ammo, .223 rem and 308 win. A single stage is more than sufficient, if you know how to run it..

If you want to view more kits, try Midsouth. They had the best prices when I was purchasing and have several kits.
Reloading Presses for Sale | Midsouth Shooters

Also trimmers. I started with the lyman ezeetrim. It was okay but long sessions of 223 sucked. 30-06 would be okay. I upgraded to the frankfort arsenal but havent tried it. just setting up my reloading den after a year being boxed up. moving and remodels suck.

One more time:
I have said it many times (and variations thereof) but still the same - DON'T get into reloading thinking you will save money - get into reloading as an extension of your interest in firearms and the desire to get the best performance out of them or variations of performance and specialized loadings you can NOT get unless by reloading. An example of this would be reduced velocity loads that are simply not available for some calibers. Eventually as you build up supplies by finding deals or components you know you will use you will always be ready to 'knock out' however many rounds you think you will need instead of driving around looking for what you want and unsure of the prices. With reloading you will always know what your per round cost is and depending on the caliber can be a significant savings over store bought. And while I never thought it would happen the shortages of certain calibers during the 'panic' phases kept some people I know from shooting while I was able to supply myself.

SaltySocks, some where in my reloading room i have this
RCBS Trim Mate Case Prep Center 110 Volt - MPN: 90375
there are no tools on it and the last time i used it must have been at least 5 years ago it was still working. let see if i can find it and that it works. if i find it i will post some photos of it tomorrow hopefully i can find the box it came in. you can have it for what ever the shipping cost will be. it's just sitting around collecting dust and i think i have a cover for it too. i'd look for it now but it's late and i am tired. will get the photo's posted the second thing in the mourning, first thing is coffee.
Rick

Lee Precision Reloading Supplies | Lee Reloading Kits | Titan Reloading

Last Edited:
there are no tools on it and the last time i used it must have been at least 5 years ago it was still working. let see if i can find it and that it works. if i find it i will post some photos of it tomorrow hopefully i can find the box it came in. you can have it for what ever the shipping cost will be. it's just sitting around collecting dust and i think i have a cover for it too. i'd look for it now but it's late and i am tired. will get the photo's posted the second thing in the mourning, first thing is coffee.
Rick

I also like Titan Reloading for tooling and accessory. Very good company and nice folks to deal with.

Rick

Unreal! You're awesome! Thank you so much!

I refuse to support amazon. Ever since I found out the owner gives away millions of dollars in grants to illegal immigrants, I stopped using any service and buying anything from amazon.
We love amazon. What bezoar does doesn't worry me. Amazon keep us from having to deal with people in PDX for a lot of stuff. We do a lot of ship to store out this way and pick it up at the local store.

Salty_Socks, before i went to bed i remembered that that i have some extra 30/06 reloading dies that i do not use any more they are lee reloading dies. the lee 30/06 collet dies are hardly used i also found a lee 30/06 FL sizing that you can have also. it's used but not abused. i will clean everything up as they have collected quit a bit of dust on them. the lee collet dies just size the necks that's why i threw in the FL sizer die. i just woke up so give me about a hour or so to clean everything up and post some photos. first things first coffee.
Rick

I have had good luck with the Lee Classic Turret Press. Its within your price range. https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B008M5TSCG

71moljxejcL._SL1500_.jpg

Not suggesting brands just a generic (non competition) getting started Checklist:

Sturdy bench (especially for rifle work)
Loading manual (read the tutorial)
Press that suits your needs
Set of dies
Calipers
Scale
Powder measure
Brass trimmer (mostly for bottleneck rifle)
Wet or dry tumbler (nice to have but not a necessity)
Brass lube
Loading blocks

Components: primer, powder, brass, projectiles.

If you decide to stick with it a chronograph is a good idea down the road.

If you dig reloading you won't really save much money because once you get hooked you may as well just light your wallet on fire. Always something new to try.

But it's a constructive and worthy pursuit and greatly enhances the enjoyment of firearms if you like a deeper knowledge of how they work. It gives you almost limitless choices. It's great to keep the curious mind engaged, especially if you have a boring worklife. Shoot a lot more and spend less per round. Nothing wrong with that;).

We here demand that you post pictures of your first targets:D.

A lot of guys suggesting buying a single stage and then "upgrading" to a progressive press later. Chances are, you will never need a progressive. I shoot more than anyone i know and still load all my ammo on a single stage rock chucker.
Very true - I am definitely in the 'long term' reloader group and completely agree. It really bums me out when I read about someone diving into a progressive because they were told this was 'what they needed to do' then spending way more than they needed, having problem, getting discouraged and selling it off. If they had started out with a basic setup (such as a single stage) and moved slowly they would have decided what they needed (or didn't need) little by little and their own, personal reloading setup will have 'evolved' naturally.
I WILL admit however the addition of a second SS press has really improved my own loading processes. I fell into a Bonanza Co-Ax press and I have to say it is literally the fastest SS press I have ever used. It's quick change die system and universal shell holder are really great features. Is not perfect however and a lot of it's advantages are because of one minor detail that had to be left off - it's priming function is nearly useless HOWEVER most SS reloaders have long since gone to a separate priming system away from the press so this is not a big loss.
I use the Co-Ax for about 90% of my reloading now and only the Rock Chucker for rifle brass resizing, pulling bullets etc. but in conclusion I can easily load for all my shooting needs and have never felt the need for a progressive.

Last Edited:
here are the die sets that i can give you plus a RCBs lube pad. i found both instructions for the dies also. there is nothing wrong with dies other than being used. you will be able to load accurate ammunition with these dies don't want you thinking i am giving you junk dies. the dead length seater die in the collect does not crimp but you can use the crimper in the full length die set to crimp. found the RCBS case prep center and it still does work. if i remember correctly i bought this unit around 1999 and i belive there is still some kind of lifetime warranty on it from RCBS. soon as get that cleaned up i will post a photo. there is a large primer pocket cleaner tool on it and i probably can find you a couple brushes for it and i am still searching for the two de-burring tools that go on it. i can probably get all this into a medium or large flat rate box to save you on the shipping. any ways i shall return. i also polished up the expander plug on the full length sizer die for you. this is one of the older Lee die sets that used a long expander plug so make sure that you lube inside the case neck before sizing for smoother operation.
Rick
20180721_113159_001.jpg

ok here is the case prep center. also i found the the de-burring tools but still searching for the brushes. you might to purchase those. i still need to clean it up a little more and find the box. so Salty if you would like these items PM me or call me and let me know where to ship them.
Rick
20180721_122853.jpg

Very true - I am definitely in the 'long term' reloader group and completely agree. It really bums me out when I read about someone diving into a progressive because they were told this was 'what they needed to do' then spending way more than they needed, having problem, getting discouraged and selling it off. If they had started out with a basic setup (such as a single stage) and moved slowly they would have decided what they needed (or didn't need) little by little and their own, personal reloading setup will have 'evolved' naturally.
I WILL admit however the addition of a second SS press has really improved my own loading processes. I fell into a Bonanza Co-Ax press and I have to say it is literally the fastest SS press I have ever used. It's quick change die system and universal shell holder are really great features. Is not perfect however and a lot of it's advantages are because of one minor detail that had to be left off - it's priming function is nearly useless HOWEVER most SS reloaders have long since gone to a separate priming system away from the press so this is not a big loss.
I use the Co-Ax for about 90% of my reloading now and only the Rock Chucker for rifle brass resizing, pulling bullets etc. but in conclusion I can easily load for all my shooting needs and have never felt the need for a progressive.
I don't feel the 'need' for a progressive, but I decided I wanted one. To be honest it's kind of a fascinating challenge getting it set up right and watching it operate. I have three presses (one of each type) and use them all depending on how I feel on any particular day. Certainly not a necessity, but nice to have the options since I enjoy the hobby so much. I'd be just as happy with my turret or ss press though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top