JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know i'm going to stick with reloading. Unfortunately a turret press is a bit out of my budget. I dont have high requirements for production as im only going out shooting about once a month and its mostly by myself.

Im just curious about the differences between a Hornady Lock-N-Load kit and the Lee Breech Lock Challenger when it comes to quality. Has anyone had experience with both?

Is the price premium for the Hornady worth the money?

Don't forget to look through the reloading classified here on NWFA: Reloading Classifieds

Pretty much any of the basic presses will get the job done, same with dies unless you are doing competitive shooting. No experience with the ones you mentioned. Good luck and have fun!

I've loaded hundreds if not thousands of rounds on my cheap Lee press. The handle knob broke off once but two part epoxy has held it in place for a long time.

Lee is cheap, but it works.

I've loaded hundreds if not thousands of rounds on my cheap Lee press. The handle knob broke off once but two part epoxy has held it in place for a long time.

Lee is cheap, but it works.

Thanks! Thats what I was leaning towards since it would leave me a bigger budget for the other things I need.

My other option would be the hornady lock n load kit at a sportsman warehouse. They have a bundle that comes with a tumbler.

Seems similar to the Lee Breech lock challenger.

Main differenc I can see is that the Lee has the breech lock system for dies. Wouldnt be too much of an issue due to the fact that Id only be reloading two different rounds to start.

Anything major im missing

I prefer fewer parts so things don't work loose. Its no biggie to set up your dies. Starting out, you'll likely decap and resize with the same die. Run all your brass through. Then swap out for the bullet seater so you can seat your bullets after you finish prepping your brass.

If you have the money, build your own setup a la carte.

Press, electric case prep station, electric powder measure, case trimmer, hand priming tool, bullet puller, case lube with pad, digital calipers, OAL gauge.

One thing I know I wont need would be the caliper. I have a analog set that I got for work. Real nice set too.

Unfortunately, If I had the money, I would definitely build my own set up. The only reason Im going this route is because its relatively inexpensive.

One thing I know I wont need would be the caliper. I have a analog set that I got for work. Real nice set too.

If you don't plan to make a big production out of it, you can get by with the kit. It saves me a lot of time using electric stuff. The trick is to keep all of your recipies consistent. And when I say consistent, I mean no changes in anything. ANYTHING. A change = new workup.

That's the one I'd buy . It doesn't quite have everything you need, but it will help to get you started.
The only reason I struggle to justify this one is for $100 more I can get a Hornady kit that comes with a tumbler and case trimmer.

And thank you to those that have been giving me input. Really is helpful!

i have the hornady progressive and single stage. love em. i started out with the single stage and quickly upgraded.

no experience with lee. but if i had to do it over i probably would have got the lee classic turret starting out. and it can handle 30.06. and the heads are inexpensive and easy to change out if you dont want to mess with dies each time.

Buy a single stage now, either of the two you listed would work great, I myself would lean toward the lee, then when you get more into it get a progressive like a dillon 550 and skip the turret, a 550 will do anything a turret will do but much faster, you can even use it like a single stage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top