JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A-Zoom makes nice .45 snap caps that last practically forever.

Once I got it broken in, my G21sf has run 100% and shoots better than I do. Excellent value-for-buck and reliability. Goes bang every time. Surprisingly not all pistols share this trait. :cool:

I got my first firearm about 1.5 years ago. Now I have 10, lol! Congrats on your Glock. I'm personally not a big fan of Glock, but that's just because they just don't fit my hand well, I don't feel comfortable holding them. If they felt better in my hand, I would have no problem getting one. And I'm buying an IWB holster very soon myself, planning on getting a Stealthgear ONYX. Breathable and comfortable, prints a little less due to the softer mesh stuff sinking in, haven't really ready anything bad about them besides the price. But for a good holster, I'll pay the money!

http://www.stealthgearusa.com/pages/frontpage

I'll make sure to look into all those brands. Only reason I want the snap caps/ dummy rounds is for practicing drawing with the weapon at loaded weight. I'm not sure if 13 rounds of .45 would make my draw feel much different. I think it would...

I'll make sure to look into all those brands. Only reason I want the snap caps/ dummy rounds is for practicing drawing with the weapon at loaded weight. I'm not sure if 13 rounds of .45 would make my draw feel much different. I think it would...

Definitely get snap caps, don't dry fire. I don't care what people say, dry-firing just isn't good for the gun. For a few bucks, it's totally worth it, don't want to break your new pride and joy without even firing a shot! I've got them for my 9mm and my .357 magnum, and some dummy rounds for my .22LR. DEFINITELY don't EVER dry fire a rimfire gun!

Definitely get snap caps, don't dry fire. I don't care what people say, dry-firing just isn't good for the gun. For a few bucks, it's totally worth it, don't want to break your new pride and joy without even firing a shot! I've got them for my 9mm and my .357 magnum, and some dummy rounds for my .22LR. DEFINITELY don't EVER dry fire a rimfire gun!

If that were true I would have nothing but broken firearms.

All of the pros I know, without exception, dry fire for 1-4 hours a day and between 10-100 times for every live round. Their guns wear fine as well.

Modern .22's are all made with a shoulder on the firing pin that prevents the firing pin from contacting the chamber wall. Old guns are a problem.

The snap caps are an important part of your training toolkit but for reasons other than those you anticipated.

Practicing combat reloads from a locked-open slide when dry firing is almost impossible without them. Is impossible.

In live fire practice, using snap caps that have been randomly loaded into a magazine of mostly live rounds will give you close-to-real-world stoppage clearing skills which everyone who carries should have.
The same random load can also show if you are "palming" or pushing the muzzle down when the pistol (normally) fires.

I just wish I'd bought ten instead of five .45's when I was ordering mine.

The snap caps are an important part of your training toolkit but for reasons other than those you anticipated.

Practicing combat reloads from a locked-open slide when dry firing is almost impossible without them. Is impossible.

In live fire practice, using snap caps that have been randomly loaded into a magazine of mostly live rounds will give you close-to-real-world stoppage clearing skills which everyone who carries should have.
The same random load can also show if you are "palming" or pushing the muzzle down when the pistol (normally) fires.

I just wish I'd bought ten instead of five .45's when I was ordering mine.

Wow thanks for the advice! I've never thought about that kind of training. I'll definitely keep those practices in mind. Really appreciate it :)

All of the pros I know, without exception, dry fire for 1-4 hours a day and between 10-100 times for every live round. Their guns wear fine as well.

Modern .22's are all made with a shoulder on the firing pin that prevents the firing pin from contacting the chamber wall. Old guns are a problem.

If you want to risk your expensive firearm instead of insure it's safety, by all means, go ahead and dry fire. And you're right, some people do it hundreds of times with no issues. But why even risk it when it can be easily prevented by a few bucks worth of snap caps? You could dry fire it hundreds of times, but not have the problem show up until you pull the trigger and find out something isn't right in a defensive situation. I talked to a shop owner who has a 1911 he got cheap from a customer after the guy dry fired it hundreds of times, and now it's broken and won't fire at all because of the damage dry firing caused over time.

If you want to risk your expensive firearm instead of insure it's safety, by all means, go ahead and dry fire. And you're right, some people do it hundreds of times with no issues. But why even risk it when it can be easily prevented by a few bucks worth of snap caps? You could dry fire it hundreds of times, but not have the problem show up until you pull the trigger and find out something isn't right in a defensive situation. I talked to a shop owner who has a 1911 he got cheap from a customer after the guy dry fired it hundreds of times, and now it's broken and won't fire at all because of the damage dry firing caused over time.

Everyone I shoot with dry fires their pistols and rifles thousands and tens of thousands of times a year. Go to a major match and watch for gun failures and you will not see any that could not be prevented through normal maintenance.

Replace springs as they wear and move on, just like normal maintenance. Using snap caps ion a dry fire session with a couple of hundred cycles creates an unnecessary drag on time not to mention the possibility of mixing in a live round. I never want to see brass in the chamber no matter what when dry firing.

If a shop owner has a 1911 that "broke" from dry firing that can't fix it for $50 in parts they really don't have any idea what they are doing. Look at the design of a modern pistol or rifle and let me know what difference a snap cap will make in terms of wear.

Spot on with everything but the last point. Many .22 caliber firearms still in production will not take being dry-fired. Others can be dry-fired all day long with no ill effects. Check your owner's manual or ask the manufacturer.

So far I'm leaning towards Alien Gear for a holster. Thanks everyone for the input when it comes to dry firing and the holsters. I can see both points when it comes to dry firing. I'll have to look into it more to decided more. Hope everyone has a good rest of the week!

Hey Football, If you're looking for a custom made leather holster, you could try Leatherworkers.net . I'm on that forum and can say there are A LOT of fascinating leather crafters on that forum from all over the world. You'll find plenty who are willing to accommodate you. Many will do trades. Some will have a Blue Gun to make a mold of your exact gun and they will custom make it and ship it to you. Try the 'Wanted' section and you'll get some responses.

Membership to the forum is free, however you don't have to be a member to read and I don't think you have to sign up just to post in the Wanted section.

Wish I could help you out but I'm not able to do much leatherwork in the near future, as well as, I don't have a Blue Gun for your model. (I would need to use the actual gun to do the mold).

Good luck,

Bill

I like the Silverdale store, too. I am sorry to see that "she" has left. That lady knew more about guns than most of her colleagues (it helps that her family has been in the gun business for 40+ years). And, finally, they are starting to consistently have ammo on the shelves. Life is good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top