JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny but no one mentioned a Diamondback. Aka: DB9

I have one and have found it to be ideal for me. Light weight and flawless functioning. Only problem is that it came with only one magazine and even Diamondback hasn't been able to get me another.

**Today (10-26-2015) I took delivery on 2 magazines straight from DB. Check their web site if you've been looking for some.

I also have a Taurus 709 slim. It too has flawless functioning, though it's a little bigger in size. And, getting extra magazines aren't a problem.

As for the Kel Tech....well I have one in .32 auto. It's fine, though I'd like a bigger caliber. Actually, that was the reason for the DB9 purchase.

No .380 APC for me. OK, Ok, ok....I do own a Walther PPK/s. But, it's heavy and I don't carry it.

Then, for the record...I haven't tried the Ruger LC9 or any of the KAHRs.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Taurus
RealWeights009.jpg

DB9
RealWeights008.jpg

The Taurus has a nice trigger pull and is slightly larger (fills my hand better). Not to mention that it carries one more round. As a shooter, I like it better. But, for concealment, I go with the DB9.

Aloha, Mark

I have a PF9 and its been reliable. It has a very snappy recoil and its uncomfortable to shoot more than a few magazines worth of ammo. On the plus side, its very easy to carry.

I have a Ruger LC9, the old hammer version, bought when they first came out. Long smooth trigger pull, okay real long smooth trigger pull. Once you are over that it seems pretty accurate and reliable. I would like a LC9s Pro mainly as the Pro has a much shorter trigger pull and drops the external safety, a feature the wife can get used to better.
I find that I am always surprised that the LC9 is as small as it is, Seems like a bigger gun with the pinkie extension, yet it will fit my front pocket well. Ruger is very serious about their loaded chamber indicator too.

Personally, I'd recommend a P11 over a PF9, personal pref. Regardless, the key to Kel-Tecs is to do a full fluf-n-buff when you first get it. I have a P11 and P3AT and both got f-n-b's prior to shooting. My P11 made it ~3500 rnds before its first malfunction, an FTE because the extractor broke. It has since been replaced. The P3AT made it to ~2500rnds then it stove-piped during the first mag after I made an aftermarket trigger mod. It has handled 500rnds since I fixed the problem.

That said, Kel-Tecs are very light weight so they have significant recoil and are not the most comfortable to shoot. Also, I personally don't limpwrist, but they are susceptible to malfunction s for those shooters that do.:confused:

The two PF-9's we have are very reliable. Definitely a problem for limpwrist syndrome. My wife shoots hers very well. 3 bullseyes at 20 feet with one mag. Had a freind shoot it, and limpwrist caused failure to eject properly. They take a bit to break in, but like I said, they are very reliable. Plus a pleasure to carry. We are both rather small framed.

Edit. the mag extensions are a must.

Many in my family got all hot and bothered over the PF9 for a carry gun when they had a chance to buy them cheap. All but one has been sent back to Keltec for repairs or Keltec has sent improved parts for us to install, The one that hasn't needed fixing is my dad's carry gun and he doesn't shoot it much. I think between 5-7 are floating around the family. Pretty poor odds I think. I think Keltec makes some innovative firearms but reliability hasn't been great from what I've seen. My wife got a Ruger LC9S and it seems to be a good pistol although she don't fire it enough either.

I bought a PF9 and right out of the box, it was a finger pincher and cratered primers. I e-mailed KelTec and they said send it in to them. In the mean time I bought a .22lr adapter from Twisted Industries. When the PF9 came back all was well with it and my wife loves the way it shoots with the .22lr adapter. She says it's like shooting our C02 Pellet pistol. I can't load the magazines fast enough for her.

I owned and carried a Kel-Tec P32 for quite some time. I wasn't earning very good money at the time, wanted something easy to carry, and was happy that the option existed. It worked well out of the box and never really gave me any trouble but was underwhelming in terms of build quality. The longer the time one spends as a "gun person" the better one is able to discern quality and identify what is built to last and what is not. I recall thinking after each range trip with it, "Oh good, it didn't break this time" After a while that gets tiresome.

I owned and carried a Kel-Tec P32 for quite some time. I wasn't earning very good money at the time, wanted something easy to carry, and was happy that the option existed. It worked well out of the box and never really gave me any trouble but was underwhelming in terms of build quality. The longer the time one spends as a "gun person" the better one is able to discern quality and identify what is built to last and what is not. I recall thinking after each range trip with it, "Oh good, it didn't break this time" After a while that gets tiresome.
I too had a KelTec P32 for a few years. It was super easy to carry in a pocket holster and always 100% reliable, but what finally motivated me to upgrade was the summer in which I had to use it twice to euthanize deer that were still alive in the road after being hit by cars. It took multiple headshots at point-blank range to finally put them down, and this was with Winchester Silvertip hollowpoints. The rounds simply weren't penetrating the skull. That was the point at which I made the decision to go with a bigger gun and to finally invest some real money into quality holsters instead of relying on pocket carry.

As a new shooter, a PF-9 was one of my first pistols. It fit my smaller hand well and all the controls were easy to reach. I wanted to like it, but it never grouped for me, even with the better aftermarket trigger. (Must be the pistol's fault!) I now have a sweet spot for my S&W 3913, but will probably carry a 290RS when my paperwork comes through. It has the long trigger pull, but shoots well enough, is easier to conceal, and I won't mind as it is scuffed or knocked around.

I'll keep my P32 around until I can find something else as small to keep in my opposite pocket.

I too had a KelTec P32 for a few years. It was super easy to carry in a pocket holster and always 100% reliable, but what finally motivated me to upgrade was the summer in which I had to use it twice to euthanize deer that were still alive in the road after being hit by cars. It took multiple headshots at point-blank range to finally put them down, and this was with Winchester Silvertip hollowpoints. The rounds simply weren't penetrating the skull. That was the point at which I made the decision to go with a bigger gun and to finally invest some real money into quality holsters instead of relying on pocket carry.

Agreed on that point. When I upgraded from the Kel-Tec I pretty much had no choice but go bigger in size and weight, so figured may as well upgrade caliber, too.

Although one theory I'd heard is that for a cartridge like .32acp, it's actually preferable to rely on FMJ's because HP's simply don't have the energy to penetrate sufficiently to benefit from their expansion.

I have two PF9's and an SU-16C. The PF9's didn't tolerate 147gr bullets, and it was a constant battle with limp wristing. All three have been back to the factory, now sporting new serial numbers. When the slide broke on a visit to the range, I marched right into the store and bought a M&P9C, now having two. They eat anything, have never had any sort of failure, either structural or operational, and the Kel-Tecs all sit in the safe, waiting for me to want to trade them away. I admire Kel-Tec's designs, but not their quality.

Last Edited:
Mine the rear sight fell off the first 50 rounds. It also would move when shooting it. Got tired of it and bought a xds 4.0. They come up with some great ideas but everyone I know that has bought one of their firearms has had to send it back with in the first 1000 rounds. I personally would never trust my life on any of their firearms.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews