JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few years back I decided to purchase a small single stack semi-auto to carry in my backpack ( aka briefcase). I wanted 9mm minimum & something inexpensive that I wouldn't shed alligator tears over if it was stolen. After much research I bought a Kel-tec PF-9. That was a surprise to me since with my 18 years in law enforcement I was a Sig Sauer man all the way but Kel-tec?

The gun performed well every time I shot it at the range & I had total confidence in it as my daily protection.

My father in law also took a liking to it recently & asked me if I'd sell it. I told him it wasn't for sale but I'd give it to him which he accepted with much persuasion. Next thing I knew my PF-9 was gone. I searched through my safe & decided I'd pack my FN FiveseveN for a bit. The 57 is a great weapon & it's nice knowing you have 20 rounds at your disposal but...it's a bit large to stick it my pants pocket when I get out to take a whiz at a seedy rest area. I needed a compact.

I again researched & had decided on a XDM, Kahr, or Ruger LC9c. I had a S & W revolver that I had no use for so I decided to trade it in. They offered to take my S & W Model 64 & $250.00 to boot for a Kahr MP9. I pondered it for a bit and realized for that same $250.00 I could buy a PF-9 & keep my Model 64. So that's what I did.

So I now have my second PF-9. I'm looking forward to taking out on the range tomorrow & seeing if this one is as reliable as my last one.

Well..... I have given away a number of guns (mostly to my kids) and almost always its a way to feel better about buying other guns.... I usually dont give one away and then go out and replace it with an exact copy though :D

I have owned a few Kel-Tec's, I dont own one now and was not real fond of any of them but I'll have to give the PF-9 a look

I have owned a few Kel-Tec's, I dont own one now and was not real fond of any of them but I'll have to give the PF-9 a look

The PF9 isn't bad, but another gun to consider in the same category and price of the PF9 would be the SCCY CPX-2. Both are very similar in size - both have a 3.1" barrel, but the SCCY is a double-stack 10+1 over the 7+1 of the PF9, and it's only .12" wider than the PF9. Price is about the same, and, I think the overall quality of the SCCY beats the PF9. Great warranty too. I had one, sold it because I wasn't regularly using it, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Well, surprise, surprise as Gomer would say. The new PF-9 shot horribly. I loaded 15 7 round magazines & it only fired one complete magazine without jamming. It was failure to eject. I can't use this particular gun as my daily driver. I don't trust it.

Sometime this week I will take it back to where I purchased it a buy either a Kahr or a Ruger.

I'm really disappointed because the PF-9 I gave my father in law was flawless every time I shot it.

I even tried three different types of ammo. It seemed to like 115 gr round nose Federal the best.

Well, surprise, surprise as Gomer would say. The new PF-9 shot horribly. I loaded 15 7 round magazines & it only fired one complete magazine without jamming. It was failure to eject. I can't use this particular gun as my daily driver. I don't trust it.

Sometime this week I will take it back to where I purchased it a buy either a Kahr or a Ruger.

I'm really disappointed because the PF-9 I gave my father in law was flawless every time I shot it.

I even tried three different types of ammo. It seemed to like 115 gr round nose Federal the best.

Kel Tec has a lifetime warranty I believe? Send it back and get them to give you one that works correctly! The PF-9 I had never had a issue like your original piece.

Just opinion though.
Stacy

I solved the issue today. I took the PF-9 back to where it was purchased & traded it for a new Ruger LC9 + a little extra cash.

I'll take the LC9 out this weekend & test fire before I carry it. In the meantime, I have my old duty Sig P228 as my carry gun. When it was new it was considered a light compact. It feels like a brick now but I shot it last weekend at the range & the grouping was quite impressive.

Wow, how times have changed.

I preferred the Keltec P11 over the PF9.

two more rounds plus it just felt better. That lead me to finding the Taurus PT-111 G2 that I have now as a light weight carry unit.

I had a PF9, but found my finger was on the mag release during recoil - never good. I had better luck when using grip tape (skateboard) but as a carry gun I decided I was better with one which matched my hand better.

I think you'll find the Ruger and the PF9 are so similar they can interchange parts.

Good luck.

RugerLC9-Kel-TecPF9comparison-1.jpg

Pretty dern close.

Wow what a great comparison. I think from a looks stand point the Kel-Tec looks a bit more James Bond. Thanks for posting this.

For what it's worth...I took the LC9 to the range today. After putting a little over 50 rounds of assorted ammo I was impressed. It never jammed or hiccupped once. I got bullets into a pretty tight circle. It's now my daily carry gun.

I've owned 5 keltec pistols. A p32, a p3at, and 3 different pf9's. My daughter carries the 32. It is the only one I really liked, and the only one that did require any work to make it reliable or comfortable in my hand. And the only one I would consider buy again.
The 380 took forever to get it to run reliably. Had to actually grind down the feed ramp as it was too long and the rounds would nose right into it. Just about the time I got it running, my wife bought me a sig p238. Well the keltec now belongs go my son And the sig is with me all day every day!
I bought and sold 3 of the pf9's because I so wanted to like it. Really easy to carry, all 3 were totally reliable, but just awful to shoot. Took a ton of work to get rid of all the sharp molding flash and to make the triggers quit pinching my finger. But after all that, for just a little more cash, a guy can get any number of much better quality pieces. You are gunna love the Ruger, I'm sure.

I considered a LC9 and have looked at the PF9 / PF11, but I went with a Kahr CW9 instead. I like the slightly longer grip and I love the Kahr DAO triggers. I got mine for $299 + BGC. The extra mag from Kahr on the value series is a nice bonus. I hope you enjoy the Ruger!

KelTec's are the best of the "cheap" guns. The P-11 in particular has been around for a long time and is a proven, reliable piece. I have owned a few of them over the years but I could never get used to the trigger and they always wound up as trade material for me. I can afford better now so I have no need for them, but for someone on a really tight budget they are a better choice than a Taurus.

I had a PF9 and was OK. Reliable but couldn't get used to the trigger, even knowing it was intentionally heavy and long. I disagree that they are better than a Taurus in the same price range. I think they in the same class, with the exception that Taurus has a higher ceiling with other models not primarily designed for CC/pocket carry. The kel-tec lineup is very limited IMO. Obviously there are a multitude of options at greatly different price points that will work for different people.

My vote for Kel-Tec over Taurus is because Kel-Tec stands behind their products.

When it comes to warranty and service Kel-Tec is known for excellence where Taurus is known as having the most horrendous customer service in the business. While they do offer a lifetime warranty for original owners expect a 6 month or even 12 month turnaround time.

I have experience with both and to be honest the keltec service was slightly faster, and the Taurus service was nothing bad. 3 weeks on my PF9 and 4 for a mag catch replacement on a PT145. That is the extent of the service experience I have with both companies but they were also both second hand guns and the warranties were honored by both.

*edited for auto-correct mistakes*

Last Edited:
Let's hope Taurus has taken some of the criticism to heart and fixed their issues. I know they've lost a good many customers for life because of their service in the past.

I really liked my TCP 380. It was smoother and a better fit & finish than my p3at but it was fussy about hollow point ammo where my keltec ate up everything.

It appears that I forgot to follow up on the LC9 purchase.

I took the LC9 to an indoor range since fire danger has closed my regular range. I took 200 rounds of every time of 9mm ammo including some very old duty rounds.

At first I couldn't hit the target very proficiently at 15 yards. I then brought the target a bit closer until I had a tight grouping. When I put the target back to the 15 & 25 yard line my groupings remained tight. I guess I had to get used to the trigger pull & get in rhythm with the gun.

It fired all 200 rounds of ammo without a hitch.

I took it home, cleaned it, & it became my daily carry gun. I have great confidence in it in that capacity.

When adjusting my gun inventory spreadsheet I realized Ruger was now a majority of my guns. Sig Sauer is a close second though. I must feel that Ruger makes great guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews