JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the Anschutz rifles at the Jr Club a person can "feel" the dirt wrench in 22lr rim thickness. Some bulk box are too thick to get the bolt closed on. Now these are precision rifles but there are actual differences from one bran to another.

Operator error? I've had nothing but good luck with Ruger on the whole. And I have 3 brand new rugers as of this month. Everyone gets a lemon at some point I suppose

Small semi autos can be finicky with certain types of ammo, in particular when they are new. That is reason why people with a clue "break-in" their pistols before trusting their life to it.
Myself, I "qualilfy" all new pistols for self defense to make certain they run. I expect new guns to feed all major brands of ammo from the start or I send them back or sell them. I'm curious if the suggestion here is to find, and only run certain brands of ammo thru a finicky gun?

I edited my post, but I've had it happen personally.
Ive had it happen with 3 different pistols over the years. All major name brands. 1 I immediately sold because I bought it used and didnt know if warranty would cover it (I should have kept this one because it eventually became a collector piece). 1 I got repaired under warranty and it eats anything now. The last one took some negotiating with the manufacturer but I demanded they replace the pistol entirely (they couldnt fix it) and the new one eats any brand of ammo just fine.
I cant say I agree with accepting living with a tolerance issue with a modern name brand gun. At least not a self defense gun.

Last Edited:
Operator error? I've had nothing but good luck with Ruger on the whole. And I have 3 brand new rugers as of this month. Everyone gets a lemon at some point I suppose
Operator error? Not likely. My first gun was a single six. Still have it and have shot countless rounds through it. This Wrangler I got would lock up and the hammer is unable to complete a full stroke.

I'm not unfamiliar with small .380s either. Been carrying various models for over a decade. This ain't my first rodeo, and this is not caused by user error...

IMG_20221129_135511182.jpg IMG_20221129_135607537.jpg IMG_20221129_140032729.jpg IMG_20221129_140150730.jpg

Seems like the rounds are getting hung up on the chamber shoulder. Even with the barrel out of the gun, the round still gets caught and doesn't like to fully seat.

I've had to send every new Ruger back due to fit and finish issues or QC problems. They've all been solid once looked over and repaired, but I always assume a new Ruger will need work before it's perfect. That reminds me, I need to send back my MKIV, the extractor is peening and chipping away its notch...

Ruger has excellent customer service and won't ask too many questions because they know they're sending out products that aren't as good as they should be.
FWIW Ruger customer service has ALWAYS been good in my experience.. In years past I had one or two issues, and Ruger dealt with them in a timely and satisfactory manner.

Operator error? Not likely. My first gun was a single six. Still have it and have shot countless rounds through it. This Wrangler I got would lock up and the hammer is unable to complete a full stroke.

I'm not unfamiliar with small .380s either. Been carrying various models for over a decade. This ain't my first rodeo, and this is not caused by user error...

View attachment 1321506View attachment 1321505View attachment 1321504View attachment 1321503

Seems like the rounds are getting hung up on the chamber shoulder. Even with the barrel out of the gun, the round still gets caught and doesn't like to fully seat.
Well that certainly does look like operator error. You're using beat up ammo. :s0084: :s0121:

Seriously though, that does not look good. I'd send that dog back in a heartbeat without messing with it one bit. I'm a Ruger fan, but that doesn't look the least bit acceptable, and I HATE sending stuff back. It's a pain. Good luck. Hopefully Ruger will make things right quickly.

View attachment 1321506View attachment 1321505View attachment 1321504View attachment 1321503

Is it the picture or are your bullets dented? Looks like small indents…

The thing about revolvers is, typically they are finer tuned and work at closer tolerances than typical semi automatics. As a general rule. It's easier to screw up a revolver by trying to make it in a hurry. Yes, Ruger has a history of good customer service. And that is a good thing, because it's often needed. Don't get me wrong, for the most part, I've liked the Rugers that I've owned. I still have one. But like so many other products, I think their level of quality and QC have deteriorated. Go to one of the websites on Google, like Glassdoor, and read employee reviews. You can get some idea of what is going on inside the factories. Ruger is just like any other work place, there are all kinds of people working there. You can't expect every product to be perfect right out of the box because it's a firearm.

When labor costs were relatively low, revolvers were assembled and fitted by hand. Much of the assembly work was done by one employee at a single station. When labor costs took off after WW2, firearms makers began implementing cost containment measures. Machines took over more of the work and there was less hand fitting. Eventually CNC came along. Ruger was a pioneer in introducing cost saving designs, materials and manufacturing methods. This was all about making products that had popular prices while allowing the manufacturer to make a fair profit.

For the same reasons above, Smith & Wesson has made some disappointing contemporary products as well. For reasons of economy, Colt basically dropped out of making affordable revolvers until lately, and I have no experience of the limited product they offer now.

Just got off the phone with Ruger; they're sending a while new barrel and slide assembly. Guess it's cheaper for them than shipping and trying to fix the gun. They had me send back the wrangler.

Just got off the phone with Ruger; they're sending a while new barrel and slide assembly. Guess it's cheaper for them than shipping and trying to fix the gun. They had me send back the wrangler.
Thanks for a thread not about any new law. :s0155:

Found this.

I'm curious if the suggestion here is to find, and only run certain brands of ammo thru a finicky gun?
I don't think so. Some guns come with tighter tolerances or manufacturing defects that will often wear into the appropriate tolerances for reliable operation. I personally have never had a gun that wouldn't run out of the box. Heck, sometimes I won't even bother cleaning the factory gunk and blasting away.

Some striker fire guns with weak springs may not ignite heavier primers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top