JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An inexpensive practice method that worked for me, I bought a Red Ryder BB gun and a packet of ping pong balls, threw the balls around the yard and started firing away. You can almost see the BB leave the barrel and there is no noise to disturb the neighbors, if you have any. Enough practice and you will develop a site picture with both eyes open. I have been playing with a BB gun and ping pong balls for a couple of years and just naturally keep both eyes open when firing a pistol, rifle or shotgun, in fact, now I have to really concentrate on what I am doing in order to close one eye and aim at a target.

Easy fix (well maybe not). Shoot the inside gun. With both eyes open you can see two guns. Aim and shoot the inside one. Takes practice, but it works. The dominate eye will automatically be the inside gun.
Ed

I've started rifle shooting with an aperture sight and found that closing one eye makes the round aperture go "D" shaped. I'd always considered myself a good winker, but I guess not. Both eyes open gave a jumble of images so I did the trick of applying "fuzz" in the form of scotch tape on my left lens. Works great. I've heard that closing one eye makes the eyes try to adjust each eye for very different light conditions and causes a small optical freakout. I can well believe it now that I shoot with both open.

I guess this doesn't help a pistol in a tactical situation much. Quick draw shades?

I agree with enjr4, shoot the inside gun. I'm right handed, right eye dominant, and shoot with both eyes open. I think that in a defensive situation your focus must be on the target, this will leave you with two gun images. The "inside" (left image) gun is the one that aligns with the right eye. I also cock my head a little to the right, this elevates the "inside" (left) gun image making it seem dominant. After much practice I hardly notice the "outside (right image) gun anymore.

Practice, practice, practice. Jim Donahue

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads