JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This, like the POTD & VOTD threads (awesome) in which is a place to share what books you are reading and why. Whats good, whats bad, whats offensive, etc. This should relatively be short and sweet with some description to allow others to read and come to their own conclusions. I would like this to stay as an in print* (physical or once was) reading/book discussion even though copies can be found elsewhere (electronically).

For me (other than the Bible & related concordances) the books below are my top 5 for an enormous impact on me as well as other family members and friends:

Unintended Consequences - John Ross
Lights Out - Halffast
Enemies Foreign and Domestic - Matt Bracken
A Failure of Civility - Mike Garand / Jack Lawson
Contact! - Max Velocity

Since they are all different I will not give a summary of why they are related. I will leave you all with some options to look at if you haven't.

Reading right now:
Commando A Journal of the Boer War , by Deneys Reitz.
Reitz was a 17 year old Boer when he went to fight ....and he wrote a very readable account of his actions.

Last read:
The Complete Chronicles of Conan , by Robert E. Howard.
All the stories of Conan as written by Howard and in the order he wrote them.
Also Conan in print is no where near as one dimensional as in the films...

Reading next :
Not sure yet... I'll get back to you...

Excellent thread!
Andy

Fracture Gradient.jpe Fracture Gradient by Jim McCulloch
bookShow.me/0985774509

Last Edited:
Enemies Foreign and Domestic - Matt Bracken

Bracken's entire series is great; the latest Red Cliffs of Zerhoun is the best yet.

Several books that I regularly recommend:

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
Start With the Why by Simon Sinek
Lincoln on Leadership by Phillip Donaldson
Ethics by Aristotle
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Prince by Machiavelli
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The Road to Serfdom by Friedrich Hayek
Human, all to Human by Friedrich Nietzsche
The Mystery of Capital by Hernando de Soto

I'm currently reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Next on my list is Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa

Just reinforces my long held conviction on just how big of wussies Rangers really are! ;):D
You ever notice that most SF personnel also have gone to Ranger school...?....;):D

That said , having worked with and gone on combat operations along side SF personnel...they are pretty Damn tough...and among the most low key and down to earth folks I have met.

Back on topic :
The Journals of Major Robert Rogers is still in print.
While there were a few other Ranger units operating during this time period
( The French and Indian War )...Rogers Rangers were the most famous.
Current day Rangers can trace their lineage and history back to this and other Ranger units.
Andy

I am currently reading (listening) to:

The Odyssey of Echo Company
The 1968 Tet Offensive and the Epic Battle to Survive the Vietnam War
by Doug Stanton
CJ Wilson

The Odyssey of Echo Company

Odyssey: The Tet Offensive and the Epic Battle of Echo Company to Survive the Vietnam War by Doug Stanton

This is the story of Recon Platoon, Echo Company, 1st Battalion (Airborne), 501st Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division – December 1967 to December 1968.

This story is a "you are there" look at the Vietnam War from the ground level at the most basic unit. Stan Parker is the main focus, but each member of the recon platoon lends their viewpoint and oral history. Mr. Stanton's writing allows the reader to experience the war as though they were part of the platoon.

Prior to this one, I read Marcus Luttrell's book:

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell

Very, very different from the movie.

Red Storm Rising is what I'm listening to now.

The audio Bible narrated by David Suchet is the most pleaurable to listen to. His voice is amazing and he has a knack for adding emphasis exactly where it belongs.

19E44F58-91A2-4D13-897B-8DB56F80DBA4.png

Just finished a pretty good mystery/murder/espionage novel. However, I almost closed the book and tossed it when the author described a cop handling his "30-ought shotgun". No fooling! That's as bad as reading about the "smell of cordite" from a S&W .44 mag revolver!

Jerry

Just finished a pretty good mystery/murder/espionage novel. However, I almost closed the book and tossed it when the author described a cop handling his "30-ought shotgun". No fooling! That's as bad as reading about the "smell of cordite" from a S&W .44 mag revolver!

Jerry

Better yet, a tough guy character cocking his Glock's hammer, then when the action is over gently letting the hammer down to make it safe.

I am now reading :
The Life and Adventures of James P. Beckwourth...By T.D. Bonner.

Beckwourth was a Mountain Man who first went west with around 1815 or so...
I say around and or so...'cause Bonner who took Beckwourth's story from the Beckwourth himself...made some "improvements" and was a bit creative with the truth at times.
Bonner's actions here , has cast Beckwourth in a bad light at times...I think unfairly. ( to Beckwoutth )

All that said , the book is well worth seeking out and reading as it is full of adventure and I have no doubt that what happened , did indeed happen...just not maybe all to Beckwourth...

As this book was written in 1856 ...it is high time for a new look at Beckwourth's life and perhaps a new biography as well....
Andy

My three most recent reads are:
Our Lost Constitution - Mike Lee
The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer
Damn Few: The Making of a Modern Day Seal Warrior - Rorke Denver

Hm. My 3 most recently read books were:

Hi! Fly Guy
Fly Guy and Buzz Boy
Fly Guy's Ninja Christmas

Children's books are outnumbering adult books in our abode.

The last adult level book I read was probably one of John Geirach's essay books, Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing, or probably rereading Trout Bum for the 1001'st time.

I'm currently recovering from a Broken Right Ankle and so have a fair amount of time to do some reading. I found a book titled "The Story of One Peter Cleague" by Robert R. Hamlyn. It's available in both electronic format and in paperback at:
The Story of One Peter Cleague

As a Shooter and Gun Collector I found it to be a very interesting read. It's a novel about the "What Ifs" based mainly in the PNW.:):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top