JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BOSTON (AP) - The two bombs that ripped through the crowds at the Boston Marathon, killing three people and wounding more than 170, were fashioned out of pressure cookers and packed with shards of metal, nails and ball bearings, a person briefed on the investigation said Tuesday.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51558141/ns/sports/

--- After reading earlier that some gun-grabbing "officials" said the bombs could have been made from bullets and gun powder I had to post this one.

TTAG is reporting:
Boston Marathon Bomb Packed with Gunpowder, Shrapnel

"A pressure cooker stuffed with gunpowder and shrapnel caused at least one of the blasts at the Boston Marathon that killed three people and injured 176 others in the worst attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11, 2001," chicagotribune.com reports. The trib attributes the info to "law enforcement" sources...

--- Here might be something the gun grabbers want so to call for bans or more regulation on powder.

I bet you the anti gunners will propose legislation limiting purchases of smokeless and blackpowder quantities regardless of whether it was homemade or not... :(

At least we can honestly say you can't buy ammo or powder in bulk right now... :)

if I'm not mistaken wouldnt there need to be an ignition source to light the powder... As from what I gathered from that quote it sounded like the powder was just sitting in the cooker... I doubt that the pressure in the cooker would be great enough to cause the powder to ignite. So even if there was powder it would have played no part in the explosion unless there was a source to light the powder

The pressure cooker is just used as a container that can withstand the pressure of the slow burning blackpowder or smokeless powder long enough to let pressure build to a slightly heigher velocity. The container itself also becomes more shrapnel. Gunpowder is a low velocity explosive and that is why there were not as many injuries or deaths. The first people to get hit essentially absorbed the force of the explosion and the projectiles did not have enough weight or velocity to perforate multiple victims. If you have ever seen an IED made from an artillery round, an anti tank mine, or just a stick of C4 go off, you would realize how lucky we are that this terrorist only had access to low velocity explosives. The construction of the trash cans, if the bombs were placed inside trash cans as reported, would also either enhance the explosions effect or diminish it. Putting explosives in trash cans was quite popular in Europe as the can would become the shrapnel. A trash can such as this one would allow the explosive force to vent and would not create shrapnel if a low velocity explosive is used. Use C4 or TNT and all bets are off.

4DBF103E-CA86-4ADD-82EA-43B51316746C-7849-00000AC7A2464650_zps19aa9cf8.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads