JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stoeger Cougar ?(Beretta moved the production of the Cougar to Stoeger).
It's said that the rotating barrel reduces muzzle rise and are an excellent pistol for the money..l've only inspected one but the quality seemed excellent.
I own a Beretta Cougar 9mm.Very well made pistol.It is double and single action with decocker.It does reduce muzzle climbed with the rotating barel

Did your boss really tell you to start carrying? That strikes me as a huge legal liability!
A lot different from what I would consider an ideal situation.
Going from self defense of your self to protecting a business ... strongly suggest talking with a lawyer.

Part 2.
What is driving you away from a striker fired pistol?

Shoot.... Add Walther P99 as a very good choice that has all your requirements and is lighter than the Sig. I have the P99c and it's very reliable but (c)ompact...... Can find them new on the shelf for $500.00

CZ 75 BD or any of the newer variants like the SP-01 Tactical ("tactical" in that it's a decocker, not safety model) - though you get a 4.5" barrel on the full size CZ's - you want 4" you need a "compact" which is the same rough size as an XD Service model. You would be looking at the 75BD Compact, 75 PCR, or 75 P-01 - or their polymer framed Omega series gun the P-07.

Any of the "compact" versions of the CZ 75 offer 14+1 capacity, the full size guns using flush mags are 16+1, and extended mag that the SP-01 comes with are 18 rounders.

There are too many good guns that fit your criteria... Smith & Wesson classic metal framed guns ala the 39xx, 59xx series of guns - the HK USP or P30, Beretta PX4 (similar to the Stoeger, but polymer framed thus lighter weight) the Ruger P89 (cheap, a bit clunky, but great shooters!) Lionhart LH9, a Beretta 92 Brigadier...

Walther is also making a polymer framed, hammer fired gun that goes for about $300 - I think it's called the PPX. I've seen them locally at Fisherman's Marine, Sportman's Warehouse, and CDNN is always blasting my in box about them.

Good luck with your choice.

To answer the few questions about why the boss may have said that. It has nothing to do with anything other than there has been some violent crime around the neighborhood where we work. Not a "please protect the office, or other staff" thing at all. Just a concerned boss. No offense.... but the talk to a lawyer comment is totally non-justified in this situation.

To answer the why non-striker fired question. Mainly I want to be able to carry or be in condition 2.

I
To answer the few questions about why the boss may have said that. It has nothing to do with anything other than there has been some violent crime around the neighborhood where we work. Not a "please protect the office, or other staff" thing at all. Just a concerned boss. No offense.... but the talk to a lawyer comment is totally non-justified in this situation.

To answer the why non-striker fired question. Mainly I want to be able to carry or be in condition 2.

It sounds like you've got a pretty smart boss.

Good, that sounds like your boss is concerned for your personal safety.

What do you mean by Condition 2?
I get the Condition 1, 2, 3 as they relate to Single Action pistols, like a 1911. However, things get murky after that.

How about: Striker Fired, Bullet in the Chamber, Magazine in the Pistol, External Safety Engaged?

HK P7M13 9mm double stack, 4" fixed barrel, gas blowback design.
~$2,300, more with threaded barrel.
Lots of people have no idea how to use them (squeeze cocker).
You can sell your boss on it because it takes 2-3 seconds to remove the firing pin, rendering it useless, same to put it back. Keep it at work, it's handy, and always safe until you enable it.

The DA/SA transition takes some time and dedication to master.
Striker fired is the way to go IMHO. I would recommend the
Smith and Wesson M & P pistols. Superior ergonomics. Better
accuracy do to the reinforced 'stiffer' frame. I own several DA/SA
S & Ws and 1911s. And I love the M & Ps.

In your criteria, I would go with a Beretta 92, you could get a threaded barrel for it. And they are not expensive.

If not that I would go with a Sig.
However, I sold my Beretta for a Sig 229 and was very unhappy with that decision.
I'm a glock guy now, but still wish I had my Beretta back.

Good, that sounds like your boss is concerned for your personal safety.

What do you mean by Condition 2?
I get the Condition 1, 2, 3 as they relate to Single Action pistols, like a 1911. However, things get murky after that.

How about: Striker Fired, Bullet in the Chamber, Magazine in the Pistol, External Safety Engaged?

What I mean is: Round in the chamber, and a long heavy trigger pull, then single action.

That may be ok, though I am not trained for the external safety. As I mentioned ( I think) I have only really owned XD's for semi-auto pistols. It would take me some training for a manual safety. NOt that I am opposed to that... Just never really thought about it... I guess that is what this forum is for, bouncing ideas.

I think I would opt for a decocker gun over one with a safety for your first da srrvice gun - no need to remember to deactivate a safety for the first shot. Very much like your xd except a heavy first pull.

What I mean is: Round in the chamber, and a long heavy trigger pull, then single action.

That may be ok, though I am not trained for the external safety. As I mentioned ( I think) I have only really owned XD's for semi-auto pistols. It would take me some training for a manual safety. NOt that I am opposed to that... Just never really thought about it... I guess that is what this forum is for, bouncing ideas.

What you currently carry is fine. You've been trained and are familiar with that pistol. So you currently don't carry one in the pipe?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top