JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Talking to the boss the other day and he tells me I might want to start packin' heat. He knows I have a CCP, and I do carry quite a bit. He basically was asking me to carry. But I have been thinking, in the recent months, since I kind of have my own little space I have been considering getting a handgun safe for my office and just having it there for me every day. I digress.

I have been a springfield XD guy for years. In fact that is pretty much the only Semi-auto handgun I have ever owned. Though, I am becoming less of a striker fired fan. So I want some help picking my new handgun. My critera are as follows:

1. Full size (Not tactical or compact). Looking for a near 4" barrel. (No 5" and no 3")
2. Decocker (so I can carry one in the pipe)
3. Double action, single action.
4. Double stack mag.
5. Reliable. (Should go without saying)
6. In the $500 - 700 range.

BONUS: threaded barrel.

Don't necessarily care about ambidextrous. I may have some other things that I think of, after I get a few suggestions.

FIRE AWAY!!!

Stoeger Cougar ?(Beretta moved the production of the Cougar to Stoeger).
It's said that the rotating barrel reduces muzzle rise and are an excellent pistol for the money..l've only inspected one but the quality seemed excellent.

Last Edited:
What do you have against striker fire?

USP fits your criteria, if just barely, on the price piece. Chose your flavor, chose your size... everything fits.

CZ SP-01

Or not meeting your criteria.

Springfield XDM 9mm

Glock 17 or 34

I second the CZ75 P07. Super reliable, I have maybe 800-900 rds through it without any cleaning - I clean all my other guns, this is a test project for me. Not a single hick-up. Very soft shooting due to a low riding slide. It projects recoil mostly horizontally with little muzzle flip. Relatively light due to polymer construction. Easy to conceal carry. A natural pointer in my almost large hands. Nice sight radius and excellent night sights. Recoil spring is stiff - teaches you a push(main) pull(assist) to rack the slide. Maybe not ideal for the elderly with limited strength. Oh, yes, accurate too ...

I second the CZ75 P07. Super reliable, I have maybe 800-900 rds through it without any cleaning - I clean all my other guns, this is a test project for me. Not a single hick-up. Very soft shooting due to a low riding slide. It projects recoil mostly horizontally with little muzzle flip. Relatively light due to polymer construction. Easy to conceal carry. A natural pointer in my almost large hands. Nice sight radius and excellent night sights. Recoil spring is stiff - teaches you a push(main) pull(assist) to rack the slide. Maybe not ideal for the elderly with limited strength. Oh, yes, accurate too ...
the ONLY and i mean ONLY thing i would have to say about MY p07 is that my badman 115gr LRN reloads with a COL of 1.110 will not allow the gun to go into battery. its a tight chamber. all my other 9mm accept the same round with no hitches. i know its a combination of a tight chamber AND the shape of the badman lead round nose projectile. a plated bullet of the same length does not prevent the gun from going into battery. my fix for this was to start loading plated bullets. also,i tumbled all of my lead round nose reloads (about 4000) in some agressive media And now they go into battery just fine.

If the decococker is necessary, I would start looking at some police trade in Sig P226's, P229's, or a used HK USPc (it's really not that compact). Both are dead reliable and would not worry about them being used. High quality all the way around.

This is the nice thing about being freelance: I AM "the boss," and in my shop all CPL-holder weps are authorized starting with Numero Uno. :D

(Granted, the extent of the business is just me and my laptop and maybe once in a while a subcontractor or two, but... LOL)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top