JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have Winchester model 37 single shot shotgun in 20 gauge...I shoot petty good with it and its easy to carry in the field for grouse.
Grouse by the way are my favorite critters to hunt.
I was thinking of having the Full choke on this gun opened up to say Modified or Improved Cylinder or perhaps have it threaded and choke tubes installed.
I only plan on using this gun for grouse...

So is it that hard of a job to have a 'Smith bore my barrel out to Modified or IC ...or would it be better and or cheaper to have it threaded for choke tubes....?

Its an older gun , so barrel thickness , may come into play here , for the tubes.
Its also not in "collector grade" shape , not beat up , by any means , just good honest wear from field use.
Andy

I will say the barrels on my mid-forties Springfield SXS are REALLY thin compared to modern scatter guns. I can see how that might be an issue.

The barrel on my 37 ( 1950's era ) , is thinner than the barrels on my 870's ( 1962 and 1981 ) as well as being thinner than the barrel on my NEF Pardner 20 gauge single shot ( 2015 ) .

I have read that a thin barrel may make installing choke tubes difficult or impossible...so I may just have the choke bored out ....which will be fine ...Actually either will work , just would like a easy fix for my "choking issue"...:D
Andy

Andy, can you post a picture of the muzzle end for reference?

@Velzey can you chime in here? I know Andy is probably too far away but I know you'll have some advice! :)

Seems to be a trend these days eh? :rolleyes::D
You caught that did ya...?...Only too true...:D

And don't come back and be sayin', "it's a scosh larger than a dram"!! :s0118:

(whatever the heck that is) ;)
You read me like the cheap pulp fiction novel that I am....I was actually thinking of doing that...:D
Andy

Andy... Gunsmiths use reamers to open the choke up properly. The Model 37 is actually quite a bit more valuable than you may know with the 20 ga worth 300-500 in good to excellent shape. They all came with full chokes.
Any modification will devalue the gun from original.
Rich

Thanks Mooseman...
This one is in good working order...a ding here or there on the stock and the bluing is faded on the barrel with most of the blue loss on the receiver itself...as I said it is not a collectors piece...
I rather doubt I could get $300 or more for it here where I live and hunt.
Regardless its not for sale , but for me to hunt with ...and less than full choke will work better for grouse.
Andy

I am aware that any alteration like I want will permanently change the gun...and if it was in a higher condition , had some history etc...I wouldn't change the gun...

This is just a working gun with honest hunting wear on it...I would like to make a "better" working gun for what I hunt , in this case grouse.

And yes I know its :
A Winchester...
Pre-64...
Not made any more...

But again its already had loads of use and will continue to be used regardless of any changes I may or may not do...
Andy

Guess we Winchester Collectors aren't going to convince you to keep it as is and go buy a dang cheap single shot 20 gauge to butcher up....or find a later model 370 Winchester.:(
Nope...
I like to shoot old classic guns...and I already had a "Cheap single shot 20 " in a NEF Pardner...but the Winchester handles and looks better.

Why is that when a guy fixes up an old classic car its okay...but if he dares to mention doing that to a old classic gun , its somehow wrong..?
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top