JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By the way...this was a old wrecked gun that was rusted and non working...
Guess I "Butchered it up " by re-working her up and making her shoot again...:rolleyes:
What is better a pile of rusted parts with an oil soaked , split stock or a rifle that works and serves as a history lesson..?
Andy
DSC06619 (1).jpg

DSC06621 (1).jpg

DSC06632 (1).jpg

DSC06622 (1).jpg

Again two important things here...
It Is Not A "Valuable" Winchester... No matter what a book or any Winchester Collector says , its never going to be more than a $150 dollar shotgun , around here where I live....
And its my shotgun...I will do with it as I damn well please.
Andy

Just theorizing in my head, Velzey might know if this is possible, but could you simply remove some of the barrel, like 2-4"? To get in front of the tapered portion that is full choke?

I cut off 8" of one of those H&Rs back when. It was a full choke too. I want to say it was pretty close to cylinder afterwards. That and the shorter barrel helped spread.

Heck maybe just shortening the barrel might help spread even if it's still full choke diameter.

Nope...
I like to shoot old classic guns...and I already had a "Cheap single shot 20 " in a NEF Pardner...but the Winchester handles and looks better.

Why is that when a guy fixes up an old classic car its okay...but if he dares to mention doing that to a old classic gun , its somehow wrong..?
Andy

Andy, I say go for it! My Springfield used to be a 28" SXS. Dad had it cut down to a coach gun. Gave it to me 7 years ago. I liked it enough to have @Velzey do a complete overhaul. I'm sure I spent more than what it's worth, especially since dad chopped it. But I love it!!

If you try spreader loads, you should be able to open it up easily and for cheap. Without molesting the barrel.

RST should have something that will cover your needs.

Once you do open the choke up, it will never be as capable at range as it is today.

So what would you say to me if I was gonna take My original .69 Harpers Ferry musket that is in almost museum quality Shape and wanted to cut about 2 feet off the barrel to make it easier to hunt with ?

My gun is not in the same league as your example...so the comparison is a bad one to say the least.
If pressed I would say "Don't do it"...but its your gun , do what you want.
Besides I have one already , two actually...so it won't harm me at all...
Andy

My gun is not in the same league as your example...so the comparison is a bad one to say the least.
If pressed I would say "Don't do it"...but its your gun , do what you want.
Besides I have one already , two actually...so it won't harm me at all...
Andy

Mic drop.

Again two important things here...
It Is Not A "Valuable" Winchester... No matter what a book or Winchester Collector says , its never going to be more than a $150 dollar shotgun , around here where I live....
And its my shotgun...I will do with it as I damn well please.
Andy

Man.... y'all need to learn to speak "Andy". He essentially said this 2-3 posts ago.... but NOOOOoooo you had to go and slap some heat-rub on the bear's balls and get him all riled up and grouchy-like, didn't ya?!

o_O:rolleyes:

;):D

@AndyinEverson is probably one of the nicest dude's here at NWFA.

Until he's not. :D

I'm his polar opposite. ;)

Still waiting on the muzzle pick Andy, really for my own curiosity. I took one of my SXS and noticed not only the thin walled barrels but the barrel isn't perfectly "centered" in the steel. Interesting. :)

I'll have to a get a picture of the muzzle soon and measurements as well...got to cooking dinner and getting riled up here has made the picture gettin' and measurement takin' a mite slower than I would like...:D
Andy

I'll have to a get a picture of the muzzle soon and measurements as well...got to cooking dinner and getting riled up here , has made the picture gettin' and measurement takin' a mite slower than I would like...:D
Andy

May I post my picture? Just for educational purposes really. Not completely on topic. If not I could convo you it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top