JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last year I broke down and bought a Site-Lite SL-500 - I had some Amazon cards saved up and nothing else from them I really wanted or needed, so I pulled the trigger on this.

It sat unused for a while because my schedule was making it tough to get time to do some of my shooting stuff. But over the holidays, I took some time to get it out and start messing with it. So far, I'm quite pleased.

It works from .22 cal up to .50 cal + 12 gauge. Works on pistols, rifles and shotguns. It has different O rings that allow you to custom fit the end of the laser in the bore.

My first tests were on (2) .22 cal air rifles and (2) pistols, one 9mm, one .40 I wanted to see how close to reality the sights were, and on the pistols, I already knew the point of aim, so I was just verifying the laser was accurate. It made adjusting my red dot and scope on the two air rifles quick and simple, and the laser is definitely right on the money - I hit right where it said I would for the distance I sighted it in for. I'm looking forward to testing it out on my regular rifles, hopefully in the near future.

One of the main things I like is that I can easily do this at home and save the limited time I have at the range for shooting.

l_100004085_1_m.jpg

ill-howtheywork.gif

Last Edited:
Had to re-zero my AR after moving the scope forward a few slots on the rail. After a few shots with nothing on paper, I went ahead a pulled the bolt out to bore sight it. Found out the scope was aimed a few inches off of the paper at about 10 o'clock, and adjusted accordingly. The next few rounds were just slightly low of my point of aim, and after 2 more small adjustments, I had it dead on.

No fancy lasers or anything, just looked down the bore until it was centered on the target, then popped my head up to look through the scope. Easy peasy.

No links, this is just the way I do it. I put the gun in my rest and spin the magnet laser. If the dot doesn't rotate in a circle on the wall I assume its fairly accurate. Homemade chili in the background is optional, but helps.:D
View attachment 336775
Then I just line up the cross hairs outside on a fence or something.
View attachment 336776

Take out the bolt sand bag that rifle on a light through the barrel a long way from the living room. Adjust the scope to that point.

I left my bore scope at the shop one day and had sold a rifle and scope to a client he asked me to bore sight it, So I did [as above] expecting him to shoot it in at the range.
Two weeks later he said to me - First shot, I got my first buck And you did a great job bore sighting my rifle.

I asked did you ever shoot the rifle in on paper, he said no
I just went hunting. He looked confused and I almost fell over.
Silver Hand

Interesting thread. I started out bore sighting using the 'bore and distant object' method. It works very well and I have used it on just about anything where I can view both bore and sighting device. 100 yds is ideal but 25 yds will definitely get you on paper. Fine tune with your ammo at your chosen range. When living in a 'confined' area I purchase an optical boresighter with spuds for the different calibers. It will work on any rifle and scope set up that lets it be seen through the scope. The AR is a challenge but there is way to extend the height of the boresighter. You can buy a riser or make your own. As for the laser spud my friend bought one and then he had to buy a new rifle! They can produce impressive results when left in the barrel!

I use the Mk1A1 Eyeball. Remove bolt and rest rifle on bags, find 100 yard target in bore, make crosshairs and bore point at the same thing, I'm never more than a few inches off. I mounted a scope on a coworkers AR10 the other day and had it zeroed with 5 shots. First was only 3 inches from center. I always start at 100 on any rifle that allows me to see down the barrel.

The last scoped wheel gun I bore sighted was done from seven to ten yards on a bench, with sand bags.

It took about nine rounds to find center! I knew it was perfect due to the fact the last three were about dead center and in the same hole.
That gun will shoot the same way @25yards all day any day.
Hand loads only - Of Course!!!
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
As for bore sighting, I use those laser cartridges. I have about 35 ft. from the kitchen divider, through the laundry room to the
inside of the garage door. That seems to be far enough for an accurate read and dark enough that those little red lasers show
up nicely. The last laser cartridge I bought was for 12GA. and slugs fired later were right on.;)

I laser bore sighted my Vortex Strike Eagle with 25yds to work with. Put me dead on center @ 50yds. Went directly to the 100yd bench and was maybe 2in off of center. 1 adjustment and the next 2 shots were a silver dollar group. I like the laser with my AR15. It was the second time using the laser system. My kid used it on his .22 pellet rifle and was driving nails with it. As long as you remember to compensate for center to center of barrel to scope then your fine. I think it's kinda fun this way. Now my 30-06, or my other bolt guns, it's easy to just remove the bolt. And those have been sighted in for YEARS, with no need to ever unmount them.

YOU can buy a good laser bore site for $60 or 70 Buck's that will get you with in a few inches 12 rounds at the most your on target use mine all the time

"Two weeks later he said to me - First shot, I got my first buck And you did a great job bore sighting my rifle.

I asked did you ever shoot the rifle in on paper, he said no
I just went hunting. He looked confused and I almost fell over.
Silver Hand"

The other side of the coin is when someone would come into the shop I worked at and say they: "Missed the biggest buck they ever saw." And when one of us would ask if they sighted the rifle in after we bore sighted it for them would say: "No, I didn't think I had to, I thought it would be close enough"....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top