JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got my new AR last weekend Got a scope had it put on and had it bore sighted.. Well long story short the guy who mounted the scope did not tighten it down very much and it pretty much slide off the rail.. So anyways I figured Id Get a bore sight and do it myself...do any of you do this or have luck with it? I found this one online...

wat do you think?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/421468-REG/Bushnell_740100C_Laser_Bore_Sighter.html

or something like this?

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/SIGHTMARK-223-Laser-Bore-Sight.html?feed=Froogle

Spend a few more bucks and get the Leupold. This style is magnetic and has scale for zeroing as seen through scope. This allows to take scope off and put back on using same numbers. You can log numbers for reference when using various loads.

There are a couple problems with laser bore sighting.

1) they are very difficult to see during the day. you have to sight in around dusk.

2) they do not account for bullet drop. with 223 this isnt too much of a problem.

that being said, i use one. I just get set up at dusk. set my target at the distance i want to shoot sight in, and if need be go into dark so i can see the laser well enough. then the next day go back and finish sighting in.

I prefer the case style laser. that way there is no chance of the laser being at a slight angle.

i also have to agree with getting a leupold.

1) Pull the upper off the lower and remove the bolt and carrier
2) Place upper on stable surface pointed at something unique and recognizable some distance away.
3) Sight down the barrel at this object/place and remember it.
4) Without moving the upper sight through and adjust your scope crosshairs/dot until they are centered on the same spot.

Tada, you're boresighted enough to be on paper at 50 yards....for free.

I've got an old Bushnell. Uses an expandable spud, works---sorta OK.
It will get me on paper at 25 yds every time.

If you have something at distance you can use as a sighting point, do it
the old fashioned way. Pull the upper off of your AR. Take out the
BCG so you can look through the barrel from the rear. Figure a way to
secure the upper so it won't move. I use a cardboard box with a couple
of notches in it. You can use sandbags, a stack of books, whatever.

Look through the bore and nudge the barrel around until you see your
"target" centered in the bore. Without moving the barrel, adjust the
scope until the crosshairs are centered on the target.

Done. As good as any bore sighter, and a LOT cheaper.

Laser sighting seems like a good idea.. but it doesn't account for trajectory. Bullets don't simply fly straight. (They don't curve either Warren Commission)

An AK bullet (and most of your calibers from that point up) will rise, arch, and then drop back down.

Not sure what a .223 does though.

NO. NO. and NO again! They do NOT "rise, arch, and then drop." As soon as
they leave the muzzle they drop. There is no anti-gravity. It's an illusion based on the barrel pointing UP in relation to the line of the sights.

OK--rant mode off.:)

NO. NO. and NO again! They do NOT "rise, arch, and then drop." As soon as
they leave the muzzle they drop. There is no anti-gravity. It's an illusion based on the barrel pointing UP in relation to the line of the sights.

OK--rant mode off.:)

I don't know about this, i have seen wanted. And Angelina and that other weird looking guy could make bullets curve. so that basically blows your argument out of the water.

Just kidding, that was such a lame movie.

at 25 yds the bullet is rising to get in line with the scope which is mounted higher than the bore because the rifle is pointed slightly up to compensate for the inch or more difference between the bore and the scope. Yes I use a laser to bore sight and the "target" you get wiyh the kit explains all the differences and is marker at different points and the marks are labled for diference scope mount heights. you will pay for the laser in ammo savings.

While working at a gun dealer, I did a lot of bore-sighting using a Collimator. A number of times people would tell me later that the sights were "right on." I believe that Bi-Mart will sight in you guns at NO Charge even if you didn't purchase the gun and/or scope from them!

I've got an old Bushnell. Uses an expandable spud, works---sorta OK.
It will get me on paper at 25 yds every time.

If you have something at distance you can use as a sighting point, do it
the old fashioned way. Pull the upper off of your AR. Take out the
BCG so you can look through the barrel from the rear. Figure a way to
secure the upper so it won't move. I use a cardboard box with a couple
of notches in it. You can use sandbags, a stack of books, whatever.

Look through the bore and nudge the barrel around until you see your
"target" centered in the bore. Without moving the barrel, adjust the
scope until the crosshairs are centered on the target.

Done. As good as any bore sighter, and a LOT cheaper.

Geez, I used to think that was the only way to do it. With a bolt action, remove the bolt. If the gun is an auto and has iron sights, use those. Whatever it takes to get onto paper. Laser sighting and other methods aren't perfect either because we all know that the bullet and barrel will have a mind of their own when actually shot. You'll still have to fine tune it.

$.02

1) Pull the upper off the lower and remove the bolt and carrier
2) Place upper on stable surface pointed at something unique and recognizable some distance away.
3) Sight down the barrel at this object/place and remember it.
4) Without moving the upper sight through and adjust your scope crosshairs/dot until they are centered on the same spot.

Tada, you're boresighted enough to be on paper at 50 yards....for free.

+1 although i have the bore lazer i still do it this way i just take somthing like a match book cover and place it about 25 feet center it in the bore then center the cross hairs on it and that puts it on the paper this also works with bolt actions by removing the bolt

It's not complicated, and some of the gadgets and gimicks you can buy can be a waste of money. Open the action, put the rifle in a rest or vice and point it toward an object 100 or so yards away. Bring the sights, or reticle to where they match up with the object the bore is actually pointed at. Lock it down, and vio'la, your're bore sighted. Next, take it to the range and you will be hitting on paper, so you can dial in the scope of sights to "zero" the gun. With practice, you can get pretty good at lining them up and require little or no zeroing.

I learned how to bore sight jet fighters in the Navy.

If I laser bore sight my rifle @ 25 yards for a 5.56, do you think @ 100 yards it will be at least on paper? I have around 30 yards to work with in my back yard and don't feel like wasting ammo when I get to the range trying to do the initial sighting in. As long as I am on paper @ 100 yards then fine tuning is no problem.

Man you should get an award for oldest thread!!

Anyway, basically yes. Some depends on whether you use iron sights or optics because scope height makes a difference in ballistics. But to be sure there are a number of ballistics software available online where you input your variables and then you can see what the bullet path is at different distances. It's not necessary but it's fun.

Just used Point Blank. Not an easy program but it's free. A 5.56 load using a 55gr bullet at 3000fps muzzle velocity and a 2" scope height sited in dead on at 25yds will arrive at 4.5" high at 100yds.

Last Edited:
I like those magnetic ones for the end of the barrel.If you spin it and the dot stays true, it's a pretty accurate one. I put the cross hairs just over the dot at around 30 yrds and that will usually:confused: get me on a 10" target at 50 when sighting the gun in.
On the other hand, nothing works better than a giant piece of cardboard to shoot at.:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top