JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone recommend a bore guide for a mauser barrel in 8mm to run clearing rod through? I see some universal bore guides for cleaning rods but not sure how they would match up with the mauser receiver.

I started cleaning up one of my poor quality mousers that I got before the C&R was killed and after 100 patches through it they are still coming out black. But I think Im making a dent.

I have the Lyman (I think) uni bore guide that includes the AR15 'ability' - though I'm yet to pull it from its packaging....

Tell/show me your concern in more detail and I can have a look see if you'd be able to use this guide.

Not mine but this is a picture of a mauser receiver. Just wondering if the bore guide could fit in the receiver with the cleaning rod having to come from left to right. 24fb9e8464c944c8241e4611c61731c5.jpg

I have used the AR10 type rod guide for Mausers and it seems to work just fine. The one I have "locks" up against the rear of the reciever ring. I would imagine a Ruger/Winchester Guide would work, they are basically Mausers! If your still getting a lot of black, try using amonia. Don't be afraid of using more aggressive non gun related gun cleaners. Carb cleaner some times will lift the gunk, as will oven cleaner! Use a heat gun on the barrel to get it hot, this helps cleaners quite a bit! Hot diesel fuel can work, tranny fluid can also work! Even a can of PB-Blaster can help quite a bit! All work better when the barrel is hot!

I have used the AR10 type rod guide for Mausers and it seems to work just fine. The one I have "locks" up against the rear of the reciever ring. I would imagine a Ruger/Winchester Guide would work, they are basically Mausers! If your still getting a lot of black, try using amonia. Don't be afraid of using more aggressive non gun related gun cleaners. Carb cleaner some times will lift the gunk, as will oven cleaner! Use a heat gun on the barrel to get it hot, this helps cleaners quite a bit! Hot diesel fuel can work, tranny fluid can also work! Even a can of PB-Blaster can help quite a bit! All work better when the barrel is hot!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've already moved to the caustic bore cleaners and copper removers that you have to use outside and it is still coming out black patch after patch. Im going to keep at it but if Im going to put that much effort into it I figured I'd better get a bore guide.

It took me ages to get my Garand bore cleaned properly, i ended up using a back and forth of MPro 7 cleaner (straight cleaner as opposed to CLP) and their copper cleaner. Basically it was layers of each.

Finally got clean patches, but felt like ages and was tiring to finally get to the solution. I also used a mix of decent brushes and the tornado brushes, helps a lot to have decent bearings on the cleaning rod so it turns freely with the rifling.

I had an 03 Springfield that took several days to get clean, I took it out of it's stock and put it in a plastic tub ( I got from harbor freight) and let it soak in hot chemicals for several days! Same thing as you guys, had patch after patch black with nasty, or green, the amonia seemed to work the best on that one! I forget who made it, but there was a can of foaming bore cleaner that also worked really well on the copper fouling!

after 100 patches through it

:eek:

I got a Lee Enfield once that started out like that. I finally realized the gun was a wall-hanger and spent no more time on it. Next time I want such a gun (probably not gonna happen) I'll be more careful checking the bore before purchase.

:eek:

I got a Lee Enfield once that started out like that. I finally realized the gun was a wall-hanger and spent no more time on it. Next time I want such a gun (probably not gonna happen) I'll be more careful checking the bore before purchase.

Its starting to get better. the patches are now coming out brown instead of black. But I got this gun primarily to allow me to have metal parts to fit to replica mauser gunstocks I want to start making. so it was the cheapest mauser I could find.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top