JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And we need a cutesy nickname/slogan for the effort against Lyin' Brian... ("We" because even though I'm not in Oregon, I'm claiming a place in the effort's Propaganda Ministry and will do what I can to call down activists from across the nation upon him on your behalf... :) )

We need to be careful about that - Boquist did lose a son to suicide. It's no that he's lying, he's suffered a tragic loss and is trying to prevent others from the same thing. He has good intentions, but unfortunately the was he's going about it is not only ineffective but diminishes the rights of others. Boquist has acted by emotion and not reason. It would have been better to address the points made in the NRA document. I'd say he is more misguided than anything and clutching at straws to make a difference in order to ease his own conscience. Any parent would feel guilt about a child who commits suicide.

I'd be compassionate and use terms like misguided in terms of the campaign.

Compassion is also something DemocRATs (whether flying Donkey or Elephant colors) love to exploit at every opportunity trying to inject the emotional hypodermic needle and short-circuit rational thought.

Compassion is also something DemocRATs (whether flying Donkey or Elephant colors) love to exploit at every opportunity trying to inject the emotional hypodermic needle and short-circuit rational thought.

Basically we stick to we feel sorry for Boquist's loss, but the legislation that he passed is ineffective. Because its ineffective it's preventing other potential suicide victims from getting help. An irrational politician that is making decisions based on emotions is a danger. A danger to people who need help an a danger to people who have their right to protect themselves taken away without due process.

Basically, sticking to the truth.

It's sad he lost his son. Someone intent on suicide will accomplish it.

He would be better served helping prevent suicide by spending his time, energy and resources funding and fighting for mental health issues.

He chose an easier path. Attempting to eliminate any single means from someone intent on doing self harm is a fools errand.

I'm sorry for his loss, nothing can change that, including stomping on other people's rights...

What if his son used a Toyota to commit suicide, would he then be going after automobile manufacturers? Would there be legislation that took away your drivers license and car keys?

Seems we have too many legislators that have axes to grind because of family tragedies... Those folks are not suited to serve in their capacity, because that cannot served in a balanced manner, they're already skewed.

Seriously, there should be mental health evaluations before elected officials can take the oath of office, and they should be examined annually while serving their elected term...

I liked the written response Boquish made.
I would like to believe implementation would be as effective as he believes. And I will be following some of his links to learn more.

The NRA letter he provided, IF an accurate example of how he arrived at his conclusion, is a sad example of either misunderstanding the NRA position, or outright misrepresentation of their position. In short, it gives me little confidence '70 % of 'Republicans' support his position' in his district.

Not to quibble, I know there is a raft of difficulties in trying to solve difficult public issues.

A link I discovered included this little table:
View attachment 377038

I didn't discover the number of Veterans involved.
He is right about at least one challenge: as of yet I have yet to come up with a better plan.

The only thing his bill would do, if it is actually effective in removing firearms from those with intent (doubt it will), is moving there statistic down a line item or two in the "method" column.

We need to be careful about that - Boquist did lose a son to suicide. It's no that he's lying, he's suffered a tragic loss and is trying to prevent others from the same thing. He has good intentions, but unfortunately the was he's going about it is not only ineffective but diminishes the rights of others. Boquist has acted by emotion and not reason. It would have been better to address the points made in the NRA document. I'd say he is more misguided than anything and clutching at straws to make a difference in order to ease his own conscience. Any parent would feel guilt about a child who commits suicide.

I'd be compassionate and use terms like misguided in terms of the campaign.
Boohoo. I'm not picking on you btw...I'm just saying tough @#$t in general to the senator. When I was a young man we lost a friend to suicide. A lot of what ifs run threw your head. Could I have done more, was I really listening, ect. I was one of the last people he talked to the night before. But the fact is he will always be loved by a lot of people. He had so many freinds. Some people just aren't strong. Some people can't move on from things. He killed himself over his cheating wife. No matter how many times I said there's other fish in the sea I guess it just didn't click.

The senator has had a hard life having to lose a child. I can't imagine the heartbreak. Still...you have to stand tall. A gun isn't the reason he lost someone. A gun isn't the reason we lost our friend. I'm all for helping the ill. But not with a blind eye. The writing in the bill confirms no due process. So his ranting is unnecessary.

Last Edited:
I wonder if the good? senator considered the possibility that the victim may not turn in ALL of their guns and keep one hidden. Then with the additional pressure of the BS from the restraining order do something they may have contemplated but wouldn't have done otherwise?? Wonder how the dumbazz would respond to being informed that his legislation pushed someone over the edge??

I wonder if the good? senator considered the possibility that the victim may not turn in ALL of their guns and keep one hidden. Then with the additional pressure of the BS from the restraining order do something they may have contemplated but wouldn't have done otherwise?? Wonder how the dumbazz would respond to being informed that his legislation pushed someone over the edge??
"Clearly it wasn't enough, we need to ban ALL firearms so there's no way they can get one..."

wow....
empirical evidence that writing your politicians does work.... now before you say we didn't change his mind and the law pa... rammed thru wait a minute. His personal letter reply wasn't to just a handful of "gun nuts" or he wouldn't have bothered. He was obviously flooded with emails and calls in order to warrant such a response.... hes embarrassed, he felt he needed to stand up for himself to fellow gun owners. He clearly never once addressed the issues that were professionally brought up in opposition to this bill, especially that nothing in the bill addresses giving help to the potentially violent person, nor safety to the person living with them making the claim to take away their guns. Nothing in the bill responds to the fact there is no due process, to eliminate the chance someone is seeking revenge.

Instead, he faults his constituents that took the time to write him with these concerns.... and then threatened them with doxxing.

Keep up the email campaign folks. Maybe tell him now he lost his vote forever and why in response to that letter. As always, be polite...

As I understand it, it was his stepson who offed himself. It may bear some investigation into what kind of a father Boquist was. It is possible that their relationship was the catalyst and the bill was to make Lyin' Brian feel better.

Sheldon

"We know it won't prevent anything, but we have to do SOMETHING!"

:rolleyes:

I just love the classic response, "if you're against this law, then you're FOR suicide and hate veterans in crisis", tactic. o_O

Fixed: a STUPID auto-correct "you, your, you're" SNAFU.... fuggin' iOS!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads