JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I travel to Asia regularly, and 110-proof grain is dirt-cheap there, packed in plastic jugs and plain ole NASTY. But it will disinfect wounds, extract essential oils from herbs, burn with a blue flame, and of course act as a general anesthetic and analgesic.

I bring back a 2L jug from China for about six bucks. What the heck - it won't go bad. It could hardly get any nastier than it already is.

Now if I had the cash I might be stockpiling Glenfiddich, since it seems to me that really good single-malt scotch will disappear quick and be basically priceless if/when TSHTF. The only problem is that there will be very few who have the means and the inclination to trade me for it!

The general rule for stockpiling is to collect stuff that you want yourself. That way it's no loss if you can't find anybody to trade you for it.

For my preps I have decided to forgo the Vodkas and everclears as I know many will be making their own clear liquors from anything fermentable after SHTF. Whiskeys of popular brands is best I think. You can still use them for fuel and aniseptic but will of course use them for drinking. JD,Makers,Wild Turkey,Crown ROyal, Seagrams 7 etc.....all known and favs of many people and hard to find in a SHTF scenario.

Although easy to obtain and desirable, booze is pretty far down on my list.
Extra medications, Tylenol and stronger seem much more practical to me.
Imagine how much some antibiotics would be worth!

I'm just scared how fast I'd run out of coffee... :s0131:

I was in Indiana during a bad snow storm. There was a public advisory to keep blankets, energy food and red wine in your car in case you are stranded in your car. The wine surprised me, I was told it would raise your body temp was the reason to carry it. I don't remember for sure, it might have been any wine. That was in '78.

It's surprising how easy it is to make alcohol. $100 dollars at the hardware store and local culinary supply. Stove, or fire top stills are sooooooo simple. Sugar, yeast, and water as a basic mash. My father in-law has been making moonshine for the last year, its actually on par with JD, Maker's, Pendleton. He cuts it with water to bring the proof to 90 and soaks it for a month with oak spiral plugs. It costs about $1.50 per fifth.

I was in Indiana during a bad snow storm. There was a public advisory to keep blankets, energy food and red wine in your car in case you are stranded in your car. The wine surprised me, I was told it would raise your body temp was the reason to carry it. I don't remember for sure, it might have been any wine. That was in '78.

I'm not sure on that. I always heard that it could contribute to accelerated hypothermia. I'm sure you heard it, but in 78 they let mothers drink and smoke when pregnant right?

An answer here:

While alcohol may make us feel hotter, it actually aids in decreasing core body temperature. Normally when we feel cold, it is because blood has flowed from our skin into the organs to keep our core body temperature warm. After alcohol consumption, though, blood flows into the skin, giving us that warm feeling and making our faces flush, but leaving our body temperature to decrease rapidly.

My experience has been that when you drink in a cold environment that the alcohol allows the hot blood to flow back to your extemities and skin which allows the critical body heat to escape more easily. You will FEEL warmer as your face and hands warm up but this is done at the expense of your core temp. In the cold ther is a reason your body holds the blood inside your core. I think drinking the alcohol is a better choice when you are safely back home or to camp with reliable heast sources. Then you can afford to have warm hands and feet and face etc.

One of the important thing about alcohol and it's making will be recognizing when you are close to a still.

Y'all from the south,and some places around here know that moonshiners don't like unexpected company.

I have about 60 bottles of booze behind my bar. Maybe 50 more of various wines. More every year. If the SHTF I would hold them in reserve for trade.

I have books with still designs as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top