JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wear Salewa M-2 Pro's and will never wear any other brand! Mine are over 10 years old and have been worn in the dead of winter for work on the mountains ( Used to drive a Winch Cat Groomer) and have done the northern half of the Pacific crest all in the same boots! They last, they are warm, they have yet to leak, and they have unbeatable traction!
BLA.jpg
They have discontinued this boot, but you can still find them new! Or you can get the new Raven M-2 Pro and basically have the same boot!

I love Thorogood boots....Made in the USA, over in Merrill, Wisconsin. Thorogood - Job-Fitted Boots - Union Made in the USA and buy mine from WORK BOOTS | HUNTING BOOTS | POLICE BOOTS | Composite Toe, Steel Toe and Non-Safety Toe Styles | Veteran Discounts | FREE SHIPPING . Phenomenal customer service! Buy American and keep Americans working.

A good pair of plain leather boots can be made pretty darn water resistant with Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. I treat my boots about 6 times a year (about once a quarter, but more in the winter/rainy months) and I'm only a 1/3 of the way through a container, after 3 years of use. It smells really good too. Heavy Duty Leather Preservative.

Once my boots are dirty and in need of some TLC and more Obenaufs, I clean and condition them with Fiebing's Saddle Soap and then let them dry overnight, then apply an ample coating of Obenauf's and let that set overnight. They literally look brand new after this treatment, even after years of wear and tear. Wish I had a before and after pic, but recently cleaned out my phone. This care technique was taught to me by my uncle who worked as a wildland fire fighter for Alaska State Forestry and depended on his boots. Saddle Soap Paste - Shop for Leather Care Products :: Shop for Shoe Polish :: Fiebing\\\\'s Horse & Leather Care Products

I also tend to believe that having at least two pair of leather boots is beneficial to any leather footwear's longevity. Two pair of boots, rotated, will last longer than 3 pairs of boots that were run to the ground separately. By rotating them, you're allowing the leather to dry properly and relax, as we can sweat about a 1/4 cup of moisture per day into our boots, with heavy use.

Last Edited:
I have two pairs of Danners. I have a summer weight and gortex/waterproof winter pair. Wool socks. My feet have always been warm and dry. Both have lasted me over 9 years so far.

Did you know that Andy & Bax wants like $150 for their steel toe replica-surplus boots!
They should be called steal-toe at that price!

Anyway, I've always worn surplus and they last for years if you keep them polished.
Not experience hunting, just spending countless hours in the woods hiking in all weather conditions.

I wear Salewa M-2 Pro's and will never wear any other brand! Mine are over 10 years old and have been worn in the dead of winter for work on the mountains ( Used to drive a Winch Cat Groomer) and have done the northern half of the Pacific crest all in the same boots! They last, they are warm, they have yet to leak, and they have

Never seen those before, they look pretty schweet!

I think I got Sasquach feet or something, I can never find anything that fits. I do have a fine pair of Lowas though that are fantastic, except they are a tad narrow in the toe so my little piggies are a tad sore after a days wearing them, might need to be broken in more.o_O

I think I got Sasquach feet or something, I can never find anything that fits. I do have a fine pair of Lowas though that are fantastic, except they are a tad narrow in the toe so my little piggies are a tad sore after a days wearing them, might need to be broken in more.o_O

I have the same issue with skinny footwear. Keen makes a nice wide toe shoe. The carhart boots I have also have room in the toe area.

I can't buy shoes unless they feel good to start with - leather can be a bit stiff or a hair tight to start since they stretch and shape, but it has to feel good out of the gate.

I'd visit a carhart store and check out the leather boots. I just looked and they have a lot more then when I bought mine - I assume the quality is still as good, they are a fairly well known work gear company so I can't see them selling sub par boots.

Almost all are <$200.

i usually trust goretex to be waterproof for 1 good hunting season. the constant movement and bending of the boot wears it out. boots are still good but at the point that the waterproofing is no longer, i will wear sealskinz socks to keep my feet dry. spendy but a fraction of the cost of new good boots. only problem i have with the socks is yes theyre waterproof on the outside but also are on the inside too. to mitigate the "swampy" feeling on my toes when my feet sweat i wear a pair of regular socks under them at times.

i usually trust goretex to be waterproof for 1 good hunting season. the constant movement and bending of the boot wears it out. boots are still good but at the point that the waterproofing is no longer, i will wear sealskinz socks to keep my feet dry. spendy but a fraction of the cost of new good boots. only problem i have with the socks is yes theyre waterproof on the outside but also are on the inside too. to mitigate the "swampy" feeling on my toes when my feet sweat i wear a pair of regular socks under them at times.

If you hunt on the west side especially the coast range the blackberry vines are probably the culprit. I have nylon goretex boots that last years of hiking and stay waterproof.... But i will not use them west of the cascades.

I hate those vines, they run along the ground and trip you up and their tiny thorns poke thru the nylon and gortext layer. Lost 2 pair figuring this out, warned a buddy and he lost a pair of expensive goretext boots this way.

Been my experience too, the constant flexing in the toe area is where they always leak first, and I've tried a lot of different brands with the same result. I've been surprised to hear some people like @Ura-Ki say their's are still waterproof after years and years of use. I haven't tried that brand he recommended, maybe they are that much better.

If you hunt on the west side especially the coast range the blackberry vines are probably the culprit. I have nylon goretex boots that last years of hiking and stay waterproof.... But i will not use them west of the cascades.

I hate those vines, they run along the ground and trip you up and their tiny thorns poke thru the nylon and gortext layer. Lost 2 pair figuring this out, warned a buddy and he lost a pair of expensive goretext boots this way.

Good point on the vines, wish I had a dollar for every time one of those snagged me while I'm stumbling along with a bunch of meat strapped to my azz! That's why I like all leather boots.

I'd just like to add that my work boots always leak after a year too, right where they flex, and those never touch berry vines... but I do walk on sharp rock all day, been doing railroad construction for the last 12 years.

Last Edited:
The thing about SALEWA boots is they are a Hybrid in their construction, they use a serious leather where needed, and a composite elsewhere, so they can flex as needed and not leak!
I will say this, these boots are vary stiff, and on the M2's and the Pro Verticals, you can adjust them even stiffer! So your not getting any where near the flex of more conventional boot! Check out the Mountain Shop in Portland, they might still have some, or they will have the Vultures, basically the same boot with out the adjustments! There serious hard core!:)

The thing about SALEWA boots is they are a Hybrid in their construction, they use a serious leather where needed, and a composite elsewhere, so they can flex as needed and not leak!
I will say this, these boots are vary stiff, and on the M2's and the Pro Verticals, you can adjust them even stiffer! So your not getting any where near the flex of more conventional boot! Check out the Mountain Shop in Portland, they might still have some, or they will have the Vultures, basically the same boot with out the adjustments! There serious hard core!:)
You definitely seem like a guy that puts boots through the ringer :)

Danner - Grouse 8" Brown

View attachment 509191

Or the Canadian if you want insulated. Either one is very comfortable and stout. Not heavy to me (but I wear 8" steel toes all day every day)

Both are gore-tex
That is the exact model of boot I wear. I wear mine all year round so they are definitely broke in but not broken. I normally have a pair of danners for about ten years. To me they are not expensive considering the use I get out of them.

You definitely seem like a guy that puts boots through the ringer :)

Understatement of the day... in another thread he talked about how he'll carry almost 130 pounds over a "rapid 20 miles"

:eek:

Come to think of it... I'm only 160 so I should hire him to just carry me around while I'm hunting... should be good for a "slow 20 miles" with that weight!

Hmmm... could just wear some slippers then!

Last Edited:
Go do what I did for a Living for 20 years and then tell me it isn't possable! :)
Then go work on the mountains at the ski resorts and have to hike up hill 2000 feet to set a winch anchor, dragging that cable with you in snow! Don't be so quick to judge!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top