JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Read (listened) through all of 299 days and it's amazing, except for the silly advertisements. :) The scary thing was how much he got right! If you live around here, you understand.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I know I've had "Lights Out" on the top of my list for a long time and am super eager to read it. Brushfire Plague sounds awesome too, and I'm adding that to the top of my list. :) Same with "Once Proud Nation."

I love the idea of everyone writing their collapse books in a specific area. That's why I loved "Lucifer's Hammer" so much. I wish every collapse book was written so incredibly region-specific and detailed.

Glory Road and Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
The Conan series by Robert E. Howard ... Much better than the movies
For you historical types Shots fired in Anger , by LT. COL. John George
And not to offend the Stephen Ambrose fans , but read The Journals of Lewis and Clark ... by Lewis and Clark.
No need to get a 20th century spin on what they said or did....
Andy

+1 on the Howard Conan books. The later Decamp books were also pretty well performed in Robert E's style.
On the fiction front Stephan R Donaldson's Gap Series is a Sci Fi masterpiece, world's above his more popular Thomas Covenant books. And the Moorcock Elric books are great pure fantasy entertainment that should have been movie fodder years ago. Former State Rep David Edwards' Nightscape books are also fantastic!
These days though I read more biographies and history books a close second, fiction isn't a priority as much. I thoroughly enjoyed "Veeck as in Wreck" and the Mick Foley autobiography recently. Both have a ton of lol moments.

I just got done reading two books by Peter Clines 14 and Folds

If you like a sci fi / mystery / horror series this one is just starting up and proves to be promising.

http://www.amazon.com/14-Peter-Clines/dp/1618680528

if you take the plunge, start with 14
I've been listening to this all day on Audible. Kind of slow in the beginning, but getting really interesting now (underground)

Thanks for the heads up.

Riddle of the Rhine
I forget who by, a British Field Marshal of The Great War.
He explains how the German Empire employed the use of chemical weapons so effectively and why the allies struggled to counter with their own deployment of chemical weapons. He also explains how significant the dye industry has an impact on the production of chemical weapons. Mostly, he is trying to plea with soldiers, politicians, and the people to encourage military readiness for the next potential war, which is really not why one should read it today anyway. The book was written in 1927, and is extremely enlightening.

David McCullough's
JOHN ADAMS
Also an excellent mini series! Really brings to life our 2nd President's highs and lows. Yes he messed up sometimes!
Puts you in the thick of the struggles of the forging of this Nation.

My god how far we have strayed from the founding Father's original plans for Governments size and scope!:(
I'll second that
He's an awesome author.

I also don't care that Stephen Ambrose plagerizes all of his works, at least he promotes awareness of the writings and history in general. LoL

Glory Road and Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
The Conan series by Robert E. Howard ... Much better than the movies
For you historical types Shots fired in Anger , by LT. COL. John George
And not to offend the Stephen Ambrose fans , but read The Journals of Lewis and Clark ... by Lewis and Clark.
No need to get a 20th century spin on what they said or did....
Andy
I'll read them in paper, just like I'll read Jeffersons journals in paper. LoL
Totally worth it tho, I agree.

Judging from people's general lack of objectivity, I would say to read anything that goes AGAINST ones general programming; something that truly challenges ones cognitive dissonance.

Having said that, I would recommend "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do" by Peter McWilliams.

Judging from people's general lack of objectivity, I would say to read anything that goes AGAINST ones general programming; something that truly challenges ones cognitive dissonance.

Having said that, I would recommend "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do" by Peter McWilliams.
reply to my own quote;

Been a while....what are you all reading of late?

As for this book, the author is pretty spot on about everything until he comes up to the 2nd Amendment, where, for some crazy reason, he does a complete 180 and trashes it.
I just couldn't understand how he could be so spot on about the rest of the Constitution, and yet still feel the way he did about the 2A..

When I first found the book, I was so enraged at this that I put it down and didn't finish reading it until a few years later. I was just as angry at the guy the second time. But everything else he argues about seemed pretty valid. I just could not get into the mind set that would flip flop the way he did in the book. You have to read it to see.

For you fans of maritime lore, the 20 book Master and Commander series by Patrick O'brien is as good as it gets for Naval warfare back in the days of sail.

I'm in the "three body problem" series right now. If you like sci Fi it's pretty good. Told from the Chinese perspective

Wheels for the World
history of the Ford Motor Company, like travelling back in time.
Fascinating look at the industrial revolution, petroleum industry, finance, railroads and so much more.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top