JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I feel like there is a diverse background of members here at NWF, and through interactions I've learned quite a bit. I feel like between us we all probably have read quite a few good books.

Anyone want to share good recommendations? Maybe keep the thread alive as you finish a good book and want to share?

I completed all 10 books in the "299 Days" series a couple of weeks ago. They were a great read (listen - audiobooks), and are basically one very large book. The chapters continue in order from one book to the next to the last.

I'll admit I was hesitant at first, I was worried it would be bogged down with political ideology, it has its share but it's logical and it doesn't smother the story. It's surprisingly well written and thought out. I'm really enjoying it. It makes you think a lot about how things really might happen in a SHTF scenario WITHOUT zombies for once. (I love me some zombies, but how many zombie SHTF books can one read)

They have it on tape too!
Oh, on tape you say?! I think I have something to listen to in between appointments! :)

I have read the first and second ones, Pretty sure that is all that has been released. I have read a lot of the TEOTWAWKI books, Lights out, One second after, All of Rawles books and others I cant think of right now. Out of all of them I think Brushfire Plague one and two stand out as some of the best written. Rawles books are really pretty awful as far as his ability to develop characters and really make you believe it. You deal with it because he knows the technical stuff and trys to teach you something.

I would most defiantly recommend them, its a good story told well.

I read a lot, Usually several hours ever night. Good books, bad books, educational books ( I got on a kick for a while and read every book on finance and banking I could find, really pretty interesting)

Lots of good books out there but don't know what to suggest that fits everyone reading flavor:D
Leon Uris wrote many good books, Exodus as to how the Jews started over in Israel after the war.
Mila 18 about how the people of Poland fought back as the Germans slaughtered them.
I liked all three Hunger Games books
The Adventures by Harold Robins was fascinating . Harold Robbins books have been made into movies and he was a great writer.

Is there a certain type of books ya'll are looking to read?

Elmer Keith had a good book called Hell I was There.

Jeff Cooper wrote some good books but I liked To Ride Shoot Straight And Tell the Truth. Covers alot about shooting,life and good war stories.

Liked " survival guns" by Mel Tappen

Lots of good westerns out there, Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty, he wrote several more good books

David McCullough's
JOHN ADAMS
Also an excellent mini series! Really brings to life our 2nd President's highs and lows. Yes he messed up sometimes!
Puts you in the thick of the struggles of the forging of this Nation.

My god how far we have strayed from the founding Father's original plans for Governments size and scope!:(

David McCullough's
JOHN ADAMS
Also an excellent mini series! Really brings to life our 2nd President's highs and lows. Yes he messed up sometimes!
Puts you in the thick of the struggles of the forging of this Nation.

My god how far we have strayed from the founding Father's original plans for Governments size and scope!:(

I haven't read the book, but the mini series was awesome, highly recommended!

One of my favorites is Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

Edited to add:
Reading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis right now. (Very thought provoking actually)

Last Edited:
Some favorite books of mine:

· Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama
· The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
· Change we can Believe in by Barack Obama
· An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore
· Common Sense Government by Al Gore
· My Life by Bill Clinton
· It Takes a Village by Hillary Clinton
· Hard Choices by Hillary Clinton
· Know your Power by Nancy Pelosi

They all burn really well and will keep you warm on a cold winter's night while you spend your time with a book actually worth reading.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads