JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In another thread someone mentioned Jim Cirillo. I have not, to the best of my recollection, ever read any of his books. But it did get me thinking of this: any books you really enjoyed that were right by folks who survived handgun (and similar short-ish ranged weapons) fights? Any you didn't care for? Thanks for sharing.

The Life of John Wesley Hardin....By "Wes" Hardin
And
Life of Tom Horn...by Tom Horn
( Granted not a "classic gunfighter"...but still a worthy read )

Both are good reads...With that said....
Both are also written with a purpose and in a certain light...since the authors were also the subject matter of the books.
Andy

Edit to add a title that touches on this subject :
Three Years With Quantrill...John McCorkle / written by O.S. Barton

Last Edited:
The Life of John Wesley Hardin....By "Wes" Hardin
And
Life of Tom Horn...by Tom Horn
( Granted not a "classic gunfighter"...but still a worthy read )

Both are good reads...With that said....
Both are also written with a purpose and in a certain light...since the authors were also the subject matter of the books.
Andy

Edit to add a title that touches on this subject :
Three Years With Quantrill...John McCorkle / written by O.S. Barton
I second the motion for Tom Horn's autobiography, composed while jailed for murder. Will Henry did a "pseudo-biography" (more of a novel) about Horn's life ("I, Tom Horn") and it reads good, ie: (describing a confrontation with Apaches, the last one in the group riding fast away),

"It was an out-house shot of the purest sort, but I took it."

Based on (perhaps even more unnerving) actual quotes from Tom Horn, that one sounds exactly like something he might have said.

Dean Krakel did a Horn biography in the '50's that stands up pretty well, despite its being revised later, due to Krakel receiving death threats from the families involved (tempers still ran high, 47 years later).

...and they still do. Currently, Chip Carlson is a significant authority on Tom Horn, having written three books and multiple articles on the subject. Even he described the lingering tension in that part of Wyoming when he investigated. Chip passed away a short time ago, probably with more information than he ever published or shared with me.

Tom Horn may not be defined as a "classic gunfighter". He was the Prototype Gunfighter.

Last Edited:
I have Chip Carlson's Tom Horn Killing men is my Specialty ...which is a good read for sure.
I think that Tom Horn was not guilty of the crime of murder...but I am careful of saying that when I am in certain parts of Wyoming.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top