Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Book: Unintended Consequences by John Ross (Your Take: good or bad, or otherwise)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Spitpatch, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Howdy,

I read this book probably 5 years ago (borrowed from a friend). I was wondering if others who have read it thought well of it, thought it was trash, found some parts good, other parts not-so-good, etc.

What prompted me to initiate this thread, was that I looked for it on Amazon (because I'd like to have a copy), and found much there very startling: no copy can be had for less than $100, (for a book from an obscure author that sold for $28.95 new), and recent efforts to republish (softcover) are hesitant or perhaps purposefully repressed. Over 400 reviews. 11 unfavorable.

These discoveries mesh with my own feelings about the book: although I found much to be disliked, since reading it, I cannot get portions of it out of my head. One reviewer rates it as "life-changing". I may not go that far, but it is a deeply affecting book, even with (what seem to me) obvious flaws, and truthfully some amateurish journalism.

Brief plot scenario (from memory): Rich kid becomes interested in guns, exploration of the history (and deterioration) of gun rights in America, Rich kid (equipped with his weapon knowledge and other skills of friends) starts an embryonic revolution against the Federal Government that mushrooms into potential turnover.

Readers? Curious prospective readers?

2. Mechaneck

Mechaneck NW Oregon New Member

I just read the book earlier this year and enjoyed it. I think the principles of the book could be applied to the erosion of many freedoms not just firearms.

I found it to be entertaining "Historical Fiction" and made notes of many events that I want to investigate the validity of. At times the events are a little hard to believe and the writing could be better but I'm glad I read it and have recommended it to others with similar perspectives.

I too found the book quite expensive to purchase but did find this pdf download

Keith

3. bassman2

bassman2 SW WA Active Member

A must read - yet I hesitate to post in this thread due to the contents of the book!

4. Spitpatch

OOOOH!

So, bassman, do you refer to the somewhat wide-ranging eroticism (some of which I found rather sophmoric), or the "helpful household hints to turn your old Winchester .22 into a machine gun" (which, I cannot say by any personal experience may well be valid)?

5. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

It's a poorly written fantasy where the author channels what he wished he was into the main character. 800+ pages of middle school vocabulary, poor editing, and the same phrasing and literary devices over and over again.

Its sole saving grace is that the book retains value, I sold my copy for the same price I paid to obtain it ($80).

6. Spitpatch

Bingo, dman.

But I still can't forget portions of it (and some basic truths well-presented despite a hampered writing skill). I also found his view of women (at least as represented there) to be somewhat pitiable.

And you restate my startledness on Amazon tonight: Why does this book bring these prices?? Why hasn't it been republished if the rate of existing copies is so astronomical?

It simply cannot be fueled by narcisstic dweebs imagining themselves as the central figure with ulimited financial resources in a government takeover fueled by gun rights oppression. The book must somehow (as it did me, despite its failings) touch a core. I admire your immunity to it.

7. dmancornell

I found the eroticism rather amusing, it read like the sexual fantasies of a high school misogynist. It was also totally unnecessary and I have no idea why it was included. The dramatization of real life events were the highlights of an otherwise totally mediocre book.

My suggestion to curious readers, if you want to read a violent fantasy against government goons, go read "Molon Labe" by one "Boston T. Party". It's cheaper and funnier.

8. Spitpatch

Oh, I found eroticism in the book to be entirely necessary....but not the ertoicism that was provided. Rather frustrating and unexperienced. I was embarrassed for my own gender.

Does "Molon Labe" tell you how to turn an old Winchester .22 into a machine gun? (Not that I would ever try it, or try to validate what I read in a sophmoric novel about government takeover, dontcha know).

9. dmancornell

I suspect it hasn't been republished because no publisher would pick it up. A second run would brick the market.

As for the ratings and the rave reviews, I have absolutely no clue. I just hope it's not that the "gun community" is not smart enough to tell the book sucks. Ant-gun freaks love using that stereotype.

10. dmancornell

Nah, I like "Molon Labe" for its strident anti-government extremism and libertarian monologues, that stuff is right up my alley. I also find Boston T. Party's casual bashing of the 5.56x45 caliber to be quite amusing.

11. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I bought the book about 15 years ago and have read it 2 or 3 times.
    It does tend to drag on a wee bit at times.
    I think it is a great read.
    What an ending!!!

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  12. PMB

PMB Vancouver, Washington Active Member

The book "Unintended Consequences" did suffer in writing skill, but the message and intent of the book was spot on, in my opinion.
    The historical accounts of how our rights have been trampled on were very important to me, although I could have done without the fantasy aspects of the book.

We can distill the book down to the message "Freedom is lost by giving up rights in small steps" or "those who give up freedom for security will have neither".

Some of the author's allegories were really good- and I recommend the book despite the unnecessary length and junior college level writing.

Brothers, we really are in danger and we should be looking for any way to wake up our sleeping friends to the danger. The entrapment and unnecessary raids based on laws that make no common sense, or are written for the purpose of seizing a free person's property should ALL be repealed.
    The book is asking us "How many of your fellow citizens must be taken down before we all stand up?"

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.