JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I mostly (based on the Prima Facie) lost a recent bet with another member...

Is there a published legal opinion about the CHL exemption for open carry in Portland? I've searched a bit, and while there are several opinions on both sides; none that I've found come from what I would call 'recognized authority' such as the OrAttGen, PPD (Portland Possum Delivery to those of us old enough to know), etc.

Many thanks

So I mostly (based on the Prima Facie) lost a recent bet with another member...

Is there a published legal opinion about the CHL exemption for open carry in Portland? I've searched a bit, and while there are several opinions on both sides; none that I've found come from what I would call 'recognized authority' such as the OrAttGen, PPD (Portland Possum Delivery to those of us old enough to know), etc.

Many thanks

<broken link removed>

ORS 166.173 - Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places - 2009 Oregon Revised Statutes

Pay attention to the word LOADED.
Unloaded isn't an issue, however carrying it in one's hand may be misconstrued.

Yeah... I've read both of those, and the second is specifically why I paid off on the bet:cool:

What I'm looking for is a document signed by a person of authority acknowledging the same. Or a retrievable and quotable public statement similar.

I don't doubt the law, I just doubt the lawmakers.

Thanks,

Ron

Portland's been run by gun-grabbers for quite some time.
If that question were asked they would dodge it. Also, the police rarely know the law enough to assure you & they often spread misinformation to deter people from practicing their rights...

However as for anecdotal evidence, at a recent "gun-grab" (buy-back sponsored by Ceasefire Oregon) I was there buying guns FTF with a big sign offering to out-bid the city & there was another pro-2a group from Ashland area who were open-carrying on thigh holsters...
Tons of police & Sam Adams himself were all present & saw the group & nobody even commented on them or even asked to see their CHLs.

On a side note, the police were laughing at the fact that we were buying guns. Not too concerned at all.
Police tend to be pro-gun & not too many criminals would be balzy enough to OC in front of the mayor & half the North Precinct.
We got some decent finds for good prices. :)

But yeah, state law superceedes city ordinance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top