Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Book and Verse for Open Carry in Portland?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by BoringCruffler, Nov 26, 2011.

1. BoringCruffler

BoringCruffler Boring, OR Member 2016 Volunteer

So I mostly (based on the Prima Facie) lost a recent bet with another member...

Is there a published legal opinion about the CHL exemption for open carry in Portland? I've searched a bit, and while there are several opinions on both sides; none that I've found come from what I would call 'recognized authority' such as the OrAttGen, PPD (Portland Possum Delivery to those of us old enough to know), etc.

Many thanks

2. Pauly

Pauly N. Portland Active Member

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Oregon

ORS 166.173 - Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places - 2009 Oregon Revised Statutes

Pay attention to the word LOADED.
    Unloaded isn't an issue, however carrying it in one's hand may be misconstrued.

3. BoringCruffler

BoringCruffler Boring, OR Member 2016 Volunteer

Yeah... I've read both of those, and the second is specifically why I paid off on the bet:cool:

What I'm looking for is a document signed by a person of authority acknowledging the same. Or a retrievable and quotable public statement similar.

I don't doubt the law, I just doubt the lawmakers.

Thanks,

Ron

4. Pauly

Pauly N. Portland Active Member

Portland's been run by gun-grabbers for quite some time.
    If that question were asked they would dodge it. Also, the police rarely know the law enough to assure you & they often spread misinformation to deter people from practicing their rights...

However as for anecdotal evidence, at a recent "gun-grab" (buy-back sponsored by Ceasefire Oregon) I was there buying guns FTF with a big sign offering to out-bid the city & there was another pro-2a group from Ashland area who were open-carrying on thigh holsters...
    Tons of police & Sam Adams himself were all present & saw the group & nobody even commented on them or even asked to see their CHLs.

On a side note, the police were laughing at the fact that we were buying guns. Not too concerned at all.
    Police tend to be pro-gun & not too many criminals would be balzy enough to OC in front of the mayor & half the North Precinct.
    We got some decent finds for good prices. :)

But yeah, state law superceedes city ordinance.

5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member