JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/28/the-very-unusual-thing-one-man-found-on-an-oregon-trail-that-has-cops-baffled/

The 'Very Unusual' Thing One Man Found on an Oregon Trail That Has Cops Concerned
Mike Colbach and his wife, Jennifer went for their regular hike in Forest Park in northwest Portland, Oregon, Oct. 16 when they saw something mysterious.

Oregon-Forest-Park-620x265.jpg An aerial view of Forest Park in northwest Portland, Oregon, where Mike and Jennifer Colbach discovered a trip wire during their regular hike (Image source: Google Maps)

When the couple approached the trail with their dog, Rhoda, Jennifer noticed part of a parachute cord stretched across the path. As they continued along the trail, they saw two men who "were definitely not hikers."
"They stuck out like a sore thumb," Mike said.
While both Mike and Jennifer stepped over the mysterious cord, their dog Rhoda stepped on it. That's when Jennifer saw something move in the forest.
The two continued on their way home but Mike decided to return and check it out the following Saturday. He found that the parachute cord was attached to a pipe that was open on one end but closed on the other. There was a firing pin on the closed end that happened to be in the direct path of a beer bottle. When the cord was tripped, the bottle would swing down and hit the firing pin, triggering a gun shot.
Mike called one of his friends who works for the Metropolitan Explosives Disposal Unit. The bomb squad concluded the contraption was a loaded improvised firearm attached to a tripwire that failed to go off when the dog stepped on it because of a malfunction with the gun.

Portland police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson said it's "very unusual" to find something like this.
"These kind of devices are more likely to be found in a rural area where someone is trying to protect something," he said.
While no other devices have been found in the area, Mike won't be visiting Forest Park anytime soon: "I don't want to trip the next one," Mike said.
The Portland Police Bureau Gun Task Force is investigating the matter. Crime Stoppers of Oregon is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for any information that could lead to an arrest.
Watch this video to see the exact spot where the suspicious device was set up:
(H/T: Oregonian)

I saw this on the news. Definitely a sicko that would do something like this. I hope they catch them before they get a working one in place and injure or kill someone.

I'd put my money on some homeless dbag or street kid.

But could be any nut job.

Maybe home grown terror?
This is pretty scary because it's such an easy trap and with all the hiking/outdoor rec areas someone could set hundreds if not thousands of these around and it could be weeks or months before they start going off.

I hope they catch them fast.

It is things like this that "Shoot on Sight" Orders should be in place. I have many friends that run and walk in that area. Makes a person want to sit out there with a rifle keeping an eye on the trails.........
I wonder if the Police will even put any extra patrols there. Most likely not.

Be kind of fun for those of us who have large, terrifying dogs to get on line and sweep areas of Forrest Park!
"OK, Lilly, you can eat anything that you kill!"
"Alright, you too, Taku!:D

Seriously, the police need to take an aggressive line with these forrest terrorists! It just seems a matter of time until someone is maimed or killed!

Taku
Surely, you jest . . . Unless bicyclists use it!!

sheldon

Do you have kids and grandkids using those trails.???
No I do not jest. Its a serious matter when there are mentally deranged defects doing things like that anywhere. Portland most likely wont do squat, except use the fear factor to push some new tax levy.
Its their speed at city hall.

Be kind of fun for those of us who have large, terrifying dogs to get on line and sweep areas of Forrest Park!
"OK, Lilly, you can eat anything that you kill!"
"Alright, you too, Taku!:D

Seriously, the police need to take an aggressive line with these forrest terrorists! It just seems a matter of time until someone is maimed or killed!

The copycats seem to ooze on these things also.
:/\/\

Taku
I didn't think I would have to explain it to YOU of all people . . .
Police will be assigned only if it is to protect Portland's chosen class . . . Bicyclists.

Sheldon

This whole thing is Scary!

There was a guy down here who was stringing wire across Mt. bike trails...........because he hated Mt. Bikers.........Older guy around 60.

The wackos seem to be coming out of the shadows more often lately.

I'm carrying more often lately.....................

Taku
I didn't think I would have to explain it to YOU of all people . . .
Police will be assigned only if it is to protect Portland's chosen class . . . Bicyclists.

Sheldon

No I understood that well. I just refrained LOL
It is like the rewards they offer for crimes in Portland. Any citizen dies by crime and
the reward is usually 1,000, and public servant dies by crime and the reward is 25,000
It is typical and shows exactly what importance they place on citizens vs their own circle.
Your analogy is pretty close to the same. :)

This whole thing is Scary!

There was a guy down here who was stringing wire across Mt. bike trails...........because he hated Mt. Bikers.........Older guy around 60.

The wackos seem to be coming out of the shadows more often lately.

I'm carrying more often lately.....................

I recommend anyone that goes into any of the bigger parks in Portland carries. It is naïve and dumb not to.
Those big wooded parks on the West side especially. Every kind of pervert, and deviant and criminal you can imagine inhabits them.
Runners should go in groups of 3 or more when possible and be observant for anyone doing anything even slightly out of place out there.
Wire, wire cutters, knife out, carrying unusual objects and then watch them. If anyone is caught doing some kind of booby-trapping, well use your imagination in dealing with it. Take pics of unusual behavior.
People that do that do not want to be seen or recognized. Behavior is usually a good giveaway of planned misdeeds. If they seem nervous about being looked at or watched for a bit, then that is the first indicator they may be hiding something they are doing.

I maintain a couple of medical buildings that are near the crossroads of SW Terwilliger & Sam Jackson Park rd, right below OHSU and the transient bums that infest the woods around there are very aggressive in their territorial boundaries.
When I go up the hillside above the properties to evict them from their lean to shacks and tent camps, I outside carry my Glock so I don't have to listen to their BS excuses, and they have a lot of them.
They see the pistol on my hip and just pack up and move out.
The last shack was so well built, I had to run an electric cord and use my sawzall and a come-along to pull it down.

Last Edited:
Yeah i think there's even more street kids and homeless moving in if you can imagine that. Anywhere there is a patch of woods there is a homeless camp. We had one behind our building in clackamas and in tualatin. In nice areas.
It's thise people who refuse to live by society's rules and want to establish their own lawless existence will set up camps where they please and then rule by guerrilla tactics.
And with the liberal halfwits in portland singing their praises and defending them with they get shot or tazed by the cops they will only continue to grow and thrive.
And become more violent. Pretty soon we'll need to enlist snake plissken send him in to save the tree huggers

Let's strap on the kevlar and ar's. We got a woodsman protection militia to kick into gear!

LOL might be a little over kill but people need to watch the areas very closely and record anything odd. A couple hundred trail cams might get em. Better than the xxxxx gov putting up cams.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top