JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am really liking the short 60 degree bolt throws on my hobby rifles (steel-hitters).
My hunting rifles are all 90 degree throws. Do I need a short throw hunting rifle?
What's your preference or recommendation?
90, 75, 60 or 54 degrees

I don't remember the degree but the Browning BBR in 30-06 was THE sweetest
Bolt action. Open it and tilt the gun and it would free slide easy to the back,
Using it rapid was just as smooth. A little heavy, and re-barreling was problematic.
Nice thread question!!!

Edit: 60 degree bolt throw I looked it up. Again nicest bolt movement I have ever had.
This was about the 1980s model with a chiseled fore end cap, about 7/8ths" dia. Bolt
fluted. I would buy another if I found a good example, esp. in 25-06.

Last Edited:
I would say as long as the bolt handle isn't straight up/down at any point, I'm pretty happy. Being a lefty, it matters a whole lot. I couldn't tell you what degree most of my rifles are but I'd go out on a limb to say they're all 90°

I never really thought about it. The majority of my rifles are M70s and M700s, both have 90 deg. I do believe it has influenced my preferences in scopes because I like mine mounted as low as possibe. Scopes with large rear lenses and magnification rings would interfere with the bolt when mounted low, so they were a no-go.

Almost all my rifles have a 90 degree throw. I've never once thought it needed to be less on any of them.

I have one varmint rifle with a 60 degree throw with three lugs, and it is harder to run the bolt because of a steeper cocking ramp. I can run the bolt faster, but it ends up moving the rifle around more, so slower to get back on target.

As a result I don't have a preference.

60-70* is just about right in my book.

My Rugers have 70
The Remingtons have 60

Somewhere in there is my actual sweet spot so I find them both easy to use.

Whatever the throw on a 1903 Springfield is. Pretty sure if it isn't 90*, it's close.

Although the zero degree bolt throw on the straight pull K31 was intriguing...

My AR15 has a different sort of bolt throw!

Just kidding.

I don't seem to notice the throw. Shot mosin nagants way too much early on. Anything south of 90 degrees is a blessing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top