JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am really liking the short 60 degree bolt throws on my hobby rifles (steel-hitters).
My hunting rifles are all 90 degree throws. Do I need a short throw hunting rifle?
What's your preference or recommendation?
90, 75, 60 or 54 degrees

I don't remember the degree but the Browning BBR in 30-06 was THE sweetest
Bolt action. Open it and tilt the gun and it would free slide easy to the back,
Using it rapid was just as smooth. A little heavy, and re-barreling was problematic.
Nice thread question!!!

Edit: 60 degree bolt throw I looked it up. Again nicest bolt movement I have ever had.
This was about the 1980s model with a chiseled fore end cap, about 7/8ths" dia. Bolt
fluted. I would buy another if I found a good example, esp. in 25-06.

Last Edited:
I would say as long as the bolt handle isn't straight up/down at any point, I'm pretty happy. Being a lefty, it matters a whole lot. I couldn't tell you what degree most of my rifles are but I'd go out on a limb to say they're all 90°

I never really thought about it. The majority of my rifles are M70s and M700s, both have 90 deg. I do believe it has influenced my preferences in scopes because I like mine mounted as low as possibe. Scopes with large rear lenses and magnification rings would interfere with the bolt when mounted low, so they were a no-go.

Almost all my rifles have a 90 degree throw. I've never once thought it needed to be less on any of them.

I have one varmint rifle with a 60 degree throw with three lugs, and it is harder to run the bolt because of a steeper cocking ramp. I can run the bolt faster, but it ends up moving the rifle around more, so slower to get back on target.

As a result I don't have a preference.

60-70* is just about right in my book.

My Rugers have 70
The Remingtons have 60

Somewhere in there is my actual sweet spot so I find them both easy to use.

Whatever the throw on a 1903 Springfield is. Pretty sure if it isn't 90*, it's close.

Although the zero degree bolt throw on the straight pull K31 was intriguing...

My AR15 has a different sort of bolt throw!

Just kidding.

I don't seem to notice the throw. Shot mosin nagants way too much early on. Anything south of 90 degrees is a blessing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top