JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That looks like a case that's experienced excessive pressure which would cause it to wedge the bolt such that it's hard to open. The primer pocket looks over-sized (did the primer fall out when you opened the bolt?), the extractor cannelure looks a little smashed, and the ridge just in front of it looks like the case head has been expanded. You said customized 1917...are you SURE it's still .30-06? Do you have a set of calipers that you could measure the case with and compare to an unfired case? The fact that you couldn't hit a barn with it may be telling you something more than you need practice. Is the bore clear? Any bulges on the barrel? Looking down the bore do you see any dark rings? Did the previous cartridge seem normal or could it have been a squib and left a bore obstruction? Something created a potentially dangerous condition and you need to find the cause. And, of course, even with factory ammo, there's always the possibility of a defective round.

I'd be very interested in hearing what your gunsmith exam reveals.

Yes the primmer did fall out when I opened the bolt. I have it.
No I have not measured to check if it is still a 30-06. I will have the smith check it for me.
The bore looked very good before I used it today. I haven't cleaned it yet
The cheap scope and my lack of practice kept me from hitting the target. I also wasnt planing on adjusting the scope then/today. I was just checking it out.
I will look again closer tomorrow to see if there are any bulges or dark rings.
All of the other cartridges looked normal after fired.

Thanks Ownerus

Could be, but it could be something else too like excessive chamber length or something. Do you have go-no goes? I'd have it checked out because you don't need it doing that some day when you're counting on it to work.

That's what I'm guessing after seeing the pictures. When some of those old rifles got "Sporterized" they probably never got checked for proper headspace.

Excessive chamber length is unlikely to cause this effect. A little of that will usually be unnoticed on the first firing with new brass because the shoulder will fire form forward and the case will stretch a bit. A lot of excess head space can lead to the case stretching until it separates which is bad too, just different than this.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top