JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know how to free up a jammed bolt in the closed position?

I had purchased a Sporterized 1917 Winchester 30-06 a while back. Today was the first chance I had to test it out. I used factory ammo and everything was fine for the first 19 rounds. (except I couldn't hit a barn with it. Practice, who needs practice? ME!!!!)
Any ways, I loaded the last (5) cartridges into the old beast and continued to miss the target down range. I fired #20 down range and then attempted to pull back on the bolt to extract the spent casing but nothing happened. It was jammed solid. In the closed position. I and 2 other guys tried to pull back on the bolt with no luck, its stuck.

I will take it to the gunsmith but would like to see if I can unjam it. Learn something before I just take it in?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Howard

Can you lift the bolt handle? Lifting the handle SHOULD cam the fired cartridge back just a bit. Whack the handle a couple of times with a rubber mallet. Still won't go? Drop a 1/4" diameter steel rod down the bore so it goes into the case mouth of the fired cartridge. Take a wrap or 2 of electrical tape around it where it will contact the rifling at the muzzle and a couple of places along it's length.

Stand the gun up on it's butt. Put your foot on the bolt handle like you are trying to push it open. Whack the steel rod with a real hammer. Talk nice to it. If that doesn't
work curse.

So I have to ask the dumb question. Is the safety on? I'm not 100% familiar with 1917's, but on a 03 Springfield if the safety is on the bolt won't open. Shouldn't be possible with the striker in the down/fired position, but you did say it had been "sporterized"---and sometimes things get changed a bit from the original configuration. I just went out and tried it on one of my 03's. With the safety applied the bolt handle will wiggle but it won't lift.

Nope, the bolt still want budge with the safety in any position. The bolt will not wiggle a millimeter.

I will give you all a heads up when I get it back from the smith. I will drop it off there later this week.

I think the first thing your smith will try is the heat/freeze thing. You heat the action with a heat gun and freeze the bolt. That increases the clearance and is the first quick and easy thing to try. To freeze the bolt, you use a can of Freeze Spray, or if not available then just a can of electronics "canned air" from Radio Shack. With that, you hold the aerosol can upside down so you get pure CO2 propellant which will freeze the bolt. When the action is really almost too hot to touch and the bolt suddenly freezes, you get a lot more clearance because the action has expanded and the bolt has contracted. Then you move really quickly to tap the bolt open.

I'm betting that a primer popped out or a case length was too long or something like that, but who knows?

I used my brass cleaning rods to get the casing to back out.

The ammo I used was Remington Express-Core-Lokt 30-06 Springfield 180gr PSP R30065

I have used this type for my 30-30, never had an issue.

Bad primmer?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads