JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Bolt-guns obsolete?

• Yes, the guys in Arizona are right!

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • No, they are full of it!

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • Eh ... yes, but they overstated their case.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Dunno ... whatever.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • (burp) Eh .. wut? Arizona Tea as a mixer or sumth'n?

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
After some thought, I think if I had a good magnum caliber bolt gun for long range and anti materiel use and a semi auto for anti personnel use I would be set. 2 guns would be a bit much to hump, but doable.

I would compare the bolt gun to the stick shift. One's skillset should include both.
Yes. (Throw in lever action rifles too!)

I ALWAYS owned and bought stick shift cars and trucks.

I learned to drive using a stick shift. You could drive any transmission if you took your test using a manual transmission. But if you took your test using an automatic transmission - your MD DL would be marked ONLY for that.

The last vehicle which I sold was an SUV, not mine - it was my late husband's, and one of the LAST three vehicles left from back there.

I don't even remember how many speeds for the automatic - it had SEVERAL - lol.

He only ever owned 2 vehicles out of many that had an automatic transmission too.
ALL of the others were a stick shift.

ALL of the tractors, etc. were stick shift too. From a 1942 one that he fixed up to modern ones.

I hardly EVER DROVE that SUV and it had very low miles on it too. I kept reaching for the FLOOR TO SHIFT A MANUAL TRANSMISSION and my left foot always wanted to go to a CLUTCH that was not there. LOL

Cate

Re "obsolete"... good arrows help but at the end of the day it's still the skill of the Indian. A centerpunched scumbag getting up and saying "Yeah, he ONLY shot me with a Brown Bess musket!" is right up there with Unicorns Humping in the "Things You Will Never See" department... doesn't make Brown Bess the best choice for any job outside reenacting, just means that you shouldn't casually dismiss ANY weapon especially one potentially pointed at you.

You really need to watch the video to understand the context of the "bolt actions are obsolete" claim.

They weren't saying that bolt actions in general civilian use are obsolete, just that bolt actions as a main infantry weapon issued to soldiers in a military force are obsolete. Could Mausers, Mosins, or Enfield compare with FALs or M16s in that context? Of course not.

In that specific context, bolt actions were obsolete a long time ago.

I enjoy the Forgotten Weapons videos. Ian is a total gun nerd, and I appreciate that. :) I don't watch his videos because I think he's the final word in all things firearms or anything like that. I watch them because they're interesting and entertaining.

If we are going with a Military use....
Having been shot at with various Mauser , Mosin Nagant and Lee Enfield rifles...
I can say that they still work for the job at hand...saw too many others get hit , wounded or dead by those who used them.

Now I am not saying that any of the above ought to replace the M16 / M4 series of rifles we have...
Just saying that any rifle in the hands of someone who is willing to use it ...is not obsolete in my book.

Others may differ...and that is fine , for them...but I still remain with my opinion.
Andy

If we are going with a Military use....
Having been shot at with various Mauser , Mosin Nagant and Lee Enfield rifles...
I can say that they still work for the job at hand...saw too many others get hit , wounded or dead by those who used them.

Now I am not saying that any of the above ought to replace the M16 / M4 series of rifles we have...
Just saying that any rifle in the hands of someone who is willing to use it ...is not obsolete in my book.

Others may differ...and that is fine , for them...but I still remain with my opinion.
Andy
I understand what you're saying, and agree to a large extent, but I think we're talking apples and oranges a little bit.

Just because something is obsolete, doesn't mean it isn't still usable. The word "obsolete" I've noticed is controversial, and tends to bring about emotional reactions from some people (not directed at you Andy). I certainly don't mean it in any derogatory way. Even a flintlock is as deadly as it ever was, and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one.

For example, I was once talking to a collector and we were looking at a WWII jeep. I said something about them being obsolete and he took offense. No way, he said, they're still a great little vehicle, and good and useful as they ever were.

No argument there, but from a factual, practical, military perspective, the venerable old jeep is absolutely obsolete.

Obsolete: adjective 1. no longer produced or used; out of date

Fact- Front line bolt-action, infantry rifles are no longer produced or issued and used, by any major military force for their original purpose. By modern military standards, they are very much out of date. They are the very definition of obsolete, for that particular purpose. As much as I hate to say it, the same goes for flintlocks, cap-and-ball revolvers, and trapdoor Springfields, and any number of other firearms that I absolutely love to own and shoot. They're not obsolete for my purposes. :)

I once got into a similar disagreement by calling the M1 Garand obsolete. I have, well, more than one M1, and I'm a huge fan, but they are also absolutely, definitely obsolete for their original purpose. I still like them, and they're still a very effective, useful rifle, but the reality is that they are no longer produced or issued as a front line infantry rifle anywhere in the world in the 21st century. Why not? They're obsolete.

The 1911 is a little bit different. You would think it should be obsolete by now (and some Glock fans will insist that it is), but even by strict definition it is not. More 1911s are made now than ever. It's widely used not only by civilians, but it still has a presence in law enforcement in many places, and even a limited military role (I've been told). That's pretty impressive for a 110 year old design.

Modern bolt action hunting rifles, on the other hand, are absolutely not obsolete. They are widely produced and used for their intended purpose. Some may argue they're out of date, but that's pretty subjective, and you can't argue with production and usage. Some say that revolvers are obsolete. Well, maybe for military use, but otherwise heck no!

The word "obsolete" is pretty subjective in itself. You have to ask by what standard, and for what purpose? As Andy mentioned, for the Afghani hiding in a cave with his ratty WWI-era SMLE, that old rifle suits his needs for the moment and is quite useful. His cousin in the next village over is probably hammering out crude copies of it as we type! :) Hard to call it truly obsolete from that perspective.

Last Edited:
Yes and yes. Technically the black one is a wood stock too, just painted.
¡Muchas gracias! Those do look of interest. (Though mental fixation in recent time is set on carbine antics that I hope to kick around later. However later; at present mind preoccupied with evening technical labors, accompanied by the whirl and rush of little ones and wifely sidekick. But, I digress. Well wishes, my friend. :))

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top