JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Bolt-guns obsolete?

• Yes, the guys in Arizona are right!

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • No, they are full of it!

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • Eh ... yes, but they overstated their case.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Dunno ... whatever.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • (burp) Eh .. wut? Arizona Tea as a mixer or sumth'n?

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
The guys are right, bolt guns are obsolete. However they are still dangerous in a good man's hands.
Comparatively, for military uses, yes.

It depends in part on the makeup of the forces opposing one another - their experience/training, the terrain, and the tactics they employ. Whether I have a bolt action or a semi, I would not want to go against a well trained and experience professional military unit of equal size.

OTOH, if some criminal gang with no or little military experience/training/skill comes tromping up the mountain armed with semi/full autos, and a larger force of ex-military civilians are hidden on the mountain in a good ambush layout, but with only bolt/lever actions, then the gang will probably have a bad day - e.g., 50 civilians against 10-20 gang members, the amount of fire power the civilians could lay down in an ambush, if done properly would not be trivial.

I would guess that is probably one reason when gangs are recruiting ex-military and why they want gang members to join the military. Not sure how effective that strategy would be though.

Comparatively, for military uses, yes.

It depends in part on the makeup of the forces opposing one another - their experience/training, the terrain, and the tactics they employ. Whether I have a bolt action or a semi, I would not want to go against a well trained and experience professional military unit of equal size.

OTOH, if some criminal gang with no or little military experience/training/skill comes tromping up the mountain armed with semi/full autos, and a larger force of ex-military civilians are hidden on the mountain in a good ambush layout, but with only bolt/lever actions, then the gang will probably have a bad day - e.g., 50 civilians against 10-20 gang members, the amount of fire power the civilians could lay down in an ambush, if done properly would not be trivial.

I would guess that is probably one reason when gangs are recruiting ex-military and why they want gang members to join the military. Not sure how effective that strategy would be though.
Being an old ...gentleman I can remember at least one bolt gun used to change the course of destiny. JFK was murdered with an old bolt gun.

Yet the gents are talking bolt guns as front line weapons of war so there is no doubt in a modern army fighting a modern war that bolt guns are relegated to special purpose issue.

I wonder if the gents would ever set up their challenges to fit an apocalypse.

I'm on my 2nd bolt gun. My first Savage 111 30-06 was during $1+ per round. Too much at the time for shooting paper. Currently Ruger American 308. Stored up on cheap ammo this time but I don't shoot it any better than my AR10.

I do have a different experience and more relaxed sessions with the bolt gun. I think the semi auto is more versatile but I don't hunt. Just my experience so far.

I don't think the military will use many bolt actions anymore as they have plenty of money to spend, or at least they say they do, on all sorts of state of the art semi autos and select fire weapons. They likely see the semi auto / select fire options as a benefit over the manual operating weapons. So maybe in that sense they are dead.

In the public realm, they will never die.

And there is the hilarious follow-up.

Well each to his own, I disparage no man for his choices, even if he brings in an expert to disparage me. If you are secure in your faith/system/belief, why should I try to dissuade you or you me. If your system fails I will happily give you one of mine. In the end we are are brothers seeking a common goal.

A "classic", as much as a three year old video can be, from In Range TV:

Within the parameters they are talking about: agree or disagree?
I voted:

NO, they are full of it!

I did not watch the video but I may later on.

Bolt action rifles, lever action rifles, single shot rifles, etc. are NOT obsolete.

Maybe some people do not like them but there ARE PLENTY OF US who do like them a LOT.

My husband will laugh at this when he has his morning coffee in a few minutes here - close to 5AM!

Cate
PS: My husband let some younger men that he KNOWS well shoot a couple of his rifles within the last 2 months. They fell in love with his bolt action and lever action rifles. One of them had never shot a 45-70 caliber rifle too. They mainly SHOOT and only know .223 caliber semi automatic rifles in various brands. I think that they shot 22lr rifles but those were mainly in semi automatic rifles. It was eye opening for them. They do shoot semi automatic pistols too.

It was kind of like MANY YEARS AGO out here in MT when a woman in her 20's was fascinated watching me shoot some s/a revolvers, d/a revolvers and lever action rifles. Former firearms of mine. (I did not own any bolt action rifles at the time.)

ALL she was ever exposed to outside of the range was semi automatic rifles. I do not think that she owned a handgun but I CRS on that now. Anyway, she did not know much about other types of firearms other than the AR platform and the .223 caliber. (I am NOT knocking that platform when I mention this. I am just not INTO them even though I have shot several and my husband used to own one that was a tack driver too.)

A "classic", as much as a three year old video can be, from In Range TV:

Within the parameters they are talking about: agree or disagree?
I can't put a HA HA sign and a SAD sign in the same post here. LOL

My husband is laughing when I showed him this thread too.

I will play the video now.

Cate

Not really a fan of "In Range" or "Forgotten Weapons"...so
I took a page from Certaindeaf's book , and....Didn't click.

In any event...
"Obsolete" all depends on the person viewing said item.
I like bolt actions...so for me...and what I use a rifle for , bolt actions ain't obsolete.
And I don't need some talking head trying to tell me otherwise.

In fact compared to what I normally shoot , bolt actions are pretty damn modern....:D
Andy

Well each to his own, I disparage no man for his choices, even if he brings in an expert to disparage me. If you are secure in your faith/system/belief, why should I try to dissuade you or you me. If your system fails I will happily give you one of mine. In the end we are are brothers seeking a common goal.
Good one. Thank you!

Cate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top