Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Bolt Gun advise

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by beranimus, Nov 1, 2014.

1. beranimus

beranimus Veneta Active Member

So I am wondering what the difference in the receiver/action of the Savage Axis vs something like the Savage 10pc or similar.

Basically I've got $1200 to spend on a firearm. So I'm thinking a bolt gun. I'm interested in the Savage 10PC but I'm wondering if I could get something like the a Savage Axis for cheap and swap out the barrel and stock and have a better rifle than an off the shelf 10PC.

Im also wanting to know what if anything would need to be done to the action to improve it. I'm relatively new to bolt guns. I've shot them but not nearly as much as pistols or semiautos.

I'm sure you all know this but looks like a Savage axis is $250 to $300 where as the 10PC is in the $800 range.

Thanks for the advise

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

What will the rifle be used for?

Rem 700's are nice if you have the funds for one.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

This is the key question.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. beranimus

Maybe hunting but mostly just target shooting. Ideally suppressed but not for a year or so. But within 500 yards. I was looking more for a Savage or possibly Tikka T3. But $1200 is my budget. Just trying to maximize my dollar. And if there any left over get a few hundred dollar scope until I can get something better.

5. DieselScout

1200 for rifle and glass?

6. beranimus

If possible. But maybe just the rifle. My thinking was a Savage 10pc or similar for $750ish and the rest on cheap glass until I can get something better. Just wanted to see if I could build something better for around the same money or maybe a bit more up to the $1200.

7. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Axis rifles are mass produced and I can't imagine the action being very refined. They are cheap for reason. The 10 PC action might not be much better though as it too is a production action, but I would hope for the cost Savage pays a little more attention to the production of it. In my opinion neither of them would be worth investing much money in trying to improve them. And even if you did spend the money, not sure you would realize much accuracy improvements. Savage uses a floating bolt head that is suppose to mitigate imperfections in the action.

Buying a cheap rifle and trying to make it better is very expensive. You said a new barrel and stock. A good barrel and chamber job is going to start around $500 and a decent stock will cost you at least $300. This is assuming you can find a gunsmith willing to re-barrel an Axis rifle. Not sure anyone makes an after market stock for them. A Remington model 700 yes but with the Axis maybe not.

What sort of accuracy are you after and what caliber are you thinking?

orygun likes this.
  8. DieselScout

Here is my suggest, first skip the Axis, it is an entry level rifle and while will shoot well, with your budget you can afford better. For your budget, here is what I would suggest.

Start with the Savage 10-T, you can only get them ONLY at Cabela's and the are $599.99
    Savage 10-T

You get a heavy barrel, with 5R rifling and a 1:10 twist (better for heavier target bullets), accu-trigger, accu-stock, and a 0 MOA EGW rail. When I bought mine the rail was not in the box, but I call Savage and had it almost 24 hour later no questions asked. Cabela's also offered me a discount because the rail was missing, they couldn't reduce the cost of the firearm, but took some money off my Scope.

It's a great way to start a target rifle, it's got some great options. The only downside of the rifle is it has the bottom bolt release, which mean it doesn't have the stock selections as other Savages, but it still has a really good selections of upgrades when the time comes, chassis included. I topped mine with a Redfield Battlezone 3x9x40 scope. It has a MOA reticule with MOA turrets, but is second focal plane (you have to be on 9 power for the reticule to be scaled correctly to use it to measure.) It's not a hindrance, just something you have to be aware of. The scope for me is great, the click adjustments are spot on. The package out the door ran me $810 and I am very happy with it.

Since you've got a $1200 budget, I would search for budget long range scope reviews. And do some reading before making your choice. I am happy with my Battlezone, but if I could have stepped up to a Vortex I probably would have. I've seen people recommend Vortex, Falcon Menace, Primary Arm and you maybe able to even afford a good SWFA single power. Regardless, do some research on your own and make your own choice depending on budget.

Second option would be to wait, watch the classifieds and buy a package someone has already invested money into. You can get quality rifle and components for a deal if your willing to wait.

If you don't want to go Savage, Remington's are great for a base for a project, and look into the new Tikka CTR. I am not sure of the price, looks like a great rifle.

Here area few five shot groups, factory ammo right after getting it sighted in.

IMG_20140320_163417971.jpg

Same ammo, second group.

IMG_20140320_153937498.jpg

Not record winners, but great considering factory ammo with about 25 rounds total through the gun.

orygun likes this.
  9. beranimus

Thanks for all the input everyone. As always I really appreciate it.

10. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I can appreciate the idea of "building your own", but I'd suggest not starting with an entry level, non popular item.
    While I am not a Remington 700 "fan", you would have to be out of your mind to not understand they are so popular when someone wants a rifle for accuracy. Savage has a good rep, too, but don't start at the "bottom".
    My wants and needs for a rifle are different, but if I was looking at doing the long range target "thing", I'd probably go with the 700 action because there are so many good pieces available for it.
    Either that or just buy a new version of what you're looking for. $1200 will buy a pretty darn nice rifle.

11. beranimus

Good advice. Thanks

12. Whaler

Whaler Sequim, WA Well-Known Member

13. muskoka

muskoka Member

The CZs are very nice. You could also buy a Stevens 200, if you want to go a more inexpensive route, swap the stock out for a better one, and that way you would have lots of money left over to put some very nice glass on the top. The Stevens are accurate, inexpensive and light enough for hunting.

14. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I bought a Stevens 200 in 308 a few years back; with the exception of an upgraded trigger there are NO after MKT parts because the dang thing will not accept a Savage replacement stock. The Stevens stock is so flimsy that a piece of Styrofoam is placed in the butt to keep it from collapsing. The recoil was brutal.
    Go Savage or Rem.

15. muskoka

muskoka Member

Bell and Carlson makes the Duramaxx stock that will replace the Stevens factory stock. Not expensive either.

16. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ruger Gunsight Scout > most out of the box.

17. beranimus

I ended up with the Savage 10-T. Thanks for the advice everyone.

muskoka and Joe13 like this.
  18. AMT

AMT Vancouver, WA. Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I was in the same boat. Had a budget and kept looking, reading and asking questions. I finally decided the Savage 111 XP Trophy Hunter in 7mm Win Mag. Got one while a sale was going on, with a Savage mail in rebate(of $75) and with a Nikon BDC 3-9x40 scope mounted on it. Total, after the mail in, was $395.

Found a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 this past weekend for $700, with a 10% off discount for being on their mailing list, and in-store gift card for $50 for spending more than $400. Total for the scope was around $580.

Now am looking for a good scope mount.

Keep looking. You can get an excellent package for your $1200!!!

FWIW, I looked into the Remington 700's also. I was told that anything 4-5 years old, or older, JUMP ON IT. There is no better for the price. Recently Remy's appear to have gone downhill a little - OR - the other manufacturers have raised the bar and Remy is still skirting on reputation? For what you get stock with the Savages you have to pay extra for on the Remy's (bolt/action/trigger work, etc). AND the Savages start around $150-$175 less than the Remy's. For out of the box, Savages seem to be the best deal right now.

This is what I found and the reason's I went with Savage.

My $0.02.

19. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I think you're doing it backwards. Buy a used Remington 700 and an $800 scope.

20. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member