JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I changed out every part i think I could, trigger, bolt, FP BCG spring, weights. The thing that really pisses me off is that every once in while something works and then you can not repeat it. If it would just stay one thing, I could work on it. AArrrgghhhh!!!
Nice build. It does look like your hammer spring is in correctly, so that's out. The marring from the cam pin should tell you something is out of spec, or incompatible causing the issue you are experiencing. Getting the head space gauges is good idea, but won't do you and good until you figure out why the receiver is getting chewed up. Need to consider the BCG, receiver and barrel extension.
I think you are correct

It's really difficult to decipher AR issues over the web. At this point, since I know you have been struggling with this one for a bit, I recommend finding a gunsmith and having them look it over.

Aside from the issue that the OP is having with the AR, he said in a earlier post that due to his location, there aren't any gunsmiths he can take it to, nor does he know anyone locally with the required knowledge and skill set to help him, thus the reason for him reaching out to the good folks here in the forum.

Sounds like he is stuck between a rock a hard place. I do wish him the best in getting everything figured out though.....

Did you ever post pictures as requested in another one of your threads? i.e. hammer/spring, the light primer strike, ect.
Thanks for thinking of this problem. I am learning what I don't know. Here's some pics. The colored arrows are points getting hit by the BCG the Yellow is where I'm thinking of milling off a bit. Here's why. I took the barrel off and I put a shell with primer only in battery by locking it into the bolt. The bolt went into the barrel and camed over. When I tapped the FP the primer fired? It seems if I mill the yellow and blue I wouldn't hurt anything. The yellow would take a shim and the blue? It just doesn't seem like it would matter if it were enlarged a bit?

IMG_1601.jpg IMG_1600.jpg IMG_1602.jpg IMG_1603.jpg IMG_1604.jpg IMG_1605.jpg

Cam wear on the receiver is common. It shouldn't be seen as out of spec.

Since you can chamber an empty with primer, without a lower attached, wack the firing pin and it detonates. My thoughts keep coming back to the trigger and hammer. That or the bolt and firing pin.

What I'm saying is, you obviously can wack the firing pin in a way that the hammer can't.

If you are not near a smith as @spookshack states.

Perhaps ship it to one like @Velzey who is our vetted local smith.

Reno is 100% correct. Maybe I am seeing this completely wrong, but in your photo you can see that the cam pin has taken out a chunk to make room for itself. When the cam pin fits in it's new slot, it will fire.

Your green arrow looks like its from your brass ejection, normal.

I am going to echo "get it to a smith". Don't start milling and shimming before a real pro looks at it. You can even contact the manufacturer of your parts and explain whats going on.

IMG_1600.jpg

Last Edited:
Cam wear on the receiver is common. It shouldn't be seen as out of spec.

Since you can chamber an empty with primer, without a lower attached, wack the firing pin and it detonates. My thoughts keep coming back to the trigger and hammer. That or the bolt and firing pin.

What I'm saying is, you obviously can wack the firing pin in a way that the hammer can't.

If you are not near a smith as @spookshack states.

Perhaps ship it to one like @Velzey who is our vetted local smith.
Thanks. It may come to that. In my life I've been beaten down and got back up so many times it's just a part of me. The idea that if one man can do it another can are also now my words. Pay to play is the last game plan. Mostly i guess it's how much I'm learning along this path. There are only a few parts here. And the answer is going to be something I'll I just say, 'why didn't I think of that. I really appreciate your heads up on the gunsmith. I've found that a lot of these guys don't mind giving a bit of advice. As far as trigger, bolt and FP. I've tried three different of each and multiple combinations of each. Thanks
'

Reno is 100% correct. Maybe I am seeing this completely wrong, but in your photo you can see that the cam pin has taken out a chunk to make room for itself. When the cam pin fits in it's new slot, it will fire.

Your green arrow looks like its from your brass ejection, normal.

I am going to echo "get it to a smith". Don't start milling and shimming before a real pro looks at it. You can even contact the manufacturer of your parts and explain whats going on.

View attachment 866089
Thanks for your time and thoughts. The blue marks are coming from another bolt BCG and not the bolt. The ones that don't fit hit this area. So I was wondering if this should be enlarged? I would love to chat with the manufacture except they went out of business about 10 years ago. DPMS knock offs. This issue may be part of why their no arround?

What weight is your buffer? Also have you replaced the buffer spring?
Don't mill anything yet....
What diameter is your gas hole on your barrel?
These are great questions and I've devilled into this in the past. However. The issue at hand is that the first round will not fire. I'll start with a case and primer. Put in an empty mag. Lock back the BCG. Hit the release and pull the trigger. I may be wrong here but I think only the spring and weight would make a difference at this stage? Here I've tried four different spring and four different weights. I only have on rifle weight. The charging is the BCG is hard. So I tried pulling back the BCG with different amounts of forward action. Still nothing. If that makes sense. I've also tried three different charging handles. So...?

Thanks. It may come to that. In my life I've been beaten down and got back up so many times it's just a part of me. The idea that if one man can do it another can are also now my words. Pay to play is the last game plan. Mostly i guess it's how much I'm learning along this path. There are only a few parts here. And the answer is going to be something I'll I just say, 'why didn't I think of that. I really appreciate your heads up on the gunsmith. I've found that a lot of these guys don't mind giving a bit of advice. As far as trigger, bolt and FP. I've tried three different of each and multiple combinations of each. Thanks
'
I feel ya. I'm pretty hands on. I have learned over my years, that I don't know everything. I also don't own every tool out there! Sometimes that's the key. The right tool. In this case it might be a no-go gauge. It might be in need of a professional. Hard to say. I know you have been struggling with this one for a bit. That's the reason I think it might be time for the professional!

Either way, I hope you get it fixed up and get to start enjoying its use as intended.

These are great questions and I've devilled into this in the past. However. The issue at hand is that the first round will not fire. I'll start with a case and primer. Put in an empty mag. Lock back the BCG. Hit the release and pull the trigger. I may be wrong here but I think only the spring and weight would make a difference at this stage? Here I've tried four different spring and four different weights. I only have on rifle weight. The charging is the BCG is hard. So I tried pulling back the BCG with different amounts of forward action. Still nothing. If that makes sense. I've also tried three different charging handles. So...?
I may be wrong but it seems that you have used alternate parts for everything in the system, with the same result except the barrel extension. Try a new/different barrel and see if it changes the result.

I may be wrong but it seems that you have used alternate parts for everything in the system, with the same result except the barrel extension. Try a new/different barrel and see if it changes the result.
Heck yeah I would. But I don't have... Hey wait. Your right! That black rain that I've been interchanging parts with. It definitely
I feel ya. I'm pretty hands on. I have learned over my years, that I don't know everything. I also don't own every tool out there! Sometimes that's the key. The right tool. In this case it might be a no-go gauge. It might be in need of a professional. Hard to say. I know you have been struggling with this one for a bit. That's the reason I think it might be time for the professional!

Either way, I hope you get it fixed up and get to start enjoying its use as intended.
Thanks. Nice words. I just ordered a few gauges. Ridge Walker also gave me an idea. Here's what happened with an hour on the internet. The company that used to be the company who had these parts made and private label is in AZ and their supposed to look at my problem. Geeze i hope this happens. If not, I'll see ya all soon.
has a barrel. Thanks, No idea why I didn't think of that. Great idea! Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top