JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Beginner question for all of you. Not for any hunting purposes but rather to teach my kids shooting at a range, which would you recommend? (Ruger American vs Ruger 10/22. Is there a reason to have both? I can't think of a reason to have both a bolt action and a semi automatic 22LR rifle, but maybe I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for all your answers.
I bought my daughter a Marlin XT22 bolt action tube feed and my wife the Ruger 10/22. I enjoy showing the Marlin over the Ruger every time we take them out
There is something about the trigger and the bolt action that makes the shooting a better experience with the Marlin over the Ruger.

Henry lever shoots
LR
Long and
Short

holds a lot of rounds and slows them down.
☝️ Truth!

I own a couple bolt actions. I own a 10/22, AR22, AR-7... and I own a couple Henry lever action 22's. Each of my 5 kids chose to purchase their own Henry lever 22's... 2 of them have 22lr AR conversion bolts.... and no others.

If that means anything when considering "which" 22lr long gun.

When training a new shooter with any firearm, I prefer to NOT do it with a semi auto. Yes, a single round can be inserted into the mag each time with a semi to keep things safe and under control. I guess it all depends on how much time you want to work on the mechanics of proper trigger control vs. screwing around with multiple mag changes, especially when working with younger shooters. Side benefit to single loading a semi-auto is manipulation of the other aspects needed to be learned about that certain gun, but I save that for after the person has mastered the actual shooting part of the equation.
That's my opinion, but both action styles can accommodate safe learning.
Another consideration is LOP for smaller shooters. The Marlin I started with has a butt that's so long I had to tuck it under my armpit. The Ruger 10-22 is shorter than that, but our little Henry lever action is even better (shorter). While I did it the "hard" way with too big of a gun, it really helps to make sure the gun fits the shooter which leads to better gun handling.

Get a 10/22 with an adjustable stock that way everyone can shoot the rifle and everyone can use the same rifle for years to come.
VCc6uS1.jpg

I like bolt guns over semi-autos. I like the one well placed shot over the there is danger when there is lead in the air. I am prone when shooting a semi-auto to mag dump if I miss with the first round or two. That is why I don't own any semi-auto rifles. An intersting side note to me anyway is I don't mag dump pistols because I wait for the sight picture to recover before I pull the trigger on the next shot.

Just bought yet another bolt action .22 rifle , yesterday at the gun show.
It is a Remington 512 from July of 1942.
Damn good shape for its age...and a excellent bore.

I like bolt action .22 rifles 'cause as a general rule they ain't too picky 'bout what ammo you use.

I have a Remington 510 single shot bolt action rifle and it will shoot .22 Short , Long or LongRifle.
What is handy 'bout that is , if .22 ammo gets scarce again...I have options , which may not be the same for a different rifle.
Andy

I say bolt action only because its what my old man started me on and it brings back nostalgic memories of many afternoons spent with it and a single box (or a partial) of 50.

I say bolt action only because its what my old man started me on and it brings back nostalgic memories of many afternoons spent with it and a single box (or a partial) of 50.
Well, when you get down to it, that may explain part of my thought process. This is mine. Was Dad's and Grandpa's before that. Dad had it at the lookout on Bedford Point for the summers in 49 and 50. It's marked in pencil under the buttplate. I made sure to not obliterate that marking when I refinished the stock about 45 years ago. I replaced the scope about 20 years ago, but still have the 3/4" tube 6x Weaver it wore forever.

81DL a.JPG

There's no friggin way this gun has been in my hands the longest so far, but it's true. I swiped it from Dad in the very late 80's and returned it to him long enough for him to teach my two nephews to shoot, then I swiped it back.

A quality bolt rifle like the CZ or a mag fed semi, preferably 10/22. No tube feds.

The reason for a high quality bolt is they probably will have the rifle for a lifetime. For about 2x the cost of a cheap bolt rifle you can get 5x the quality in a CZ.

The reason for a mag fed semi rifle is it trains them for semi auto rifles and pistols. Understanding how to properly unload and clear a semi is important. This is the first thing I train with semi auto pistols and rifles.

I don't allow tube fed rifles for youth that I coach. I don't want them muzzling themselves to load and they are difficult to ensure they are fully unloaded.

It is the training not the rifle and semi auto vs bolt will not matter if properly trained. I know extreme examples that go against advice of starting youth with bolts with irons.

You have to learn to shoot once before you ever think about learning to shoot twice.
Absolutely!
When I taught my stepson to shoot I had a Savage Favorite, or whatever they called the re-pop. If it had been a better gun I'da kept it and that's what my grandson would have started with.

In my opinion the only benefit of the bolt action is if you want to intentionally slow down the rate of fire of the person shooting. If I was in the market for a single rifle in .22 lr it would be the Ruger 10/22.

If you want to slow down the rate of fire you could do that just as well with an Air rifle / bb gun, you don't need a .22 lr bolt action to do that with.

I think there is merit to teaching kids proper marksmanship skills and that shooting isn't just pulling the trigger as fast as you can like an idiot, but that can still be done with a semi-auto. How you set up the target practice session is going to be more impactful that the rifle choice, regardless of it being bolt-action or semi.

"In my opinion the only benefit of the bolt action is if you want to intentionally slow down the rate of fire of the person shooting."

BINGO.

It may or may not be the "only" benefit of a bolt action for training purposes, but it certainly is one of the greatest benefits.

And intentionally removing even the possibility of a second shot to correct a human error in the first shot is the very essence of teaching good shooting.

The gun itself is participating in "setting up the target practice session", leaving the coach to concentrate on things other than, "Take your time".

One less "rule" for the pupil and the teacher to worry about. The gun is taking care of it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top